Shotgun question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    So I was thinking about picking up another shotgun for general purpose and I have it narrowed down to 2. I can buy either one used for 250.00.

One is a Mossberg 835 Ultramag (camo'ed) and the other is a Remongton 870 Super Express Magnum w' 24" VR bbl.

Now this will first and foremost be a hunting weapon (Turkey, Dove, etc...)

Which one? I've owned several 870's in the past, but not the Super Mag and have never owned the Mossberg before...

Help?

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mossy. Plenty of aftermarket/replacement parts, relatively easy to tear down and clean, and dependable...and it has a camo paint job!

If you plan on throwing some 3.5" shells in it, make sure you *shuk shuk* the shotgun like a man! ;) It does have a long action, but that is expected with any shotty that is going to hold long @$$ shells. I do not own one, but I have a friend who used his back in the day for geese. He never had a problem it. Not very familiar with the Remmy.

97.gif

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    So I was thinking about picking up another shotgun for general purpose and I have it narrowed down to 2. I can buy either one used for 250.00.

One is a Mossberg 835 Ultramag (camo'ed) and the other is a Remongton 870 Super Express Magnum w' 24" VR bbl.

Now this will first and foremost be a hunting weapon (Turkey, Dove, etc...)

Which one? I've owned several 870's in the past, but not the Super Mag and have never owned the Mossberg before...

Help?

BTW, at 250 a piece...you should buy them both.......

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I have a 590 and have never had an problems with it.
    The 870 is eternal.

But then I'm old enough to remember carrying Ithacas..................................

craftkr

Carpe Diem
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2007
    Rockport, Texas
    I would go with the Mossberg,
    I have a 1000, and a 935, and a 500. I love Mossbergs, and I can kill as much with them as the big money guns. I haven't had a problem with any of mine.

mudder

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    cenla
    I have a 870 wingmaster and the 835
    I like my wingmaster better, but I have been shooting it since '84
    the mossberg hasn't failed me yet in the 2 years I've owned it

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Speaking of "extra training" reminded me of the guy that shot the limbs out of the pine trees behind the Buddy Ellis range.......
    :rofl:
    You should remember that one!

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    OK guys....

Update here.

I wound up getting the 870 and another shotgun as well (not the Mossberg I mentioned).

I bought the 870 for 2 reasons:
    1 - It had a 21" bbl
    2 - It's a mid 90's production and the trigger assembly is metal (not plastic like the new ones).

The other gun, I happened to run across is this sweet Winchester model 1200 (Pre-1964) with a 6 digit s/n, so it HAD to go with my collection (*cough* safe queen *cough*).

Anyway, if someone is looking for additional shotguns, here are 2 good leads on some used shotguns...

Cabelas - had a Mossberg 835 Ultramag in camo with a 21" bbl for 249.00

Hebert's has a Rem 870 Express Magnum with a 26" VR bbl for 250.00

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    +1 on the 835 mossy. took mine to tennessee years ago to shoot canadians (uh, the geese that is) and i held my own against all the guys shooting the browning 10's. real versatile shotgun with many parts available.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    There both good. I had an 870 when I was a LEO that was carried in each of our patrol units. The more they were used the smoother the actions got. Never a problem. So many accessories for them nowadays.

There is a sleeper out there. It's the New England Pardner 12 gauge. It's identical to the 870 (everything interchangeable except the barrels) and it is rated higher in the reviews than the 870's and you can get them at great prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom