Shotguns for Squirrels

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Most squirrel hunting I've done has been with a .22 rimfire of various sorts. But that hunting was usually in the midst of a large and isolated game reserve where the elevated shots had no chance of hurting someone downrange.

In the past few years I've been hunting much closer to civilization, so have been using a shotgun, mostly an inherited Stevens 311 with 30-inch double barrels made in 1953. That old gun knocks them dead with only one problem: at the short ranges I often have to shoot at when leaves are on the trees, the old 12 gauge can make them look like Swiss Squirrels from its modified and full choke barrels. I sometimes aim slightly away from them when very close, but it's hard to determine just where to aim when under the pressure of making a shot in the typical hurried circumstances. It just comes naturally to aim directly at the target (unless it's a long shot at a running target, then leadiing the target comes more naturally.)

I have decided to expand the flexibility of my shotgun hunting. Last year I bought a 12 gauge Mossberg Model 500 "Turkey Thug" with an extra full screw-in choke on its 24-inch ribbed barrel with rifle sights. I use that very tight tube exclusively for late-season squirrels when all the leaves are gone and most shots are at longer ranges more suitable for my old .22s. I have found it truly reaches way up into the trees to bring home the goodies.

However, for hunting at closer ranges in the earlier parts of the season, I bought a screw-in PolyChoke, called the PolyChoke II, to fit the Mossberg's barrel. It adjusts from super-wide open (even larger than bore size) to what they call "X-tra Full." I've found the "X-tra Full" is not quite so; it's more like "Lt-Full". But it's still about a full choke, so it's good for many longer shots.

The PolyChoke seems to be just what I've been looking for in achieving the flexibility I had with the .22s. It takes only a couple of seconds to select a wider pattern for those close shots. I bought the PolyChoke model that has a cage on the front. This elongates the choke by 1.25", making the choke a total of about 3" long. But, the ventilated cage allowed me a place to paint small white marks to show the choke positions, making it easy to accurately adjust which choke I need. This is important when you discover a squirrel moving close in and don't have time to look closely at the choke.

Well, it's a slow day so just thought I'd talk about my latest shotguns-for-squirrels ideas.

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    That's pretty cool, good info.

Since you had a double barrel I think I would have opened a shell and removed some pellets and maybe a tiny bit of powder to make a close range load.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If you are hell bent on sticking with the shotguns; other than actually aiming directly at the head, you are probably using the best approach to both worlds of distance. I can never go back to the shotgun for squirrels because it's just too damn messy when you break the gut bag.

One thing you should try, if you aren't already, is a larger shot size in that set up. In my shot gun days I settled in for #5 lead shot because it was obviously less pellets to destroy and had the reach for those giant pine tree shots.

You mention that you are worried about using a .22 for safety reasons?!? Just FYI; Mythbusters disproved the lethalness of the falling bullet (.45). In fairness, it was straight up and down. I guess at a 45 degree angle it could possible inflict some pain.

Don't discount the accuracy of a fully choked shotgun either.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    You mention that you are worried about using a .22 for safety reasons?!? Just FYI; Mythbusters disproved the lethalness of the falling bullet (.45). In fairness, it was straight up and down. I guess at a 45 degree angle it could possible inflict some pain.

In that same episode, they had an ER doctor show x-rays of bullets in heads and stuff from falling celebratory gunfire. I would not discount the danger of bullets shot into the air.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    For the longest time NO had a problem every July 4th with falling celebratory bullets. Even if a bullet slows to terminal velocity on the way back down, it can do damage to your "celebrellum" ;)

MikeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Well, I used the PolyChoke's versatility in a classic fashion this week.

I was sitting in the woods in a brushy patch for cover with tall trees surrounding me. I spotted a fox squirrel in the treetops about 40 yards away. Since I normally leave the PolyChoke on an open setting in case a bushytail suddenly shows up close by, I quickly dialed to a full choke setting in case I got a shot at the squirrel I had spotted.

Well, darn if he didn't start moving in my direction. I've had this happen a number of times through the years. I think it results from me being spotted by the squirrel, but sitting still enough to not alarm him or tip him off as to exactly what I am, especially since I was obscured by some brush. As he came close in, I dialed to an open setting on the choke. The shot I finally got was from just maybe 15 yards away. The squirrel had stopped in the brush on a small tree limb, trying to figure out what I was. Although I couldn't clearly see the squirrel through the light brushy leaves, I could tell where he was and took the shot. He hit the ground dead.

If I had used a full choke at that close distance, the squirrel would likely have gotten too many of the No 6 shot and perhaps be ruined for eating, or the small pattern could have missed him completely from aiming error in the brush. As it turned out, the relatively wide open pattern from the open choke setting that I had dialed into the PolyChoke because of the very close range was just enough to put maybe a half dozen shot in him, plenty for a quick kill but not enough to ruin the meal.

This little 80-year-old invention really works. It looks to me like our forefathers knew what they were doing when they began using them in decades past. The general use of screw-in chokes nowadays have largely superseded the PolyChoke, but they can't give me the instant dial-a-distance choke setting I need for my type of squirrel hunting nowadays. And, I don't have to carry around a number of choke tubes, which is a pain in the...pocket.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I've used .22's, 20ga, and 12 ga, and all were great. I've never obliterated a squirrel to the point where it wasn't edible.

I'll tell you what though, I've killed more squirrels with an air rifle than anything else. A Daisy 880 pumper, no less. I believe it was the combination of accuracy, and low noise level that highly contributed to it's success.

Also, I don't sit and wait. I walk-hunt. Stalk hunt you could say I suppose.

Best of luck to you.

I agree that the old adjustable chokes were better as well. I had a Mossy 20ga with the adjustable choke on it, and that was a great squirrel getter.

Top Bottom