should i get rhe glock 17 or beretta 92fs please help!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmb88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    St. Tammany Parish, La
    i have a keltec p-11 for cc it is going to be a range/truck gun, i also want to look into competition shooting. i heard from some friends the sd9ve is a good choice at half the price...im also considering a 40 instead of a 9mm, since i have one already or would it be better for me to get a full size in 9mm? i have never shot a 40 or 45. lol i just cant decide! looking for information basically.

Stoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 29, 2014
    NOLA
    I welcome you to come shoot with us, bring your own ammo LOL.
    I have a bit of everything, the group I shoot with has the remaining!

cmb88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    St. Tammany Parish, La
    i have heard if i want the glock and to same money for ammo and other things get the sd9ve, and is i want the beretta get the tristar 120...... from what ive seen on youtube they arent bad weapons...i cant decide lol i over analyze them!

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    i have heard if i want the glock and to same money for ammo and other things get the sd9ve, and is i want the beretta get the tristar 120...... from what ive seen on youtube they arent bad weapons...i cant decide lol i over analyze them!

Don't do that. Buy the Glock first. The SD9VE is trash. There is a used Glock 19 on here right now for $375.

JR1572

Poorboy504

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Westbank/nola
    I have the Beretta 92fs, Glock 17, and SD40VE.

Here's my take: the 92fs is my range gun--smooth, comfortable to shoot, low recoil and easy to get on target--would also make a good home defense weapon.

The G17 would be my ideal home defense handgun--easy to use, predictable trigger pull, and reliable as heck. Plus, it's easy to modify to your wants or needs.

Finally, the SD40VE would be in last place. The quality is not comparable to the other two pistols. It's a truck gun or home defense gun you wouldn't really miss when the police take it for evidence. I paid $300 plus tax for it, which is a helluva deal for a reliable, name-brand handgun. But I put in an Apex trigger spring kit, Apex glock-like trigger (I hate that hinged trigger), and M&P steel front and rear sights (stock sight is plastic). So, I spent another hundred ($400 total); and it still isn't on par with the glock. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice piece; but in the back of my head, I should have just got an XD40 from the start. If all you want to spend is $300, the SD40VE is the one you want.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Three quality polymer pistols at a reasonable price with good triggers for range work.
    1. HK VP9.
    2. Walther PPQ.
    3. Sig P320.

If the budget is about $600, then those are all better choices than the Glock. The factory trigger on all three of those is better and they are considered even more reliable. I have a .40 PPQ and love it! However, my primary house gun is the Glock 20 10mm. One of my favorite range toys is the Glock 17L with the factory 33 round mags.

SteelHorseCowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    I can't stand GLOCK, but between the choices I'd have to pick it. Only because I discovered in the Marines that my hands are really too small for the Beretta :(

Can't get a good grip. Have to readjust every couple shots. That's no good in any shooting situation.

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step shall be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Which fits in your hand better?

Do you have or intend to purchase a carbine that accepts either magazine? Another pistol that uses the same magazines?

Which one do YOU want? What 500 other internet commandos want/think shouldn't matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Don't do that. Buy the Glock first. The SD9VE is trash. There is a used Glock 19 on here right now for $375.

JR1572

Why haven't we added the "like" button yet?

I've only seen three SD9VE's in the wild. They all had atrocious triggers. One had repeated FTF's thanks to light primer strikes. Another one required a teacup grip to function reliably, otherwise the mag would literally drop out under recoil. It's the result of S&W doing a crappy job trying to make a Glock. The G19 is one of the most depended upon handguns in the world for a reason.

I don't really see much benefit in going with the 17 over the 19, besides a longer sight radius.

I've never fired a 92fs though, so no opinion there.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I own a Beretta 92FS and a Glock 17.

I carry a Glock 19. Like the other guys have suggested- the 19 "IS WHAT THEY SAY IT IS!" If you haven't done so, check one out! :)

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have a bunch of 9mm glocks, and two beretta 92's. One is a FS, the other is a D. The D is DAO with a slick slide and the same long trigger pull every time. If I didn't have the glocks the 92D Centurion would be my go-to gun. Simple to use and I have a ton of magazines for it.

If it had a light rail and a dovetailed front sight, it would be almost perfect.

JR1572

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Don't do that. Buy the Glock first. The SD9VE is trash. There is a used Glock 19 on here right now for $375

JR1572

What makes you say the SD9VE is trash? Just curious?

I have one that I haven't done any mods to and I like it. I've heard the Apex trigger makes a world of difference, but I just haven;t gotten around to it yet.
    I've shot reloads from Freedom Munitions and regular cheap Winchester, Federal and Remington ammo through it without any issues. It eats them all. I shoot at Honey Island which is about 40 minutes from me. I don't go there just to shoot for an hour when I go. If I had to guess, I'd say that I've shot about 3,000 round through it so far. Cleaned it three times. Like I said, no issues with it so far.

As far as how it shoots, I'm constantly getting better with my grouping. Couldn't tell you exactly how small of big it is though. Although last time I shot it at a friends property, I was able to fill the center ring with five holes out of the 16 cartridges in the magazine. Everything else I shot that day was within the number 8 ring or better.

I'll admit that at the time I bought it, it was a panic buy. I wanted something with a large capacity magazine before they were banned and that was what I could afford at the time. I'm currently saving pennies for a G19 and also a G17. Like others have said, I figure the 19 would be good for concealment and the 17 for more fun at the range.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    What makes you say the SD9VE is trash? Just curious?

I have one that I haven't done any mods to and I like it. I've heard the Apex trigger makes a world of difference, but I just haven;t gotten around to it yet.
    I've shot reloads from Freedom Munitions and regular cheap Winchester, Federal and Remington ammo through it without any issues. It eats them all. I shoot at Honey Island which is about 40 minutes from me. I don't go there just to shoot for an hour when I go. If I had to guess, I'd say that I've shot about 3,000 round through it so far. Cleaned it three times. Like I said, no issues with it so far.

As far as how it shoots, I'm constantly getting better with my grouping. Couldn't tell you exactly how small of big it is though. Although last time I shot it at a friends property, I was able to fill the center ring with five holes out of the 16 cartridges in the magazine. Everything else I shot that day was within the number 8 ring or better.

I'll admit that at the time I bought it, it was a panic buy. I wanted something with a large capacity magazine before they were banned and that was what I could afford at the time. I'm currently saving pennies for a G19 and also a G17. Like others have said, I figure the 19 would be good for concealment and the 17 for more fun at the range.

It's a no brainer for me. The SD9VE costs me around $300. A Glock costs me $389.

The SD9VE does not have the support (sights, availability of spare parts, holsters, etc.) the Glock has, nor does it have the luxury of saying there are hundreds of thousands of said pistol in circulation and in use by LE agencies. Yeah, I get it that the police don't shoot that much, but there are lots of Glocks out there with really high round counts that are still in service. The SD9VE cannot say that.

Look, it may work for you, and that's fantastic. I don't like them and think they're a substandard pistol. There are a few people here and on other websites that agree with me on this.

JR1572

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    It's a no brainer for me. The SD9VE costs me around $300. A Glock costs me $389.

The SD9VE does not have the support (sights, availability of spare parts, holsters, etc.) the Glock has, nor does it have the luxury of saying there are hundreds of thousands of said pistol in circulation and in use by LE agencies. Yeah, I get it that the police don't shoot that much, but there are lots of Glocks out there with really high round counts that are still in service. The SD9VE cannot say that.

Look, it may work for you, and that's fantastic. I don't like them and think they're a substandard pistol. There are a few people here and on other websites that agree with me on this.

JR1572

I'll agree that the SD9VE doesn't have the support of after market upgrades/accessories. I'll also agree that there are many others here and on other sites that will agree that they are substandard when compared to a Glock. Hell, even I would agree with you on that.

But still, what makes it trash? I'm not trying to argue, but rather understand your point. For the reasons you stated above, that shouldn't make a firearm trash. When you say something is trash, especially something I own, I'm just curious as to why you would say that. I'm not trying to be defensive of my purchase or trying to prove you wrong. I just want to see where you're coming from. Maybe there's something I'm missing or a safety issue with it that I should be concerned with.

For example, I've read lots of discussions on the Jimenez pistols. I would say that those are trash based on the lack of their materials and quality control issues. Not to mention the shady business practices and lawsuits I've read about.

If I lost you in any of this, let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I have both. I like the 92 better. Personal preference.

It's not 17 rounds versus 15. If you go with the 92a1, capacity is now equal.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I'll agree that the SD9VE doesn't have the support of after market upgrades/accessories. I'll also agree that there are many others here and on other sites that will agree that they are substandard when compared to a Glock. Hell, even I would agree with you on that.

But still, what makes it trash? I'm not trying to argue, but rather understand your point. For the reasons you stated above, that shouldn't make a firearm trash. When you say something is trash, especially something I own, I'm just curious as to why you would say that. I'm not trying to be defensive of my purchase or trying to prove you wrong. I just want to see where you're coming from. Maybe there's something I'm missing or a safety issue with it that I should be concerned with.

For example, I've read lots of discussions on the Jimenez pistols. I would say that those are trash based on the lack of their materials and quality control issues. Not to mention the shady business practices and lawsuits I've read about.

If I lost you in any of this, let me know. Thanks.

I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just saying that I believe that pistol is substandard and I wouldn't own it, or carry it. We were issued those to the ANP when I was contracting and training the guys at the range with those guns. Trust me, I've shot them enough to know I don't like them, don't trust them, and I'll do my best to make sure I never own one or be forced to carry one.

If it's any consolation, I think a bunch of pistols are trash, not just the SD9VE. I can list those if you want and watch all of their owners get miffed also.

JR1572

Top Bottom