Should Louisiana teachers be allowed to conceal carry?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    A school safety expert says he isn't aware of any of Indiana's more than 2,000 public schools where teachers carry guns.

And if he did, I'd bet my bottom dollar the dip$hit would give it away, too. :rolleyes:

lt1rx798

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Picture this...an inner city classroom made up of 35 thugs and one 26 year old 122 lb female teacher with a handgun on her person.... and the thugs know that she has the handgun. This is not going to end well..

Imagine her in the same room with the same thugs WITHOUT a gun. The weapon is what evens the odds and is more likely to "keep the peace".

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Imagine her in the same room with the same thugs WITHOUT a gun. The weapon is what evens the odds and is more likely to "keep the peace".

So you're saying teachers who are in the classroom with those thugs every day can't "keep the peace" without a gun?

This is what I'm seeing...

Problem: There is a one in a million chance that my child will be involved in a school shooting

Solution: Arm all of the teachers

New Problem: An armed teacher is a target for thugs who know he/she is armed.

New Solution: Oh that's a hypothetical situation and doesn't matter

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    So you're saying teachers who are in the classroom with those thugs every day can't "keep the peace" without a gun?

This is what I'm seeing...

Problem: There is a one in a million chance that my child will be involved in a school shooting

Solution: Arm all of the teachers

New Problem: An armed teacher is a target for thugs who know he/she is armed.

New Solution: Oh that's a hypothetical situation and doesn't matter

Am I missing anything?

I think there are different solutions to your problems. 1- why would you force them to be armed? It's their choice, just like it's your choice whether or not to be armed at work. 2- Concealed means concealed, anyone?

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Do you think going through the CHP class gives you enough training to confront an active shooter in a school full of kids?
    Motor51

This. ^^^

No element of a CHP class tests the competency of a student .............. because politicians specified the standards.

Most permittees in this state are far-removed from anything resembling a reasonable level of competency.

However, the standards imposed by that Texas school district are, to me, pretty reasonable.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Let the teacher in the next room carry for her... let the principal carry. The choice is what should never be taken away

Even though they've never had any training, never been drug tested, never been evaluated for emotional stability, never been part of a random testing program for alcohol abuse, etc., etc., etc.

I don't want my kids/grandkids, or those of my friends/family, in that school.

I guess that makes me anti-gun.:rolleyes:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yea, it kind of does. Last I checked the Bill of Rights didn't say anything about tests and evaluations.

However, even with the CHP program, you do go through extensive background checks before being issued one.

Does anyone get evaluated for emotional instability, random testing programs for alcohol abuse, etc etc etc before being able to drive a giant hunk of steel and rubber in front of your house and beside you on the road up to 70 mph, or /more/ if they choose to break laws? And driving in public isn't even a right!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    So....do all of the arguements against the idea of allowing teachers to carry if they wish also apply if we're talking about a college campus?

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    So....do all of the arguements against the idea of allowing teachers to carry if they wish also apply if we're talking about a college campus?

No..college classrooms full of nice students who are there voluntarily and most private high school classrooms full of young republicans are a different situation altogether. I was referring to the many "urban" schools full of future Angola residents.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Some people think that the answer to all of these shootings is to arm everybody in sight . I know plenty of people that I would not want to be around if the **** hit the fan , more so if they were armed .

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Some people think that the answer to all of these shootings is to arm everybody in sight . I know plenty of people that I would not want to be around if the **** hit the fan , more so if they were armed .
    I whole heartedly agree, but aside from felonies, we can't pick and choose who gets inalienable rights. You either legislate them gone for everyone, or no one, mostly.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    No..college classrooms full of nice students who are there voluntarily and most private high school classrooms full of young republicans are a different situation altogether. I was referring to the many "urban" schools full of future Angola residents.

Would you be open to the possibility of schools allowing teachers to participate on a case-by-case basis? Clearly a school that's being run by inmate students is the worst-case scenario.

And I would argue that not every college classroom is filled with "nice" students. A few of them are even the prototypical nutball we're ultimately talking about here. Believe that.

I do know that over 28,000 schools in America presently have armed security (some of those being educators) in some form, already.

Last edited:

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Was Virginia Tech full of voluntary students there because they wanted to be, and therefore somehow immune?

I was referring to the threat created by ONE teacher carrying a gun in a class of THIRTY-FIVE Gang Bangers not an outside threat entering the school like in the Virginia Tech case...and I think you know that.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Jnieman that was a dick move man. He took it better than I would have. Another man calling my woman a bitch would be taken personally and as a disrespectful insult. Personal matters are handled in a personal manner.

Word.

Calling a woman a bitch because she is uncomfortable with guns does not make her an intolerable lady.

True, I think that's a bit unfair to suggest most women aren't able to react to a shooting similar to this last event. But many men couldn't either. Key reasoning is because teachers do not practice scenarios similar to these. They see it written in black and white. There's probably a policy. A procedure. But do they go in on the weekend and is there a "pretend" bad guy busting in their doors yelling and screaming? So of course they couldn't react accordingly. They're not set up to.

However, I think arming teachers is a band-aid. Gun Free Zones are their own issue, but I don't believe GFZ creates this situation. I think people take advantage of GFZ. I'm more concerned with finding out "how" and "why" than fixing it. Arm teachers and you still have unchecked mental rejects. You also have a five gallon can of gasoline and cigarette lighters.

Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    You might be surprised to know just how many of "us" there are working in school systems, both men and women. By that I mean gun people, people who take armed self defense seriously in all its domains. Many of those are administrators, both at the school and supervisory level. That doesn't even mention some of the other professionals who work in schools such as psychologists. In my experience there are enough of "us" in the schools for there to be at least 2 or 3 in each school.

Then, on a voluntary basis, and vetted by some responsible party, if those people were trained to at least the same standard as the community's Law Enforcement it would seem to be a good idea to allow school personnel to carry concealed weapons at school. I don't think it would be too much trouble to get the local Sheriff to agree to train such people at little to no cost to the school.

Then if the female School Psychologist and female Principal in Newton who confronted the shooter had been armed, in that situation they would have had a long shot chance to stop the massacre before it really got started. However, and I don't think this can be emphasized too much, even that long shot chance would be infinitely better than the no chance at all those brave women had.

I think it is also proper to remember that a good percentage of these cowards choose to kill themselves at the FIRST sign of armed resistance.

At any rate I don't see how a reasonable adult can say that it is better to continue to advertize "gun free zones" where deranged people know that they can kill at will for at least a while before any real resistance materializes. In the spirit of what Larry Pratt said to Piers Morgan, That idea seems to be morally obtuse.

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Even though they've never had any training, never been drug tested, never been evaluated for emotional stability, never been part of a random testing program for alcohol abuse, etc., etc., etc.

I don't want my kids/grandkids, or those of my friends/family, in that school.

I literally twitch every time I hear the term "gun control" like it's a bad thing.

It's not. The Texas school is exercising a form of gun control. But if you mention any restrictions or subjections, people immediately turn belligerent and asinine. I've given up.

Top Bottom