Should medical marijuana patients be disqualified for a CHP?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    The problem is alcohol is black and white. Their are scientific limits to what you can drink, and cut and dry impairment tests. How do you know define when someone is too stoned? Regardless of why you use marijuana (recreationally or medically), the effects are the same. Just because someone has cancer or whatever doesn't mean weed won't get them high.

It's definitely a tricky situation. I could personally convince myself of going either way with my opinion. Same with prescription pain killers and other mood altering pharmaceuticals.

I would have to imagine that if the gov't is looking to leagalize and regulate marijuana (which I support), then jobs can be created. There will be a demand for scientist to do studies and determine a way to help LEO with impairment tests, etc. When the legislative branch of gov't decided to put a BAC level restriction on those who are driving, someone had to figure out a way to determine the BAC of said drivers. Why can't someone come up with a way to determine the level of "B'THC'C" with a simple device just like the officers' breathalizer tests for alcohol? Obviously, it would be a different system all together but the same principal would apply. You get pulled over and the officer suspects you have been ingesting THC, you get your finger pricked with the device and your level is displayed right then and there. Someone has to invent the hypothetical "finger prick tester", someone has to mass produce it, someone else has to come up with a better unit........

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    The current CHP application asks if you take antidepressants.

If you do, list them and the physician that prescribed them.
    :squint:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    The current CHP application asks if you take antidepressants.

If you do, list them and the physician that prescribed them.
    :squint:

Does it ask about anti depressants because it wants to know if your suicidal?

I think that would be the underlying issue there.

Pot has more uses than being antidepressant, or at least that's what they say.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I would have to imagine that if the gov't is looking to leagalize and regulate marijuana (which I support), then jobs can be created. There will be a demand for scientist to do studies and determine a way to help LEO with impairment tests, etc. When the legislative branch of gov't decided to put a BAC level restriction on those who are driving, someone had to figure out a way to determine the BAC of said drivers. Why can't someone come up with a way to determine the level of "B'THC'C" with a simple device just like the officers' breathalizer tests for alcohol? Obviously, it would be a different system all together but the same principal would apply. You get pulled over and the officer suspects you have been ingesting THC, you get your finger pricked with the device and your level is displayed right then and there. Someone has to invent the hypothetical "finger prick tester", someone has to mass produce it, someone else has to come up with a better unit........

Going to be the same problem as alcohol BAL's. THC affects the brain differently on different people. If you had two test subjects and one smoked weed all his life everyday, and the other never smoked before, but you gave both subjects the exact same amount of THC via inhalation, and you believe that the lifelong stoner is going to be any where as high as the first timer, you are "dreaming" of the "pipe" variety.

This LE dilemma is not going to be solved with CCUI (Carrying Concealed Under the Influence), tests.

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    This thought in no way is intended to take over this thread. My position on medical marijuana is cloudy. Are people with Diabetes denied a CHP due to the possibility of a need for insulin?

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    How about "make pot legal"?

now your talking! honestly, in relation to pot and firearms, I have a lot of trouble seeing stoned people becoming aggressive with a firearm or more likely to commit a crime with a firearm because they are stoned. I also have a hard time beliving that a stoned person is more likely to misjudge when their life is threatened and inappropriatly use that firearm. More AD's are possible, though.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Going to be the same problem as alcohol BAL's. THC affects the brain differently on different people. If you had two test subjects and one smoked weed all his life everyday, and the other never smoked before, but you gave both subjects the exact same amount of THC via inhalation, and you believe that the lifelong stoner is going to be any where as high as the first timer, you are "dreaming" of the "pipe" variety.

This LE dilemma is not going to be solved with CCUI (Carrying Concealed Under the Influence), tests.

I never said anything about 2 people having the same effect from the same amount of booze/pot. Not sure where that came from. It doesn't matter what physical state the subject is in. With alcohol, .08 is .08 weather or not you are stumbling out of the car or passing the field sobriety test and walking a perfect line. Why would THC be any different?

As for the carrying under the influence, there are laws for drinking and carrying which lower the acceptable BAC level. Why couldn't there be laws that lower the level of acceptance for the THC level in a subjects blood?

Last edited:

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Maybe I'm seeing it on too basic of terms, but like several others I view it as drinking. If it's legal in that state, allow them to have their permit ... just don't carry while high ... which is the same as not carrying while drinking to me. I don't think that someone should be denied their right to protect themselves just because they see the need to smoke weed for some medical reason.

~rc~

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    so you hurt your foot and the doctor prescribes painkillers

if someone breaks into your home, you should just let the intruder kill you and your family because you're on painkillers?

the same goes if you're at a convenience store and someone tries to rob it and puts your life in danger. you're on medication so your judgement might be impaired same as if you were on medical marijuana. do you still not get the right to defend yourself?

This is pretty much where I was going.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I never said anything about 2 people having the same effect from the same amount of booze/pot. Not sure where that came from. It doesn't matter what physical state the subject is in. With alcohol, .08 is .08 weather or not you are stumbling out of the car or passing the field sobriety test and walking a perfect line. Why would THC be any different?

As for the carrying under the influence, there are laws for drinking and carrying which lower the acceptable BAC level. Why couldn't there be laws that lower the level of acceptance for the THC level in a subjects blood?

I know the law needs a line. My point was that line might be fine for court prosecutors, but it does not represent reality across the board. Let's say the THC blood level has to be no more than 10ppm (I don't know what that means but I need a referrence point), so one person is almost hallucinating and the other is thinking he has bunk weed. And though I couldn't care less what the standard would be if they had one, I just know it would be flawed.

Someone should take my permit when I take Nyquil. That stuff is brutal if you are not going right to bed.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    As far as the driving under the influence goes,,,I would think that the LEO could easily test the driver,,,,just like they did years ago before the world had breathalysers. If someone is stoned, drunk, or impaired in any way,,,a video of the driver being tested should do just fine in the court room. You know the tests I am talking about,,,walking with hands out,,,bend backwards and touch you nose,,,abc's,,ect.
    I am sure there is a way to test to see if someone is too impaired to drive a vehicle.

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    She's got 2 powerful groups against her. Anti gun and anti "drugs". I support her posistion and legalization of marijuana, but it's going to be awhile.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    How about this- you aren't denied your permit because you're >= 21, just because you now have the right to drink. In the same respect, should you be denied your permit just because with that card, you have the right to smoke weed?

I've never tried the stuff, but my understanding is that pot just makes you want to chill. I doubt someone who's high would even feel like using a weapon. But with impaired judgment/intoxication, no, they shouldn't be carrying. This is an interesting test case.

In Louisiana, just being issued the card wouldn't disqualify you from getting a CHP; however, actually being under the influence of any "controlled substance" while carrying is still illegal.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    As far as the driving under the influence goes,,,I would think that the LEO could easily test the driver,,,,just like they did years ago before the world had breathalysers. If someone is stoned, drunk, or impaired in any way,,,a video of the driver being tested should do just fine in the court room. You know the tests I am talking about,,,walking with hands out,,,bend backwards and touch you nose,,,abc's,,ect.
    I am sure there is a way to test to see if someone is too impaired to drive a vehicle.

I know plenty of people who can fail those test while totally sober :rofl:

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    If the sheriffs are basing this on GCA's provision against drug addicts, I think they're going to lose. Marijuana smoking may be an addictive behavior, but the drug itself is widely considered to not be addictive. People prescribed with addictive, prescription painkillers are generally not considered addicts unless their behavior shows that they're abusing their meds.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom