Shouldering Sig Brace = Illegal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    You got that right! I knew this was coming too. The letter is very well clarified, so I'll be sure to inform those who had loophole plans that they are in violation. Sounds like they spell out that if it isn't velcro'd to your arm while shooting you are in violation as well. Since it was approved in the 'velcro'd on to firearm state'.

FD807

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Geismar La.
    This has been coming. You can only pull the tigers tail for so long before you get bit. If people would have left it alone and just did their thing this never would have happened.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    Never under stood it why not just spend 200 and never have to worry if it's legal or not. Who gives a **** if the man knows you have a gun or not. If it comes to teotwawki it's not really going to matter

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Never under stood it why not just spend 200 and never have to worry if it's legal or not. Who gives a **** if the man knows you have a gun or not. If it comes to teotwawki it's not really going to matter
    It was potentially nice for those of us that travel out of state for work to not have to send the letter every time you cross a state line border with an SBR. And the whole SBR thing is appealing toe because of the smaller sized travel package!

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    It was potentially nice for those of us that travel out of state for work to not have to send the letter every time you cross a state line border with an SBR. And the whole SBR thing is appealing toe because of the smaller sized travel package!

And there you have it. This is why we cannot have nice things.

JR1572

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    And there you have it. This is why we cannot have nice things.

JR1572
    Uhhh what?

I would like to be able to travel state-to-state with my FEDERALLY licensed SBR's without having to send a letter each time I do it. I live in Louisiana, work frequently in Houston, and also frequently shoot guns and hunt in Mississippi. The sig brace loophole was CLEARLY the easiest exploitation of the SBR law to which there is no going back on after this clarification. I didn't write a letter to the ATF asking for the clarification!

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Uhhh what?

I would like to be able to travel state-to-state with my FEDERALLY licensed SBR's without having to send a letter each time I do it. I live in Louisiana, work frequently in Houston, and also frequently shoot guns and hunt in Mississippi. The sig brace loophole was CLEARLY the easiest exploitation of the SBR law to which there is no going back on after this clarification. I didn't write a letter to the ATF asking for the clarification!

So instead of building an SBR, a pistol with a sig brace on it is great because you don't have to SBR it and deal with all that paperwork when traveling out of state? The sig brace was never intended to be a loophole to avoid having to get a tax stamp for an SBR.

JR1572

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    So instead of building an SBR, a pistol with a sig brace on it is great because you don't have to SBR it and deal with all that paperwork when traveling out of state? The sig brace was never intended to be a loophole to avoid having to get a tax stamp for an SBR.

JR1572
    Strike through "is" replace with "was" and you had the prior logic of many. I agree with the ATF's letter totally. We ALL knew that the brace wasn't 'intended' to skirt the SBR laws, but we all saw how many did it (I may or may not have been included in the group). It was the debate of MANY publications (many of which touting the complete and total legality of shouldering the sig brace) and I'd say the majority of sig brace owners were in fact exploiting the lack of clarification. It's over and done with now for sure though so we can go back to our boring old NFA laws.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Oh...and let's not have them clarify the question of which holding an AR pistol buffer tube to your shoulder is legal or not (there's your face palm). I mean the intent of a 'pistol' should be fired from the hands and not supported from other parts of the body, but hey I have never seen a letter saying I "can't" do it?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Strike through "is" replace with "was" and you had the prior logic of many. I agree with the ATF's letter totally. We ALL knew that the brace wasn't 'intended' to skirt the SBR laws, but we all saw how many did it (I may or may not have been included in the group). It was the debate of MANY publications (many of which touting the complete and total legality of shouldering the sig brace) and I'd say the majority of sig brace owners were in fact exploiting the lack of clarification. It's over and done with now for sure though so we can go back to our boring old NFA laws.

Thanks for answering the question I didn't ask.

JR1572

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I'm really tired of hearing people talk about this stupid issue. A lot of the podcasts I listen to are bringing this up almost every other episode. Personally, I don't care which way the BATF views the brace. Regardless of what they say, people are going to use the thing how they want to use it.
    Anyway... I'm just waiting to see who is going to be the first idiot to post a video to YouTube showing themselves using the brace as a stock up against their shoulder, and then get a knock on the door from the BATF.

Top Bottom