Shreveport! Damn Yankee ARRIVED!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    They seem endless, but it's a matter of finding the right one. Bossier seems to be the place to look. When I came down last month, the team manager said he found a real good house and neighborhood in Bossier, but the Barn Boss said he preferred Haughton, even with a farther drive.

Another vote for Bossier school system, once you get the family here. Temporary living quarters for you are endless.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    I always thought that having a house built was for rich people, but I might need somebody when I find a quiet piece of land in the country.

If you decide to build once your here my cousin owns Blue Heron homes in Shreveport/Monroe He builds some very nice homes. If you shop the new neigjborhoods you'll see some of his developments go take a look.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    I think I would buy you the drink. You seem to need it more and have a lot of negativity towards the State, but have you ever lived in a deeply progressive/liberal occupied State? Every ax you have to grind about Louisiana pails in comparison to what goes on in Chicago. Hell, try living up here sometime, even for a short time and you will be glad to be in a town like Shreveport. Weren't you planning on moving to, where was it, Arkansas?

Let me buy you a drink of your choice. Chalk it up to a tiny little favor that the universe is compensating you with, in lieu of your unfortunate circumstances.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I always thought that having a house built was for rich people, but I might need somebody when I find a quiet piece of land in the country.

Cost about the same as buying a new house, unless you go overboard on countertops, tile, trim etc. Just remember your building a house not a luxury hotel.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Bossier has good schools, but try to stay out of the Bossier High School District. It used to be a fine school, but it isn't what it used to be anymore. Airline or Parkway would be the way to go with your kids. In addition to Bossier, look at Blanchard as well. It is closer to where you are working than Haughton is.

Personally, if I were forced to move back closer to "civilization" (and I use that word very loosely these days), I would choose South Bossier and the Parkway HS district.

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    It all depends where in Haughton he's talking about. I live in Dogwood subdivision and its considered Haughton but right across the road from Bossier City and considered outside of city limits. I work on the other side of Shreveport and can usually make it to work in about 30 min or less depending on traffic. I really like it out here. There are a few apt. complexes out here that don't seem to be bad priced. I will get you a name tomorrow. Also welcome down my fellow Damn Yankee! I'm originally from MN myself.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Good luck, and I think you'll find what you're looking for.

Some other considerations:
    Property Tax homestead exemption: first 75K of home value.
    When you register your vehicles, you'll have to pay a "road use tax" one time only which is tantamount to another sales tax on a vehicle you already own, however afterwards tags are cheap, like $48 for two years etc.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    Thanks for that! I dig how Bossier and Shreveport are bordered by the river and within minutes of each other. Maybe we'll start a Damn Yankee support group to help the urban born family members coupe to Southern living.

It all depends where in Haughton he's talking about. I live in Dogwood subdivision and its considered Haughton but right across the road from Bossier City and considered outside of city limits. I work on the other side of Shreveport and can usually make it to work in about 30 min or less depending on traffic. I really like it out here. There are a few apt. complexes out here that don't seem to be bad priced. I will get you a name tomorrow. Also welcome down my fellow Damn Yankee! I'm originally from MN myself.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    Thanks! Thos are all added perks, and never even came into the equation, but. yeah what a savings compared to Chicago.

Good luck, and I think you'll find what you're looking for.

Some other considerations:
    Property Tax homestead exemption: first 75K of home value.
    When you register your vehicles, you'll have to pay a "road use tax" one time only which is tantamount to another sales tax on a vehicle you already own, however afterwards tags are cheap, like $48 for two years etc.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Go with Bossier. Caddo parish is mostly a crap hole. The south western area of Keithville can be ok, but sketchy as hell in some spots. And leave Stonewall in DeSoto parish alone. I'm tired of traffic jams in my once quiet cow pasture town.

sparky_benton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    with children ,Bossier no doubt. I live north of Bossier in Benton. The problem to south bossier is the road in and out .( IMO ) If I can be of any assistance feel free to contact me .I also am a transplant .but from Miami.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I think I would buy you the drink. You seem to need it more and have a lot of negativity towards the State, but have you ever lived in a deeply progressive/liberal occupied State? Every ax you have to grind about Louisiana pails in comparison to what goes on in Chicago. Hell, try living up here sometime, even for a short time and you will be glad to be in a town like Shreveport. Weren't you planning on moving to, where was it, Arkansas?

If you have kept up with me, I've greatly changed my opinion about LA as a whole. The southern half seemed very polite, open, and I enjoyed my visits there. Your logic about comparing Chicago to shreveport as a way of excusing the mess shreveport is would be like trying to justify new yorks gun laws by comparing them to dc.

Ps. Solid advise you're getting on staying on the bossier side of the river. If I were going to live in this area, north bossier area would be my pick for lowest violence/bs rate and a more upscale rural setting.

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    with children ,Bossier no doubt. I live north of Bossier in Benton. The problem to south bossier is the road in and out .( IMO ) If I can be of any assistance feel free to contact me .I also am a transplant .but from Miami.

I thought it eased up since they extended the Bossier Parkway. Is it still a hassle?

Edited to add:
    You're right about North Bossier/Benton. There are some nice areas there too.

Last edited:

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    I didn't have a chance to keep up, and couldn't even find the posts that you made about leaving after you were done with medical school, but I'm glad you have a different view about LA.

I don't really have any clue about Shreveport compared to Chicago as far as crime, politics, economy, ect...but from what I did see from the few times I was there, I'd take SHV over CHG by a long margin. I was born in Chicago but always stayed in the country with my Grandparents, and was never comfortable in town, so I was hoping to find a secure little place in the sticks and only commute to SHV.

I'd still buy the first round, and be glad to hear your opinions about LA now that I know you have a positive outlook.

If you have kept up with me, I've greatly changed my opinion about LA as a whole. The southern half seemed very polite, open, and I enjoyed my visits there. Your logic about comparing Chicago to shreveport as a way of excusing the mess shreveport is would be like trying to justify new yorks gun laws by comparing them to dc.

Ps. Solid advise you're getting on staying on the bossier side of the river. If I were going to live in this area, north bossier area would be my pick for lowest violence/bs rate and a more upscale rural setting.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    Thanks! We're looking through Bossier now.

Is moving from FL really transplanting, or considered a lateral move? Like going from good to good.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cognac.cal
    Top Bottom