Sig 365xl vs G19 gen 5 MOS vs PDP compact

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Trying to settle on one of the three.

Read that the Sig is almost perfect but has a crappy trigger

Read that the PDP has a great trigger but more muzzle flip. Also add ons and holsters may be fewer.

Not particularly a Glock fan but like the availability of upgrades and holsters.

Any one been down this road? What did you choose and why?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    never been down that road... Im simple minded... i stick with what i know, glock and 1911, thats what i cut my teeth on... sooooo i would go with glock19mos, not that the others arnt very good if not better, my mind just dont work like that :confused:

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    What are you looking for specifically?
    Are you equipping an optic? If so, what optic?

All three have viable holster options, so I wouldn’t be very concerned with that.

The P365XL is a very different pistol compared to the other two. All three would be fine for concealed carry, but the P365XL is on the smaller side. You will have more options available for Glock modifications, but there are a fair amount of modification options for the Sig. Not so much for the PDP.

The PDP is large for what it is.
    The G19 is the gold standard for carry.
    The P365XL is a happy medium if you need something small, but capable.

Go shoot all three first.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    What are you looking for specifically?
    Are you equipping an optic? If so, what optic?

All three have viable holster options, so I wouldn’t be very concerned with that.

The P365XL is a very different pistol compared to the other two. All three would be fine for concealed carry, but the P365XL is on the smaller side. You will have more options available for Glock modifications, but there are a fair amount of modification options for the Sig. Not so much for the PDP.

The PDP is large for what it is.
    The G19 is the gold standard for carry.
    The P365XL is a happy medium if you need something small, but capable.

Go shoot all three first.

I'm looking for an EDC with more capacity. I've been carrying a 642 and PPS for some time now and want an option with more capacity for the times when I feel the need. After those two, my current available options are fairly large: full size 1911/G34/G40....

Looking for the optic capability because my eyes (and the rest of me) are getting old and probably need to go in that direction. I haven't actually tried a dot on a pistol yet, but have on several long arms. I have a Venom that I haven't taken out of the box yet, but may look at the Holosun's.

I've shot a PPQ and a few of the larger Glocks, but never touched a SIG of any type. Someone mentioned the G48 so may need to expand to a 4th option and also find a SIG to shoot.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm looking for an EDC with more capacity. I've been carrying a 642 and PPS for some time now and want an option with more capacity for the times when I feel the need. After those two, my current available options are fairly large: full size 1911/G34/G40....

Looking for the optic capability because my eyes (and the rest of me) are getting old and probably need to go in that direction. I haven't actually tried a dot on a pistol yet, but have on several long arms. I have a Venom that I haven't taken out of the box yet, but may look at the Holosun's.

I've shot a PPQ and a few of the larger Glocks, but never touched a SIG of any type. Someone mentioned the G48 so may need to expand to a 4th option and also find a SIG to shoot.

I’ll probably get a lot of flak for it and I don’t particularly care, but I hate the G19. I own and carry Glocks, but the G19, in my opinion, is an outdated gun. It’s not small enough to warrant being carried over a G17, yet it no longer has enough capacity to warrant its size. You can get 13 rounds crammed into a P365XL or 16 rounds in a G43X/48 with S15 magazines. The G19 makes sense in a LE role, but not so much for concealed carry. It’s nice that it has magazine compatibility with larger capacity Glock magazines, but that’s not really a huge selling point for concealed carry. That being said, I have large hands and the G19 is just too small for me. It makes sense for smaller individuals, but again, it’s on the large side for those individuals.

The P365XL is going to be the most concealable firearm with a good compromise in capacity. You lose 3 rounds, but you have a much smaller gun that is still quite capable. Again, for me personally, it’s on the small end, but I recognize its usefulness for many individuals.

My only experience with the PDP is speaking with two individuals that I know who have been testing them. One is a regular guy like us who is having no trouble, the other is an instructor who has a few thousand down range and having some issues. The general consensus seems to be that it’s a good pistol, but it’s in the G19 size category.

Since you have mentioned optics and that you’re green to pistol optics, the selection of viable pistol RDS is a lot slimmer than one would hope. I would not recommend the Vortex Venom or any other Vortex RDS for carry use. They are simply not rugged enough and are prone to premature failures simply due to being fired.

The Trijicon RMR and SRO, Leupold Delta Point Pro, Holosun 407C, 507C, 407k, 507k, 508, and 509 are going to be the most common optics capable for duty or carry. There is one optic from Swamp Fox that is receiving good reviews, but it’s fairly new to the market. Most of the Sig optics have mixed reviews and at the price of the Romeo 3 Max, you’re in the RMR/SRO price ballpark. Holosun pistol RDS are probably the best value.

If you go with the Sig P365XL, you will be limited to the optics you can use due to the smaller width of the slide. Thankfully, the Holosun 407k and 507k were made for such applications. I HIGHLY suggest you avoid the Sig Romeo Zero. It uses a polymer housing and is not very durable.

If you go with the G19 MOS, do not use the Glock MOS plates. They are complete garbage. You will have to source an aftermarket MOS adapter plate such as the Forward Controls Design OPF-G plate.

Lastly, if you go with the Walther PDP, the factory optics plates are well made. It has one of the better optics mounting systems out there. When you receive the pistol, you will contact Walther and let them know which optic you plan to install. They will then ship you the correct optics plate to use.

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    I have a 365xl with a Shield RMSc red dot. So far I have not had any issues but I am only at 200 rounds or so. I got it instead of the Glocks because I like the grip angle better. Call ranges and go shoot rental guns if possible. Obviously go handle some and dry fire them. Trigger doesn’t seem bad to me vs my Glocks. A negative is the grip size can be small if you have big hands. I have to open my grip on the bottom of my hand to let the mag drop since it contacts the mag.
    The Shield, like several other red dots has a rear sight notch for a backup sight. Same comment is made about durability - polymer lens, it won’t pass a torture test of dropping, or racking the slide against a post, but I didn’t want a Chinese sight. I like the RMRcc but it doesn’t have a rear sight built in. And I also haven’t heard good things about the Romeo optics. I don’t want a plate system as it adds more screws to fail and raises the optic so high.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I would choose a red dot from one Dave recommended. I have and like my Vortex Venom. I use it on a target/hunting pistol. The dot is crisp, and they make a 3 MOA for precise shots. However, I would not consider it an EDC or defensive carry red dot because of the battery life. I think you would want one of the "always on" types for your carry setup such has the ones mentioned above.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Have a good look at the Glock 48. If you like a shorter slide, look at the 43X. Both guns use the same frame. I already had a Glock 43 so, I bought a Glock 48. I now have the option of putting the 43 slide on the 48 frame it I want a shorter slide.
    The 48 is basically the same size as the 19 but thinner. With Shield Arms magazines you go from 10 to 15 round capacity.

Attachments

• 27733777-2902-464D-8902-D26AE19B4E96.jpg
      27733777-2902-464D-8902-D26AE19B4E96.jpg
      250.7 KB · Views: 97

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Why do you have multiple Glocks if you don't like them? :confused:

Dave covered most of the important stuff already here.

Really, what any of us think really doesn't make a difference, it's ultimately how it feels to you. Muzzle flip is related to skill level. "Almost perfect" or "crappy" are completely subjective.

Any gun from a major manufacturer these days is going to have zillions of upgrades and holsters available. It's kindof a glock-blooded boomer talking point that's not really very relevant in today's market, so don't let that steer you down any particular path. There are at least a dozen high-quality pistols in this size/capacity category, and it's really just up to what feels good to you.

I carry the P365xl and it's a remarkable feat of engineering. I personally find the narrow grip and 16º angle awkward and hard to fall in love with, but if you're used to a 1911 the grip angle will probably feel quite natural. The trigger on the P365xl is decidedly not crappy: it goes bang 100% of the time, which means it's a great trigger. It certainly does't feel like a tuned 1911 or CZ Shadow, and I wouldn't call it refined or crisp by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a plastic striker gun... it is what it is. It's a specific tool for a specific job, and that's to keep you alive when you're about to get dead.

If I was going to start from scratch shopping for a carry gun today, I'd probably lean toward the 4" Shield Plus, but plenty to choose from... VP9, P10c, P-07, P320c, APX, TP9sc, 509, M&P subcompact, or whatever ruger and springfield make these days. I'd say best bet would just be to go fondle as many as possible and see what speaks to you.

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    Why do you have multiple Glocks if you don't like them? :confused
    LOL!
    referring to my post I assume- that is a good question. I said I like the Sig better - I do like my Glock 20 that I milled the slide for an RMR - but to answer the question I just hate selling stuff. You usually lose money and sometimes regret doing it. I have a 27 I should sell but no rush…
    I do love my 365xl though.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    LOL! referring to my post I assume- that is a good question.

haha!! I meant John the OP since he said "Not particularly a Glock fan" but then said he owns a 34 and a 40... but you too!! Damn Glock marketing department brainwashing everyone LOL

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Lots of good info folks, thanks. I think next steps will be to try to get hands on the 365 and maybe a G48, and factor that experience in to see what it adds. Like Bmash, I hate to sell stuff so I think long and hard before I buy stuff. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I think that's the fun of it.

Lol. I didn't say I hated Glocks, just not a particular fan. If I was LEO or military I'd probably be more drawn to them. I got the Glock long slides for the sight radius and that does help me for shooting at targets and steel. Funny thing is I shot an early gen G17 and hated it. The G34 gen 5 is not so bad for me.

StephenC

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Glock 48 MOS with metal mag release (Tyrant or Shield Arms) with the 15 round Shield Arms mags is the way to go. Super slim but more accurate than the 43X.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    It has been 20+ years since I have handled a Glock and did not care for it back then. I do have a Sig P365MS model, and have added a XL grip module as I found I liked the larger grip and capacity, along with an XL slide and barrel, what can I say, I like to play with them. I have a Holoson 507k red dot and like the set up, although that makes it a bit large and awkward for pocket carry. I did install a Gray Guns straight trigger and a m carbo spring kit and only have two other micro guns to compare it to, those being a Sig P238 and a P938, both being basically micro 1911 guns, both with very good triggers, but honestly the P365 seems to have a better trigger and I can shoot it more accurately. I had tried a couple of striker fired guns 25-30 years ago and found them sorely lacking in triggers and accuracy and was very pleased with the little Sig.

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    The G45 is a nice option. You still get the “compact” length of the G19, but additional purchase on the full size grip and increased capacity over the G19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    It has been 20+ years since I have handled a Glock and did not care for it back then. I do have a Sig P365MS model, and have added a XL grip module as I found I liked the larger grip and capacity, along with an XL slide and barrel, what can I say, I like to play with them. I have a Holoson 507k red dot and like the set up, although that makes it a bit large and awkward for pocket carry. I did install a Gray Guns straight trigger and a m carbo spring kit and only have two other micro guns to compare it to, those being a Sig P238 and a P938, both being basically micro 1911 guns, both with very good triggers, but honestly the P365 seems to have a better trigger and I can shoot it more accurately. I had tried a couple of striker fired guns 25-30 years ago and found them sorely lacking in triggers and accuracy and was very pleased with the little Sig.

You can modify a Glock trigger as you modified the P365 trigger.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The G45 is a nice option. You still get the *compact* length of the G19, but additional purchase on the full size grip and increased capacity over the G19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The full size Glock grip on the G45 is much larger than the others being discussed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom