Sig 556 - Anyone have one?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Ok, let me start off by saying I have zero AR15 experience and little knowledge but I'm in the market for a new weapon system and that's where I would like to head. The only rifle I have now in my collection is an ancient Russian SKS.

Basically, I would like a high powered rifle I can attach a light and red dot/holo sight to. I want 100% reliability, easy maintenance, and the ability to SBR it and attach a suppressor at some point in the future.

I'm been looking at Olympic Arms and Bushmasters around town but was thinking about something a bit more modern than a straight AR15 clone.. I would love an HK 416 but obviously that isn't happening until HK is ready with the civilian version in a few years. I seriously considered a Beretta storm in 9mm or .45 but while I love the price I'm not crazy about the fixed stock or using a pistol round in a serious rifle.

So that lead me to the Sig 556.
    29p3mgz.jpg

What do you real AR15 guys think? Anyone have one in Baton Rouge? What else could I get for the same price? I'm looking to spend about $2k on a complete rifle package.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Ok, let me start off by saying I have zero AR15 experience and little knowledge but I'm in the market for a new weapon system and that's where I would like to head. The only rifle I have now in my collection is an ancient Russian SKS.

Basically, I would like a high powered rifle I can attach a light and red dot/holo sight to. I want 100% reliability, easy maintenance, and the ability to SBR it and attach a suppressor at some point in the future.

I'm been looking at Olympic Arms and Bushmasters around town but was thinking about something a bit more modern than a straight AR15 clone.. I would love an HK 416 but obviously that isn't happening until HK is ready with the civilian version in a few years. I seriously considered a Beretta storm in 9mm or .45 but while I love the price I'm not crazy about the fixed stock or using a pistol round in a serious rifle.

So that lead me to the Sig 556.
    29p3mgz.jpg

What do you real AR15 guys think? Anyone have one in Baton Rouge? What else could I get for the same price? I'm looking to spend about $2k on a complete rifle package.

So stay away from a .223 if you want something high powered. The .223 is about as low powered a centerfire round they make. Having said that I have no personal experience with the 416. I like the idea but would want one in a .308 but I figure I will get an AR-10 and an upper for the .338

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I have nothing against the Sig 556 but for the extra cost I don't see any advantage over the AR-15 platform. Plus, the AR platform has an assload of assessories available.

I have used the M16/AR family of rifles for hunting, competition, & combat and it remains my 'go to' platform.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I almost bought a Sig 556 about 3 months ago. Everywhere I looked the vendors wanted $300 over MSRP. Screw that I bought a Colt M4 instead.

SigSauerP220

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    +1 on the Robinson Arms. There use to be a guy named Chuck that worked up at Precision that had one and let me shoot it...wow i loved that thing

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    I have played with the sig 556 and i dont know why but it just doest not do anything for me. The charging handle is in the wrong place compared to the ar15's which i am used to. And i guess all the plastic makes it look and feel cheap.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I've played with the 556, havent shot it though. About the only thing I liked better was the safety is about 45 degrees to flip instead of the AR's 90. They just got lazy with it in my opinion and through some AR parts in and called it a new rifle. Get yourself a quality AR (Bushmaster, Colt, Rock River, LMT, CMMG), and dont look back. Theres lots of dead people who can attest to the .223's effectiveness

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for all the comments. You guys have persuaded me. I'm looking at the XCR now especially since they offer SBR versions straight from the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom