Sig 716 not firing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    The last time I took my Sig 716 to the range I had quite a few problems with rounds not firing. When I would eject the round you could see the indention on the primer. This happened with a few different types of ammo. I took everythign apart and made sure it was clean but it continued to malfunction. I do have a Timney drop in trigger and the first thing I did was call Timney. They said to make sure the set screws were tight, which they were, and make sure there was no oil on the trigger. The trigger did have a little oil on it that I noticed while cleaning it. They seemed very eager to help determine if it was the trigger so I told them I would take it to the range one more time and call them back.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what else could be happeneing? I fired a few hundred rounds with this trigger with no problems. I just started the last time I was at the range. I'll be going back to the range this Saturday to see how things go.

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    I just got around to sending the rifle back to Sig as it was still under warranty. After getting the email that it was being sent back, I requested a list of what was done to it. The feed ramps and chamber were polished and the gas valve was replaced. It seems that the muzzle brake I put on it could have been causing a lack of backpressure and short stroke. They said that three full magazines were test fired after the repairs with no malfunctions so hopefully I will be good to go. I won't be able to shoot it myself for a while because I am still recovering from surgery.

I guess the problems did start after I put the brake (and trigger at the same time) on the rifle. Anyway, just wanted everyone who responded to this a while back to know what the culprit was.

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    I sent it with the brake and everything else as is. I had no idea that it could be the problem and they didn't either when I asked them for help. They just told me to ship the gun in and right off the bat sent a FedEx pre-paid shipping label. When the problems started I couldn't make it past three rounds without a misfire much less three magazines so I am pretty confident that they did what needed to be done.

bonewagon

Carbon Sasquatch
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Jeff Davis Parish
    I was thinking of getting a muzzle brake for mine. What model or manufacturer did you use? My R716 runs like a champ. Even used two new ProMag 20 round mags from Academy and they were flawless. Mixed commercial rounds of different weight bullets and some actual 7.62x51 rounds. Not a problem. I am almost thinking I shouldn't mess with the stock rifle at all. Got it about a month ago. It is the supposedly Gen 2 model. I hope it wasn't your brake, but who knows until test firing.

Still wishing you success with recovery and hoping the procedure reduces your pain. Hang in there.

Top Bottom