Sig R556 Opinions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest. I was looking at this rifle and thinking about trading/selling one of my Colt AR15's to purchase one. I watched the NRA American Rifleman review. It sure looks a lot like an AK on the bolt and bolt carrier. It has a 2 position gas system. 1:7 twist barrel. ambidextrous safety. uses AR15-type magazines etc.

But what I want to know is how it REALLY stacks up against the AR15? Better or worse or just different?

Dave

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    IMO it isn't as good as a $650 AR from Palmetto. I could go into an AAR as to why, but...

Thanks for... a broad statement that wasn't really helpful and here's why? What is a "Palmetto?" Is it a piston or DI AR15? Is it any good or is it considered garbage?

I'm not attached to the idea of owning one a Sig R556. I'm only looking for a little change up. But I need to know more about them.

Dave :)

Last edited:

CajunCracker

Beastmode
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I have two. I have the sig 556 classic and the 556 pistol. Both are awesome, never had an issue with either. Of course ive never had an issue with my spikes AR either... So I would say it would be up to you. It's hard to nitpick on these.. I would say personal preference. I've never had an issue with reliability.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Thanks for... a broad statement that wasn't really helpful and here's why? What is a "Palmetto?" Is it a piston or DI AR15? Is it any good or is it considered garbage?

I'm not attached to the idea of owning one a Sig R556. I'm only looking for a little change up. But I need to know more about them.

Dave :)
    Palmetto is a DI AR maker. Palmetto state armory, or PSA.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have two. I have the sig 556 classic and the 556 pistol. Both are awesome, never had an issue with either. Of course ive never had an issue with my spikes AR either... So I would say it would be up to you. It's hard to nitpick on these.. I would say personal preference. I've never had an issue with reliability.

Thanks. I'd be keeping another AR15 too. :)

Palmetto is a DI AR maker. Palmetto state armory, or PSA.

Thanks, as I said, I have not been keeping up. I'm sure they're fine. But I'd keep the Colt first.

Dave

thomjb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Southern IN
    I have two 556's, thousands of rounds with NO issues. Different than an AR obviously, in looks, balance, but one great rifle.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Heavy-- especially in the front.

I've seen the piston become locked in the rifle under rough use-- as in, 2k in 2 days for just a carbine class. Cleaned every 100 round plinking session, no biggie; run like a hard use tool (especially in mud and crud), you might need tools to pop that sucker open.

Proprietary parts. Ugh. And though I've never had the (dis)pleasure of pulling one apart for repairs... I'm guessing it's not AR-simple.

Not a fan of the safety or the pistol grip; your hands might be different.

Can't stand HK style hooded front posts; your eyes might be different, but I promise they're not better... :mamoru:

Actually built around the piston, instead of retrofit as per the true AR platforms. That's a huge plus in my book.

Rumors about the folding stock taking a poo during hard use; can't confirm personally, or even having seen one that was busted. :dunno:

They didn't used to be cheap; being of the same mindset as pangris, I wouldn't know what they cost now. Though I wager you can get a pretty tip-top AR for the same... or less?

Summation-- I'd rather have an AK, and MUCH rather have an AR (that was DI). If you really want a proprietary piston gun with non-peasant ergos and adaptability... get an ACR.

Unrelated aside-- WTF ladybugs in my house???

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    WTF ladybugs in my house???

But I bet there are NO aphids at all in the house. :)

The current cost at Buds for a Sig classic R556 is right around $1,100 plus shipping and handling.

Maybe I'd be better of just keeping the Colt Match Sporter or is there something else out there cool in that price range?

Yes, I'm thinking along the lines of using it to get into the three gun matches too...... eventually.

Dave

I have a 556 Classic. Love shooting it. Very smooth and very easy to clean. No problems with it at all.

Thanks.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    For many of the reasons covered, you couldn't get me to buy a heavier, more expensive gun with propriety parts that isn't more accurate, more reliable, or more durable.

And as usual, he cuts to the chase and steals the wind from my sails. :squint:

$1,100 is a fine, fine, fine chunk out of a nice rifle. If you're going to put this to 3-gun use, you probably wanna look at JP and... whoever it was that built Derek's...

Scooter, Golden Dragon, FishinFool, Dockbox, Jesse, Derek-- those are the guys I'd ask about gaming ARs (in no particular order). The best stuff won't be cheap, but you may find it better to convert one of your current guns or perhaps just piece one together.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    For many of the reasons covered, you couldn't get me to buy a heavier, more expensive gun with propriety parts that isn't more accurate, more reliable, or more durable.

Sounds reasonable.

$1,100 is a fine, fine, fine chunk out of a nice rifle. If you're going to put this to 3-gun use, you probably wanna look at JP and... whoever it was that built Derek's...

I understand that $1,100 wouldn't pay for the optics on most of the competition rifles. Yeah, I could tell you what I need for USPSA handguns but rifles. Heck don't know....

Dave

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I understand that $1,100 wouldn't pay for the optics on most of the competition rifles. Yeah, I could tell you what I need for USPSA handguns but rifles. Heck don't know....

Dave

I honestly couldn't say what those tip-top-optics are running. But I'm certain that $1,100 is a big chunk of that as well!

I'm of the "buy once, cry once" mind set-- and since I stole that from pangris, I'm sure he'll agree. That not only applies to saving up a bit more cash to get a (known) performer, be it rifle or glass, but also in regards to not spending that cash on something that doesn't really address any need you have (current or future). Thus it would negate a rifle purchase entirely for me given your current criteria, even if that meant waiting a year to assemble the rest of the loot to get one that I'll really get some use out of.

This is doubly true if you've got several Colts already. Keep in mind that there are iron sighted Divisions within 3-gun, and though our local matches may or may not make the distinction, the larger ones will. If you took one of your no-frills guns out as you saved up for a race rifle and learned to go beast mode with irons... Imagine how awesome you'll be when you get the tricked out bad boy!

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    They have iron sighted divisions for rifle? Oh well then I got it covered. I have carrying handles on my AR which make scopes kind of a PITA.

So I guess unless I see some smoking hot deal I'll stick with what I got.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Dave

eradicater

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    Alexandria
    I have a 556r and love it. It shoots any ammo I feed through it without a hiccup.

That being said parts are pricey. I also lost the screw to the but plate and sling attachment after a few hard rounds of shooting and had a tough time finding replacements. 500-700 rounds in a day.

Top Bottom