SIG SAUER 5.56 vs Remington R-15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LaTrooper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Boyce, Louisiana
    Have been looking at both the Sig 5.56 and the Remington R-15 and would like some imput from some of the folks on B.S. who might own either or have shot either. Pro or cons will all be helpful as it seems that the price is very close. Any help will be appreciated.:):):)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have the SIG 516. It is a great rifle. Never had any problems with it. Now it is suppressed. I do need to get an Eotech site system for it to replace the Sig Red Dot it came with but other than that. Love it.

I have no experience with the Remmy.

Lachamp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Youngsville, LA
    I have a 556. I really like it. It shoots very smooth. No problems with it at all and is very easy to take down and clean.
    By the way, are you a state trooper? My brother is with troop I.

Last edited:

t-train

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have a 556. I really like it. It shoots very smooth. No problems with it at all and is very easy to take down and clean.

A co-worker of mine has both the 556 and 516. He expressed what was mentioned above about functioning and cleaning. He also mentioned that it was heavy. I dont believe the 556 is milspec either.

southerner985

sheepdog
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Norco
    I have a 556 and I love it! but I will tell you that after market up grades are HIGHLY limited...only 3 rail options,(sig, samson, and troy) one grip option unless you mod an AR grip to fit....but if that doesn't bother you than you'll love it. it does feel a tad unbalanced due to the heavy duty piston system. trigger is smooth along with the action. it has a 1:7 twist barrel to handle heavier grain bullets better but if you shoot 55gr then you groups(100 yrds) tend to be wide (thought it was me at first but ran some 62gr though it and was getting 2in groups opposed to 5!!!)

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    You can getba lot more for the money. Daniel Defense.

When I was younger, I was sure I was going to be getting the SIG SAUER 556. Got a little older and wiser, then started talking to some of the very wise guys on here and ended up with a DDm4v7. Only shot about 500 rounds through it so far, but it runs FLAWLESSLY. I definitely recommend DD. And if someone like VG is suggesting it (he's the one that suggested DD to me) that says a lot.

Sig Sauer is a name you're paying for. A lot of times you're paying a substantial amount because the company is successful in a different product. Just like RJF's 1911 that no one can explain why it costs so much.

Top Bottom