Sight Removal/Installation questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kdavis1984

Practice, Practice
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Denham Springs
    not sure if this has been answered or not. i've got 2 different guns that i am looking at changing the sights on. 1 is a Taurus PT140 Mil-Pro, and the other is a Springfield XD-40. questions is this, are all sight removal/installation tools the same, or does each gun need its own tool??

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Here is a 'universal' sight tool that has gotten good reviews: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=163458

I personally have a dedicated Sig sight tool, which works great, and there are tools dedicated to other gun manufacturers as well.

I don't have much experience with others, but I imagine that the dedicated tools are easier and more 'fool-proof', but then you have the cost associated with different tools for different guns.

VincentBuckles

Mesa Kinetic
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    removal of the XD sights is ridiculously dificult in most cases. most universal tools will not grasp the slide properly due to its conture. the 45s knock out pretty easily most times but the 9mm and 40 are pressed in uber tight in most cases.

using a brass punch i usually murder the front sight on its way out being careful not to damge the slide at all and the rear sight i have found a special way to cut it using a cutoff wheel and surgical patience to relieve the pressure in order to knock it out. i only do this if i am replacing the factory sights for night sights or other aftermarkets. i then carefully fit the new sights to be reasonably tight but still driftable with a brass punch.

i have changed hundred of sights on handguns in the past few years and the XD 9 and 40s have been the only sights i have had to resort to such measures on.

if you dont want to undertake the task, i would be glad to change them for you.

- Vince
    (412) 670-2620

VincentBuckles

Mesa Kinetic
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    and BTW if anyone is making an XD specific sight tool i want to get one. sig sights are just as tough to get out but there are a few sig specific tools that make it very easy because they fit the sig contour perfectly.

as far as the taurus, i doubt there is a specific tool available but i could switch them out for you easily using the old school method with no damage incurring.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    and BTW if anyone is making an XD specific sight tool i want to get one. sig sights are just as tough to get out but there are a few sig specific tools that make it very easy because they fit the sig contour perfectly.

as far as the taurus, i doubt there is a specific tool available but i could switch them out for you easily using the old school method with no damage incurring.

MGW makes a sight tool for the XD that I've heard good things about. It can actually break the rear sights loose, although you'll need additional leverage (breaker bar) on the handle.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=51060/pid=8846/sku/Springfield_XD?mc_id=10000

Top Bottom