Sign at Northwest Supports Center...subject to search?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    If any knowledgeable persons want to take the time to enlighten me...

I don't have a picture but there is a sign posted at the entrance to the Northwest Supports and Services Center (NWSSC). This sign says that it's illegal to bring guns and drugs to the school and that each car is subject to search without a warrant. It makes a reference at the bottom to Act 383 of 1962 (from memory).

From what I can tell, the NWSSC is not a school. There are similar places around the state, such as Ruston Developmental Center (in Grambling:confused:).

There are not teachers there, nor do I think they have a curriculum set by any board.

There are not "school zone" signs on Shed Road (the entry point).

I basically figured this sign to be crap. I left the gun in the car. The language on it bothered me though. Does anybody have experience with these types of institutions? Are they legally a school? Has anyone tried to get them to remove signage such as that?

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Yeah, I have no doubts about legally parking there, but I am considering calling somebody to get the language on the sign changed. I believe it may be misleading.

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    Even if it is a schoo, In Louisiana, the car is an extension of your home, they cannot search it without a warrant under that basis right? Also, isn't a "constitutionally protected" act like carrying a gun in a car an exception to the school rule about guns?

Last edited:

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Yes, I'm fairly sure that we all have the right to have a gun in a vehicle there.

I am curious as to whether the language from "subject to search at any time" stems from some old law, or if it was just manufactured by the agency to scare people.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    The facility is part of the State's Department of Health & Hospitals and operates under the direction of the Office for Development Disabilities. There are some class rooms on the campus, but the main area is unfortunately a 'ward' for the seriously mentally handicapped.
    I can only assume that the signage is the same that would appear on Confederate Memmorial, Huey Long and Charity hospitals. State owned and operated facilities probably have the same wording....

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Even if it is a schoo, In Louisiana, the car is an extension of your home, they cannot search it without a warrant under that basis right? Also, isn't a "constitutionally protected" act like carrying a gun in a car an exception to the school rule about guns?

Your car is NOT an extension of your home but that phrase gets tossed around a lot and people seem to remember it. Most LA laws read like this when listing exceptions to a firearms law.

"Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle."

I like that exception a lot and I think it's a good policy.

Top Bottom