sign of aggression?? natural??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    We have a puppy thats approximately 6 months old give or take some. Showed NO signs of aggression, hes pretty much scared of us as if we want to beat him, he lays down. He's not small, like our other small dog, a little bigger than a chihuaha (mut). They play together, she growls at him when he messes with her even though she he is twice her size easily. Today we were picking them up from the in laws, and they have a male rat terrier, that doesn't get along with other dogs. Our puppy, which is bigger than him, kept trying to play with him and "smell" him as all dogs do. At least 5 times the rat terrier would snap at him and chase him a few feet. Our older femal dog went by him and the rat terrier snapped at her, well our puppy went and attacked him and had him pinned down, it took me and my girlfriend to pull him off before he would stop and the rat terrier limped away crying. He wasn't bleeding or anything, just limped for about 3 minutes before walking normally again. The fiance is scared he will do this to our female, but I am trying to tell her he sees her as a mother I feel since hes been with her since he was 6 weeks old and small. (even though her little head sits in his mouth as he plays with her while). What would you say? something to be worried about?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Nothing to be worried about at all, my girlfriends boston snapped at my mom's german shepherd, and her maltese tried to attack the boston. Dogs are really defensive of their companions, and I would be more inclined to think it was that, than a dog who has never been aggressive suddenly having a mean streak.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nothing to be worried about at all, my girlfriends boston snapped at my mom's german shepherd, and her maltese tried to attack the boston. Dogs are really defensive of their companions, and I would be more inclined to think it was that, than a dog who has never been aggressive suddenly having a mean streak.

That.

The result would have been the same if the Rat Terrier had shown aggression to one of you.

That said, every dog in the equation should STFU and STFD when one of you speaks up. That of course takes almost 24 hour dedication, but you get the idea. I've seen two well trained, very large, very agressive-breed dogs stop a VERY real fight in the blink of an eye when both owners spoke up-- and sit, cowed, within a foot of each other.

Then again, I also know someone who makes the Dog Whisperer look like a toddler. I watched her back down a pack of ferals one day (as I was trying to decide which one to shoot first), and turn a very scary roving APBT into a lap dog the next-- with no prior exposure to any of those dogs. It's an attitude more than anything, I suppose...

At any rate, at 6 months old, you've got plenty of time. Rein that bugger in tighter-- and trust me, the dogs LOVE discipline and obedience; they're hardwired for it.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    That.

The result would have been the same if the Rat Terrier had shown aggression to one of you.

That said, every dog in the equation should STFU and STFD when one of you speaks up. That of course takes almost 24 hour dedication, but you get the idea. I've seen two well trained, very large, very agressive-breed dogs stop a VERY real fight in the blink of an eye when both owners spoke up-- and sit, cowed, within a foot of each other.

Then again, I also know someone who makes the Dog Whisperer look like a toddler. I watched her back down a pack of ferals one day (as I was trying to decide which one to shoot first), and turn a very scary roving APBT into a lap dog the next-- with no prior exposure to any of those dogs. It's an attitude more than anything, I suppose...

At any rate, at 6 months old, you've got plenty of time. Rein that bugger in tighter-- and trust me, the dogs LOVE discipline and obedience; they're hardwired for it.

^

This ......and train and correct with a leash , keep em close till they are sure what you want ... Don't make personal contact in anger ...it goes further than we think sometimes

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Nothing to worry about 6 months is the equivalent of the adolescent age group. Between 3-7 months pups can be cutting their teeth too. They usually aren't aggressive from that but can be having some frustration over the discomfort caused. Be sure to have him a Hard(Raw Hide) & Soft(Sock Knots, Rope Knots etc) chew toy.

Plus the aggressive nature was provoked and your pup reacted, not the first time but after 5 times you said? and he was defending a member of his pack! This is a good sign. You want a dog that will either completely ignore the yapper or pin him down basically showing a little dominance and saying BTFU. Good loyalty too. Your only other option would be to have a dog that ran away in fear when a smaller dog threatened him. That is NOT the kind of dog I want or need.

Also what breed of dog is your pup and is he in any formal training program?

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    He is a pit bull. I didn't mention at first because im sure some would have said its aggression just because of what he is. He isn't in any training, I work 7 and 77I so its harder to train him than it was to train our older female. For instance when I tell them to kennel up, he goes when he sees her go in. I try to show him but iill admit im nowhere near being a dog trainer.

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    Your pup responded to a threat to one of the members of its pack, yet showed restraint when it was threatened. Good pup!

The rat terrier however needs socialization and to be on lead around other dogs and specifically around your pup, either until it learns the error in its bad behavior or until it dies. It was done a disservice by not being trained properly (a common issue with small dogs).

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    He is a pit bull. I didn't mention at first because im sure some would have said its aggression just because of what he is. He isn't in any training, I work 7 and 77I so its harder to train him than it was to train our older female. For instance when I tell them to kennel up, he goes when he sees her go in. I try to show him but iill admit im nowhere near being a dog trainer.

Pitbull Shmitbull makes no difference to me unless he came from fighting stock bloodline.

Where did ou get him? a Back Yard Breeder? AKC Regitered? or news paper AD?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF6mVtBiaFU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

notice he made the dog bite by not letting the collar go....

What's the point of posting this?

TowTruck

Jared
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Denham Springs
    Taken from dsrl

I found myself in a situation with a pit bull a few years back. The pit had attacked my moms dog and as I tried to interfere, the dog turned his aggression onto me. He bit me on my peck one time as I chocked him out. Took less that a minute for the dog to black out. The ****er did **** on me though. Fear is what kills people in dog attacks. Use your head.
    My point is if the Dog is a little bigger than a chiuaha why did it take 2 people to separate this nonviolent picbullz

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I could heave did it myself really, she just grabbed the rat terrier. I know he doesn't hate just any dog because another small mut broke into their fence area to try and breed with our small female and he was just laying down watching.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    My point is if the Dog is a little bigger than a chiuaha why did it take 2 people to separate this nonviolent picbullz

So you post a video of an obvious fight dog killing trying to kill someone? Nice, I think we know what your point is.

I could heave did it myself really, she just grabbed the rat terrier. I know he doesn't hate just any dog because another small mut broke into their fence area to try and breed with our small female and he was just laying down watching.

Post 12 please? ;)

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Someone gave him to us, the father is a showdog and the mother was just a n old house dog ( pitbull). The dogs father would not let me in the fenced yard until the owner came outside.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Someone gave him to us, the father is a showdog and the mother was just a n old house dog ( pitbull). The dogs father would not let me in the fenced yard until the owner came outside.

Good then at least you know the pedigree some. Just checking.

Had your dog drawn blood or killed the other one I might would have cause for concern. Pinning him roughly after he snapped at a member of the pack? Nah, I'd think nothing of it.

Dogs are protective, it's that simple. Of course if something more severe happen in the future you'll have to evaluate the circumstances and level of reaction again.

My Dad's 2nd Lab bought MORE THAN ONE of the surrounding neighbors small dogs home dead and delivered it to my dad. Always after returning from Duck Hunting if he wasn't immediately put in the pen, he'd bolt out and twice returned with a dead dog in his mouth. This dog never even so much as snarled at ANY human ever. He was with us from the time we were small kids until he died when he was 14. Just one example of a dog(Labrador) who freaking killed at least two smaller dogs but was very gentle to humans. Weird though, I always wondered what would provoke him to run off and then come back with a dead dog.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Since it sorta came up, just something that I feel like everyone (dog owner or not) should know...

You take a dog's back hips out of the equation, and they're pretty well useless from that point in time on. I've seen some seriously game canines just give up after a few seconds of realizing they were completely powerless.

If you watch MMA, you already know the move-- wrap your legs around 'em, pull 'em in close, and hold tight. Swing your weight on top if you can manage, and squeeze. Just... be careful getting up. :eh:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA

One thing about "bull dogs"... Do your dead level best to keep him out of fights as it may decide that "it can't help itself" and enjoy - yes, many of them do seem to enjoy - a good fight. They may not start the fight but they'll finish them.

Introduce her to other non-aggressive dogs and tolerate no aggression from her. Use distraction techniques as you cannot bully her - it's been bred into them to a large degree. You have to MANAGE it. Assume the TENDENCY will ALWAYS be there and you'll be okay.

How do I know? I had a gamebred Colby dog in HS and College. He was awesome with people, okay with small or submissive dogs and SURE DEATH on aggressive ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom