Signage ..( Mississippi )

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    This is why concealed carry is pointless. All of these liberal run Businesses will have signs. It is a crime in Louisiana to carry in a business that has a sign. Why I never renewed my license. Every where I need to carry was illegal to. I do not walk down public side walks very often which is about the only place you can legally carry.

Carrying in a Place of Business that has a Sign is a misdemeanor. I got this straight from BRPD.

Like others have posted above. Who is BRPD?

I've had my CHP for close to 25 years and only had a few places that I go to that I can't legally carry.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    :deadhorse:

Not this again. Concealed means concealed. If you get caught, and don't leave when asked, then you are trespassing. Pretty sure that just carrying where there is a no firearms sign, is not trespassing.

Are you going to bring up "in a parade" vs "at a parade" again as well?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    :deadhorse:

Not this again. Concealed means concealed. If you get caught, and don't leave when asked, then you are trespassing. Pretty sure that just carrying where there is a no firearms sign, is not trespassing.

Are you going to bring up "in a parade" vs "at a parade" again as well?

I don't go to parades . I never mentioned parades at any point ...ever .

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I didn't mean to imply that you mentioned parades, but this continuing conversation generally turns into a parade thread or a vehicle is an extension of your home thread.

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    Regarding the definition of trespassing you guys are using.(that it isn’t trespassing until you are asked to leave) My understanding of trespassing is if you are on private property without permission, you are trespassing - period. (For example a person walking around my farm.) Is this definition written specifically for concealed carry? It seems to me you Violate the law when you consciously entered the property while concealed carrying. Not trying to argue, I just haven’t seen that definition written anywhere.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I have spoken to several CHP instructors and a couple of attorney friends of mine and all agree that the statute is ambiguous at best. Take the parade paragraph that I mentioned from the latest rulebook http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chRuleBook.pdf

N. No concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit
    issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed
    handgun in any of the following:

(9) A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental
    entity.

What defines "in" a parade vs "at" a parade. If I am marching or riding a float, I am definitely "in" a parade. If I am standing on Canal Street watching the parade pass, am I "in" a parade or "at" a parade. Until someone gets charged and fights it in court, and a precedent is set, no one has any idea how to interpret this clause.

Additionally

O. The provisions of Subsection N of this Section shall not limit the right of a
    property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those
    persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No
    individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed
    handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that
    person.

There is no penalty described for a violation of the above. As there is no legal signage in the State of Louisiana, and no defined penalty, the general consensus is that you can only be charged for trespassing if you are asked to leave the premises and refuse to do so. Simply carrying a firearm where a sign that carries no weight of law, "may" not pass muster for a trespass charge. Again, until someone takes this to court and a precedent is set, you are your own judge of how you want to proceed.

Personally, I pay no attention to a sign that has no legal precedent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joquinn1234567
    Top Bottom