Silencerco Harvester first test

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Landry308

Class 3/SOT/Houma LA
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Houma
    Initial testing of Silencerco Harvester, compared to TBAC 30-P1

Gun 1, Underground Skunkworks heavy precision rifle, 700 style action, 6.5 Creedmoor. 22” bull bbl. Hornady factory 120gr Amax, chrono’d at 2760 fps.
    POI shift: both cans shifted POI 1 moa straight down
    Group size: Shot all 3 groups .400” or so, with and without cans
    Sound: both cans sounded about the same to my ear, on this gun. Really good sounding. Comfortable to shoot as much as you want without ear protection.

Gun 2: McWhorter custom 6.5 WBY (6.5/257 WBY), 24” bbl, Kreiger 5 ½ contour, Rem 700 action, fired for sound only. Load 130gr Norma target VLD, 70gr H1000, chrono’d 3085 fps IIRC.
    TBAC-deeper tone, definitely hearing safe, would be comfortable to shoot many rounds without hearing protection
    Harvester: Sharper tone and louder. Sounded about like suppressed AR15. Probably just barely hearing safe. If shooting many rounds, would probably want ear protection. Fine for only firing a few rounds.

Impressions: The TBAC weighs 17.1oz, the Harvester weighs 11.25oz. The 6.5 Creed is a heavy gun, and weight didn’t matter. On the McWhorter (medium weight) the difference was huge. The Harvester balanced much much better. The 6oz weight savings made a huge difference. I will use the Harvester on hunting guns because of the improved balance, the TBAC on target or heavy guns, with larger volume of fire. The only problem I had with the Harvester is that it tends to leave the rear cap (threaded part) on the gun when you take the can off. It screws into the back of the can (kind of like a giant Spectre 22 can). The cap does have wrench flats for removal when this happens. I think Silencerco should put a set screw to hold the rear cap in place. Mine will get some blue Loctite I think.

Landry308

Class 3/SOT/Houma LA
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Houma
    Semi shouldn't matter as long as you keep the rate of fire down.

I usually dont' keep many things in stock, esp now with the possible trust changes looming large. I may order a few of these, though. Distributor out, but should have more in a few weeks. They are great cans, I think they will sell. Very well suited to hunting weight guns.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Good write up, I still don't trust the woes of an aluminum high powered rifle can compared to a titanium though in this case. The 6oz pales in comparison to the gratification of knowing you can drive a 10 penny nail with the thunder beast or other heavy duty suppressor and not compromise structural integrity.

That's just me though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Landry308

Class 3/SOT/Houma LA
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Houma
    Good write up, I still don't trust the woes of an aluminum high powered rifle can compared to a titanium though in this case. The 6oz pales in comparison to the gratification of knowing you can drive a 10 penny nail with the thunder beast or other heavy duty suppressor and not compromise structural integrity.

That's just me though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The aluminum is a cosmetic sleeve covering the sealed steel core. Silencerco says they fired it up to full magnum pressures without the sleeve, without problems. What I don't like about aluminum is the limitations on cleaning that can be used. I'll use this as my hunting can. If I could only have one can, though, I would go with Ti also.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom