Silencerco Octane K and Osprey K

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Sooo whats the difference between that Octane 45 and my original octane 45?.....

8.5" length vs 6.85"
    130 db vs 139 db

I think i like the idea of my longer can with less decibels. But i guess Ill only be able to decide for sure after I try one of the K models out...

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I just want someone to tell me whether or not the human ear can tell the difference between 130db and 139db.

Without measuring devices, I doubt it.

JR1572

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I just want someone to tell me whether or not the human ear can tell the difference between 130db and 139db.

Without measuring devices, I doubt it.

JR1572

Decibels are measured logarithmically, so yes 9 decibel difference is a lot.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Generally people can hear the difference with an increase of around 3 decibels. Like noob said it isn't a straight scale. I have seen it stated that an increase of 10 decibels equates to the noise being twice as loud. So the Octane 45K would be perceived as being almost twice as loud as the regular octane.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Everything I have read states that 9db-10db to the human ear sounds 50% louder.

Take that into account and the lack of an industry standardized "testing" method and the fact that you cannot believe the numbers advertised by every manufacturer, it's very possible that the difference may not be enough for one to hear. I'm sure I cannot tell the difference with my mid-range hearing loss.

JR1572

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Here you go some reading on the subject.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

I promise you that most everyone will be able to hear a significant difference between k models and the regular length ones. 2-3 decibles isn't significant but 9-10 is.

I'm sure you're right, but if there is less than a 10db difference between the two, I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference.

You know just as well as I know that just because a manufacturer makes a claim of a certain level of reduction that doesn't necessarily make it true. Furthermore, there is a nearly endless amount of variables that can change the level of sound reduction.

JR1572

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Given the fact that the published numbers come from the same company using the same sound equipment under the same test parameters and their new numbers are 9db louder (no reason to lie about louder) I personally would choose the "older" model and deal with the extra ~2".

If one wants to defy audible test equipment sound signatures from the same manufacturer, hey it's a free country.

Top Bottom