single stack gun ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rig Magician

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Houma
    Hey guys, I just ordered my first custom built limited gun. It will be at least 5 months before I get it. I talked to Matt Cheely and he building me a gun that I hope looks as good in person as in my head. I have not nor as he built one like this one.
    Now my question. I am thinking about picking up a single stack in 40S&W to shoot for now till my new limited gun comes in. I am looking for a good gun that I can always do some work to later and make better, but that won't break the bank. something hopefully around 1K or under. What are some good ones to look at. I looked at the STI trogen so far. any others?
    Thanks,
    Mark

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The Trojan or Spartan, depending on your budget and how much you want to add to it later. Just great all around value there. Always mentioned in my discussions of SS 1911s, for games or otherwise.
    Spartan would be the way to go, IF it was available in 40S&W.

Rig Magician

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Houma
    Ok thanks for the info guys. One more question. What caliber would you recommend in single stack for Uspsa? I know .45 is the most widely made caliber in single stack 1911 guns. Would the 40S&W be of any advantage as far as recoil than the 45. I shoot a 45 Xdm right now but I am shooting limited with it and i have weighted the front down to help control it along with load development for it.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    With good reliable mags, 40 seems the way to go to me. You can load to major with 200gr bullets for a "push" in the hand or 165s for a "snap".
    You can also load down and shoot minor with 10 rounds in the mag.

Rig Magician

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Houma
    Scooter that is what I was kind of thinking. You can shoot eaither major or minor with the 40? Is there a limit in single stack, i know you can't go past 10 rounds
    Right? I guess i need to see if i can get to a rule book for Uspsa from here.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've looked at single stack in 40 S&W only b/c I'm already set up to reload 40 and not 45. No other reason. STI is really only game in town for that 1911.

dave

Rig Magician

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Houma
    Well I have a bout come up to that. I have been looking at all the other manufactures and can't fins a 40S&W in single stack. Now I just need to make up my mind which one to get. I will se. It will be between the trojan or the USPSA by STI. I may wait till next time I get off to make up my mind. I will not have enough time to get it and work up some loads this time home. SO I think I will wait till March and thin about it.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Spartan would be the way to go, IF it was available in 40S&W.

Huh, I learn something new every day!

I'd probably go with the .40 as well, for the sake of easy reloading. With your Limited gun on the way, it only makes sense IMO. As Scooter and Co. pointed out, there's quite a bit of versatility available to you in SS with a pistol thusly chambered, too.

Top Bottom