Size Doesn't Matter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Ellifritz_Rnds_to_Incap.jpg

I noticed that 10mm isn't on here. :mamoru:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Age old argument.

Survey says - metal @ a caliber of .17 and larger ripping through the human body at high speeds can/will be fatal.

Placed in the right spot and it can be fatal, quicker...

With today's choices of Defense Ammo, I don't think anyone should have any fears of carrying anything below the infamous .45 ACP

:dunno:

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I feel kinda foolish practicing with / carrying 38, 40 and 45 all these years when a lowly, cheap 22 would do essentially the same thing.

Well 'essentially' is indeed the key word. While yes a .22 will kill ya just as fast, Blood Loss can also play a major factor. So if you only get one shot off, you might want it to provide the biggest hole possible via .45. Therefore giving a completely legitimate reason for carrying a .45 :D

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It's actually more common knowledge now. It's the uninformed occupying internet that perpetuate the "stopping power" crap. Ask anyone who "knows" an they'll tell you getting good hits matters, caliber doesn't.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    A well placed .22 will work better than a miss with a 9mm. This was the reason behind me always leaving my wife my mark III until we found a 9mm she liked shooting. Now to find a 45 she likes that doesn't have the 1911 battery of arms to deal with.

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    Yes... but what if you only get ONE "good hit"? Don't argue about the cause; let's simply stipulate that you can only get off one round in the time before YOU are hit, etc., etc. Then, caliber damn sure CAN matter.

This is why I still go to the trouble of toting a .45. Yeah, I know all of the stories/techniques regarding "shoot them to the ground", etc., etc. I've seen a few results of just that; it works. But what if you cannot, for WHATEVER reason?

I'm fortunate in that I can dress pretty much how I choose, and therefore can dress around a larger pistol with no issue. Most folks who conceal carry do have that luxury; I get that. Which is why I'm usually silent on this topic... that, and I'm weary of arguing with i-experts who have never seen human meat hit.

But this is a slippery slope. Using the logic laid out here, one can easily "justify" a .380/.32/.22 as "enough"... and anyone with a lick of senses knows that is laughable.

yeah... not gonna trade my .357 or .44 for one of those NAA mini revolvers now.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    But this is a slippery slope. Using the logic laid out here, one can easily "justify" a .380/.32/.22 as "enough"... and anyone with a lick of senses knows that is laughable.

Oh hell no. I'm going to start carrying a Beretta Tomcat in .22 Short now. It'll work just fine. Like the article says, you don't need anything else. Caliber doesn't matter!

:draw:

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Well 'essentially' is indeed the key word. While yes a .22 will kill ya just as fast, Blood Loss can also play a major factor. So if you only get one shot off, you might want it to provide the biggest hole possible via .45. Therefore giving a completely legitimate reason for carrying a .45 :D

Thanks, I needed that.

Top Bottom