sks ???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Well, I'm no expert but I've been asking questions about this same thing. What I've been told is that those mags will fit the SKS that doesn't take the AK mags. Apparently the ones with the *fixed* mags can be modded (remove fixed mag) to take the one pictured with the Duckbill(?)

MAG-631.jpg

asianak

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    yes but u might wanna stay away from them. I bought like four of them when I got my first sks and they were all JUNK! If you're gonna go with a removable magazine then Tapco is the way to go. I know it doesn't have the "Jungle Banana Clip 30 or 40rds" but it does have 20rds and they work great.

username123

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    St. Bernard
    Well, I'm no expert but I've been asking questions about this same thing. What I've been told is that those mags will fit the SKS that doesn't take the AK mags. Apparently the ones with the *fixed*MAGS CAN BE MODDED(remove fixed mag) to take the one pictured with the Duckbill(?)

MAG-631.jpg

what kind if mods? and can i do them my self?

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    looks like he's hell bent on throwning money away. i mean buying these mags. take the advice of the others here and spend 2 more dollars and pick up some tapco 20 rounders.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    the original box comes out pretty easy and there is a pin that the new duckbill will sit on and then lock into the regular lock they fit pretty well just stay away from the metal ones. the tapco 20's function well. seems like they make a 30rd also but have some function issues.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    When Tapco is your BEST option, it's time to go a different direction... :rofl:

Stay away from the detachable mags, they're all junk. If you want 30rd mags, buy an AK or an SKS-M which is designed to accept AK mags.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    One word of caution. Converting the fixed box to a "detachable" duckbill configuration could constitute a "new construction" under 922r, thus making your SKS non-compliant. Although it has been a few years, the last time I checked, there were NOT enough US made parts on the market to get a SKS into the 10 or less game.

I've shot SKS rifles that had those duckbill magazines, and I have yet to find one that ever worked properly. IMHO, the 10 round box with stripper clips is the way to go.

ETA: Now I do recall some Norinco factory rifles in the 90s that took AK magazines and I think they were paratrooper models. Looking back, I wish I had purchased a crate of them when I had the chance. :(

ETA2: This is the "source" of my information regarding the 922r violation: http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/wwwboard/board3/messages/3572.html

ETA3: More information: http://victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc167103931

Last edited:
    Top Bottom