Skydiving

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdaige33

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Lafayette
    Hey guys im looking to go skydiving for my first time (tandem) but not sure excatly where to go. What are the best places to go in Louisiana? I live in lafayette so the closer the better but driving isnt much of a problem for a great experience.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Gold coast is a good choice. Don't rule out SpaceLand in Houston. They're both good places, and they're about the same distance from you. You can look into Skydive Nawlins in Slidell. The only drawback to them is they use a Cessna 210 and I think they only jump tandem at 10,500'agl. But they're closer by an hour or so.

I've been jumping since 2003 and it is an addiction that is hard to shake when it gets into your blood. Have fun and Blue Skies.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    At what speed will you hit the ground if your parachute doesn't open ?

Terminal velocity, if you have no drag by any canopy( if your tandem instructor doesn't pull anything) but with the rigs that the USPA requires that's impossible. They require a Cypress on all tandem rigs and drogue shutes to be used when the combined weight exceeds 250#. I have a "D" license( over 1000 jumps) and I have never been hurt worse than I could walk away from. As long as you do what your instructor tells you (on a tandem jump) then there's not much that can go wrong. If there's a malfunction in the main you have a reserve canopy that will go out after the main is cut. Also understand that Skydiving is an extreme sport so there are inherent risks involved. As I said before "have fun" and Blue Skies.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    At what speed will you hit the ground if your parachute doesn't open ?
    Depending on the positioning of your hands and the wind resistance, between 120 and 200 mph. Terminal velocity math was always fun in physics and we often used a skydiver with a broken shoot as starting points. The end never worked for the skydiver though.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    +1 for Gold Coast. I did a tandem with them in 2011, as shown here.

I'd done my first and only other tandem back in 1995 from a Cessna at 9500-10,000'. It was great, but jumping from 14,000' with Gold Coast beat it by far. Pretty much doubles the time in free fall.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom