Slide Fire...Anybody try it?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Pookie in Marksville swears they are the greatest thing ever(including sliced bread), but personaly they are not my cup of tea.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    There's been 3 threads in the past week on this. Yes it is worth it, compared to the cost of doing it legally any other way. It's fun to play with. I love mine and will be ordering the AK version as soon as it starts shipping. It does take a little getting used to , but once you're on, you're on, and it's easy to control.

SSAR - $350
    ATF Lower - $10-15,000
    Yeah, worth it

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Pookie in Marksville swears they are the greatest thing ever(including sliced bread), but personaly they are not my cup of tea.

Let me guess, Pookie has "50 of them in the back" ????

I went and picked up a shotgun I won up there, he's an alright guy, and I hear he's great with bows, but the gun end of it, well, ehh.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If he hadn't already ordered one, I'd let you try mine out. It really is fun and takes maybe 2 minutes to swap. I'm more amazed by how many people are scared to try it out lol

Jdalton

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Im getting one from a guy in hammond soon. Thers a guy ontje sportsman selling one in Br for 300. I cant wait to get mine and bring my ar to do what it was made to- spit lead!

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Let me guess, Pookie has "50 of them in the back" ????

I went and picked up a shotgun I won up there, he's an alright guy, and I hear he's great with bows, but the gun end of it, well, ehh.

Its more like "you know Im the only one who can get these things, cause I sold 90 of em the first day they got here. Now as they build em the call me and let me know how many more to sell"

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Its more like "you know Im the only one who can get these things, cause I sold 90 of em the first day they got here. Now as they build em the call me and let me know how many more to sell"

Ahahahaha, that's exactly what he said to me too lol

I got mine from GMShooter, plan on getting the next one (SSAK) from him as well.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Fun? Sure, no doubt.
    Economical? Compared to an RDAS or otherwise-stamped select fire, absolutely.
    Practical? Heh. Not s'much. (Although I imagine you could make a case for Fire Superiority, but I leave that for those with expert knowledge on the subject to discuss.)

One thing to bear in mind is that you're going to burn through ammo a lot faster. If reloading has taught me anything it's that you'll shoot as much as you can afford to-- not as much as you "plan". If you're the type that likes to go out and spray haphazardly just to hear the booms and feel the recoil, and find most of your rounds spent at the range through bumpfire, it won't effect your experience very much other than being a blast to shoot. The ratio of time spent shooting vs. time jamming mags will increase, but the difference in time you're actually on the range shouldn't change much.

Ask yourself how many rounds will it take to get your money's worth? (Better phrase that in terms of magazines and not individual shots, TBH.) 1000? 5000? Regardless of the figure, it equates to more cost than just the $350 of the stock itself. That may or may not be something that matters to you at all-- again, depending on your current shooting practices. But it's at least something to consider.

My best suggestion would be to find a friend who owns one and will let you take it for a spin at your liesure. Invest the $350 towards ammo and you won't feel obligated (or at least tempted) to use the SlideFire every time you go shoot. From a fun perspective, that might put a damper on things. But in terms of actually improving your abilities, that's probably an advantage.

They work extremely well in my limited experience, FYI. Pretty clever design, and seems to be sturdily constructed.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I have one its fun to shoot. If I have a bad day I take it to the range and feel a lot better. Waste a lot of ammo and not really something I would want in a shtf situation. It isn't something you can aim just pull the trigger quickly. You have to aim then slowly apply pressure without strongarming it. Definitely not a quick acquisition platform. But it is very controllable.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    i wonder if the ATF is ever going to step in on these and if they do will the ones already sold be grandfathered in or taken from you. not to mention almost everyone i've seen shoot these has a terrible stance

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    i wonder if the ATF is ever going to step in on these and if they do will the ones already sold be grandfathered in or taken from you. not to mention almost everyone i've seen shoot these has a terrible stance

Another valid concern, for sure-- and I forgot to mention it.

The trend would be to outlaw it after-the-fact and require all units sold to be returned and accounted for. Then you're out $350+.

At the same time, there's a very slight chance they'll somehow be grandfathered-- and then your $350 investment pays out in value something fierce.

Generally speaking, anyone who buys one of these things ought to have enough cash on hand to A) feed it, and B) not care too much if the $350 ends up as a total loss. But... not everyone spends money wisely, so it's good to cover all of the bases!

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    It comes with letters from both the BATFE and DOJ stating their position on it.

IIRC, didn't the Lightning Trigger or one of those gadgets come with the same thing-- all the way up until that position changed?

That sounds a bit contentious I just realized-- I'm genuinely asking about that one! Does the letter guarantee they won't change their mind later? (I think we're all pretty familiar with the flakey and douche-y nature of the BATFE.)

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Oh I know exactly where you're coming from, and I also am well aware of the fickle nature of federal regulating bodies. But those are the curent facts as they stand today.

Hell who here wouldn't have bought every single sear they could get for a few bucks back in the 80's knowing they'd be worth $15,000-50,000 today?

Top Bottom