Small 45s for concealed carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    The PT145 is indeed an amazing little pistol.

Unfortunately, the two I am familiar with are not reliable. One may be a magazine issue; it only mis-feeds occasionally.

The other one flat does not function; feeding, extraction, or ejection.

In any event, what appeared to be a couple of promising carry pieces have now been relegated to the sock drawer by their owners.

LSP,
    I have heard that, too, but none of my three Taurus' has ever malfunctioned even once. In four years. Not once.
    leVieux

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Glock 29 10mm

Personally, the only reason I wouldn't CC a 10mm is because I don't want to hurt someone I have no intention of hurting. In other words, the 10mm is so powerful, it could hurt the person standing behind your target, even if you have hollow points. That scares me. That REALLY scares me.

airfcad2002

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    i have a sig p220 elite and love it. as far as cc goes i just started carrying and i am still experimenting with holsters and such to find my comfortable setup. Some say its heavy but it doesn't bother me cause that's what gives it the smooth action and the ease of staying on target. bottom line is find one you're comfortable with and willing to trust with your life.

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    Dscn0272.jpg

:D

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Personally, the only reason I wouldn't CC a 10mm is because I don't want to hurt someone I have no intention of hurting. In other words, the 10mm is so powerful, it could hurt the person standing behind your target, even if you have hollow points. That scares me. That REALLY scares me.

Well that depends on the ammunition utilized. I shot a friend's G20 few years ago, and I swear the 10mm felt weaker than my .40 caliber G22. I remember my 10mm from my college years having much more snap to it on the recoil.

I posted my perceived difference in recoil on Glock Talk and was told that most modern day commercially available ammunition isn't loaded to the pressures that a 10mm from the 90s was loaded to. I want to say they recommended Double-Tap and Cor Bon if I were to get another 10mm.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans

(pic showed a Kimber 3" UDCP .45ACP with Wilson combat magazine)

I have one exactly like that, including the aftermarket Wilson Combat magazine; AND, I am telling you & all that the Taurus Millenium Pro PT-145 is a BETTER carry pistol. At half the price, too.

I have never had a single malfunction in any of my three Taurus'. I have had many range problems with the GLOCK 19 and the Kimber UCDP; but have never had any kind of FTF or ejection problem in the Taurus.

The ONLY problem with the Millenium Pro is the difficulty finding an IWB CC holster.

leVieux

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Well that depends on the ammunition utilized. I shot a friend's G20 few years ago, and I swear the 10mm felt weaker than my .40 caliber G22. I remember my 10mm from my college years having much more snap to it on the recoil.

I posted my perceived difference in recoil on Glock Talk and was told that most modern day commercially available ammunition isn't loaded to the pressures that a 10mm from the 90s was loaded to. I want to say they recommended Double-Tap and Cor Bon if I were to get another 10mm.

This is true and probably the reason for most of the difference in perceived recoil. The rest of it could be in part due to the 10mm being a larger-framed pistol.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Stupid is as STUPID DOES

(pic showed a Kimber 3" UDCP .45ACP with Wilson combat magazine)

I have one exactly like that, including the aftermarket Wilson Combat magazine; AND, I am telling you & all that the Taurus Millenium Pro PT-145 is a BETTER carry pistol. At half the price, too.

I have never had a single malfunction in any of my three Taurus'. I have had many range problems with the GLOCK 19 and the Kimber UCDP; but have never had any kind of FTF or ejection problem in the Taurus.

The ONLY problem with the Millenium Pro is the difficulty finding an IWB CC holster.

leVieux

+1 for the PT-145
    Like a dumb a$$ I traded mine for a Ruger Vaquerro 44 Magnum Revolver and I'm sorry I did :mad:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    If you CC'd your G22, there are plenty of .45s out there that aren't compact but still possible for you to conceal. I went this exact route, so I am speaking from experience. I considered the XD and the M&P, and ended up going with the latter (not disappointed). The P220 fullsize would meet your needs as well, and I'm sure there are others that I'm simply ignoring as they were never really a consideration for me, but quality nonetheless.

After making my decision, I got the chance to shoot a P220 and was impressed. Left up to me, I'd opt for a SAO version. They offer it in a Carry and Compact version, although I don't recall the differences off hand. Obviously, if you're set on something seriously compact, go that route. Just giving you a bit of food for thought.

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I've been carrying a Kimber SS Ultra Compact Raptor II for the past 6-8 months and could not be more satisfied with this as my CCW. Never had a single FTF, FTE. It's light but not so much that it's a problem to shoot and do so accuractly. I carry it in OTWB hip holster I found at Kimbers website. Use .230gr JHP Winchester Ranger Talon ammo.

OfficersAmboynaBurlgripswithasatinf.jpg

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    If you CC'd your G22, there are plenty of .45s out there that aren't compact but still possible for you to conceal.

I never concealed the G22 on a daily basis. Granted in the winter time, I did carry it a few times OWB with a coat or jacket hanging over it, but for the most part it was too big to hide. I usually carry a G19, G26, or a 1911.

I went this exact route, so I am speaking from experience. I considered the XD and the M&P, and ended up going with the latter (not disappointed). The P220 fullsize would meet your needs as well, and I'm sure there are others that I'm simply ignoring as they were never really a consideration for me, but quality nonetheless.

After making my decision, I got the chance to shoot a P220 and was impressed. Left up to me, I'd opt for a SAO version. They offer it in a Carry and Compact version, although I don't recall the differences off hand. Obviously, if you're set on something seriously compact, go that route. Just giving you a bit of food for thought.

You just made me realize something... I need to get off the computer and start checking out more gun stores.:rofl:

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    No ones mentioned the Glock 30sf. A little thicker than the 36 but holds 10+1. Love mine.

If you want something really small look at the AMT backup. Never shot one but find it neat from a novelty standpoint.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom