Small game/ duck hunting shotgun.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Lafayette
    Looking for peoples opinions on the best shotgun for what the title states.

I'm looking for something fairly nice, but I would like to keep it under lets say $1500.

I believe Id like a 12 gauge, although willing to listen to reasons why another gauge would be preferable.

Looking for the best bang for my buck that delivers, looks, performance and durability.

I'd like something I could possibly keep for a long time, maybe hand down to my son one day.

And for those of you who would not mind spending the time, educate me about your choice please.

Honestly, Id be very interested in learning why one shotgun over the other is a good shotgun for ducks/small game.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Looking for peoples opinions on the best shotgun for what the title states.

I'm looking for something fairly nice, but I would like to keep it under lets say $1500.

I believe Id like a 12 gauge, although willing to listen to reasons why another gauge would be preferable.

Looking for the best bang for my buck that delivers, looks, performance and durability.

I'd like something I could possibly keep for a long time, maybe hand down to my son one day.

And for those of you who would not mind spending the time, educate me about your choice please.

Honestly, Id be very interested in learning why one shotgun over the other is a good shotgun for ducks/small game.

$1500 ?! Sheesh :D :eek3:

Benelli Super Black Eagle FTW

kirby

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    Kansas City
    Benelli, best semi auto shotgun you can buy. I prefer my SBE II, it shoots 3.5" shells, and can be had for around 1500 if you look around. They have a recoil system similar to an AR, no gas operation. This means no replacing o-rings. The original Super Black Eagle is just as awesome. The early ones were manufactured by H&K, there is one in my family with well over 10,000 rounds through it, and it has been drug through more miles of rough terrain than my father, myself, or my two brothers care to remember.

I once heard, you can use a benelli for a shovel, for a paddle, and then kill ducks with it.

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    For shooting ducks, Id say a Beretta silver pidgeon. From my experiences and many friends that shood O/U's (I dont own one yet, but have borrowed a buddies many times) they actually come out cheaper shooting a O/U. Not cause they miss, but because they hit better. They actually kill a higher percentage of shots than with an auto or pump.
    I had a Benelli SBE until it got stolen. Have owned and still own a 870. Ive had many different shotguns. My all time favorite is the 20ga. Remington 1100 Ive had since I was about 9. It doesnt get shot very much, but still is very special to me. Currently I use a Winchester SX3. I like it. If I was going to spend $1500, the Remington 105cti is very nice also, My SX3 fits me the same, was cheaper, and I could get it with a synthetic stock which was important to me since I usually end up playing duck hunting guide, and the dog is always stepping on, over, shaking on my gun. And its not uncommon for my gun to ride back to the launch on the bottom of the boat covered by decoys.

A list in no particullar that I would think of for that amount would be

Winchester SX3
    Benelli SBE2
    Beretta (has a few nice models)
    Remington 11-87
    Remington 105cti
    Remington 870

Im sure there are a few more Id love to have, just not on the top of my head right now.

How bout a little more about what you want/need it for.

Ie.Double barrel, pump, auto. 2 3/4" chamber, 3", 3 1/2". Synthetic, wood stock. Mainly for waterfowl hunting (wet, muddy conditions) or upland (dry, controlled environment)

At the current time I probably have about 8-10 Shotguns and have owned several more. Every one I have has been used extensively. Im sure others here have way more experience than me, but Ill be happy to help if I can

misfire1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    New Iberia
    Remington 870 , It's my favorite all around shotgun lightweight and durable. Mine is Realtree hardwoods so I think it looks great also.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    +1 for the SBE. A friend lets me use his for sporting clays, several hundred rounds through it by me alone and not so much as a hiccup.

My dad had an old 870 wingmaster it = the Jam o matic, it was stolen and my newer 870 20 Ga jams frequently with 3 inch shells but it'll shoot 2 3/4 without a hiccup.

Garra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Lafayette
    How bout a little more about what you want/need it for.

Ie.Double barrel, pump, auto. 2 3/4" chamber, 3", 3 1/2". Synthetic, wood stock. Mainly for waterfowl hunting (wet, muddy conditions) or upland (dry, controlled environment)

At the current time I probably have about 8-10 Shotguns and have owned several more. Every one I have has been used extensively. Im sure others here have way more experience than me, but Ill be happy to help if I can

Well honestly I dont know, which is why I asked you all. :mamoru:

If I understand correctly, if a shotgun shoots 3 1/2" shells, it can also take smaller shells...if thats correct than it seems to me going 3 1/2 would be the smart thing to do.

And as for the conditions, waterfowl or upland, I want it to be able to handle both, I dont want to choose either or if I dont have to.

For stocks, I dont care if its synthetic or wood over all, but I will give a slight nod to the wood. It would not bother me at all if it had that sort of classic look to it. SOmething that looked like it ought to be passed on.

As for double barrel, pump, auto, over/under...I was sort of looking once again to the peanut gallery for options.

I have read that over unders are more so made for duck hunting if you wanted to get real technical about it, but of course any of the above would suffice. Staying with the classic look, I do like the double barrel and the over and unders alot. I am not at all against an auto, if more experinced hunters in this area would suggest it. Although I like pumps, it would seem to me it would be the least suited out of the mentioned options for the purposes I am looking for.

Darasick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Bossier City
    Since you want to keep this for a long time, I would suggest the Remington CTI 105. This is the first year that they are in production and are very unique in design with the semi-automatic bottom feed, bottom eject. It only comes in wood, which gives it that classic look to be passed down from generation to generation. It only weighs 7lbs and Remington claims that it has 48% less recoil than the competition. I seriously doubt that they are referring to Beretta's "Kick-off" option offered on the Extrema 2's, but I would say that it's only drawback is that the largest shell it will accept is 3". Personally I hunt ducks, geese, and hunt upland birds(only once a year) and I never shoot 3 1/2" shells.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    +1 for the Remington 870. Get the one that shoots 3 1/2 inch shells.
    :puke: 870 Wingmaster = Best shotgun ever made, IMHO. The 870 Super-Mag is a joke, IMHO. If you want 3.5" shells, use a 10 gauge.
    Benelli, best semi auto shotgun you can buy. I prefer my SBE II, it shoots 3.5" shells, and can be had for around 1500 if you look around. They have a recoil system similar to an AR, no gas operation. This means no replacing o-rings. The original Super Black Eagle is just as awesome. The early ones were manufactured by H&K, there is one in my family with well over 10,000 rounds through it, and it has been drug through more miles of rough terrain than my father, myself, or my two brothers care to remember.

I once heard, you can use a benelli for a shovel, for a paddle, and then kill ducks with it.
    No gas system = nothing like an AR. Only the rotating bolt is somewhat similar. Yes, the Inertia action of an SBE +SBEII is very reliable, an 870 can also be a paddle/shovel/shoot ducks/still cycle sub 3 dram 1 oz. target loads every time.
    Not to mention that the inertia recoil action is kinda harsh on the shoulder. Ask Topgunz1, JJoker16 and a few others about the one they shot I brought to sherburne.

Well honestly I dont know, which is why I asked you all. :mamoru:

If I understand correctly, if a shotgun shoots 3 1/2" shells, it can also take smaller shells...if thats correct than it seems to me going 3 1/2 would be the smart thing to do.

And as for the conditions, waterfowl or upland, I want it to be able to handle both, I dont want to choose either or if I dont have to.

For stocks, I dont care if its synthetic or wood over all, but I will give a slight nod to the wood. It would not bother me at all if it had that sort of classic look to it. SOmething that looked like it ought to be passed on.

As for double barrel, pump, auto, over/under...I was sort of looking once again to the peanut gallery for options.

I have read that over unders are more so made for duck hunting if you wanted to get real technical about it, but of course any of the above would suffice. Staying with the classic look, I do like the double barrel and the over and unders alot. I am not at all against an auto, if more experinced hunters in this area would suggest it. Although I like pumps, it would seem to me it would be the least suited out of the mentioned options for the purposes I am looking for.

Yes a 3.5 inch chamber shotgun can shoot all shells under that length.

when upland bird shooting, you use a much lighter load than when waterfowl hunting, and GASP, the almightly SBE *MAY* have cycling issues with lighter loads.

the main advantage to a nice O/U shotgun is that you can have 2 different choke constrictions. Use a tighter pattern in your top barrel for longer shots, and use a more open constriction in the bottom barrel for fast fly by/decoying shots. Most O/U's also have a "nimbler" feel to them for wingshooting. Don't forget you are also limited to 2 shots as well.

Of the purposes you mentioned, actually I feel that a Pump (870 Wingmaster)is the best candidate, except one, being a Treasured Heriloom. They WORK in all conditions, rain/snow/mud/heat/sand/sleet/whatever else, covered in mud, using any load from the lightest AA target loads, up to Magnum Turkey loads. If you buy an 870 Wingmaster, it will last you, and your kids, and probably grandkids. I have 2 that are way older than me, and are silky smooth, and I wouldnt get rid of them for anything. The wingmaster is leaps and bounds ahead of the express/express magnum in quality and fit and finish, check them out.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Lots of opinons out there he is mine. True duck hunting is a very involved hunt that you have to work at unless you are going on a guided hunt where someone else is doing all of the leg work for you. Or you have alot of cash where you have a blind leased in a rice field that you stop the truck 100yd from the blind and get in (I have done it several times myself personally I get more out of launching a boat and getting dirty). True hunting meaning you may have to wade through water, mud, marsh, swamp, ect it all depends on where you are hunting. Bottom line if you are a true duck hunter and you are throwing out and picking up decoys and wading through water and marsh going after cripples then your gun is going to take some abuse. Because of that I would not pay high dollar for a nice walnut stock that is going to get beat up. For duck hunting IMO a synthetic stock is the only way to go. If you are looking at pumps I would say Remington 870 or Benelli Nova. Both are work horse proven guns. They will save you alot of money as opposed to a semi-auto. Your gun is going to get muddy, wet, and possibly go overboard. You can manually pump a dirty gun even if you have to abuse it. Semi-auto's just have more going on and may not cycle under extrme conditions. If you keep your gun clean though you shouldnt have any problems. If you are looking at semi-auto's my choice would be what I shoot Beretta Xtrema2 in camo Max 4 for duck hunting followed by well nothing but Remington, Browning Gold, and Benelli SBE are all good choices. I would get the 3 1/2" chamber no matter what gun you decide on for geese. I shoot 3" shells for ducks but if you would go on a goose hunt I would recommend 3 1/2" shells.

As for as a hierloom I would get a nice over and under. That is usually used for upland game birds where the gun comes out of the case at the truck, you walk for the hunt (quail, wood cock, pheasant, ect) and when you are done you are back at the truck and you put your baby in its case. The gun doesnt get abused by decoys, dogs stepping on it ect. Beretta has some very nice over and under field guns. That would be my choice. The sky is the limit on price they have 6 Beretta Gallerys in the world and 2 in the USA. Dallas and New York. The guns you buy from there are Gallery Guns that are only sold there. They sell the same models such as Silver Peigon ect but they have enlays that are only found on gallery guns so you would not have that if you went order one from you local store. I would do my research, call them up to order or check if they have what you want in stock and go take a ride. I have been to the Dallas Gallery the most expensive over and under I saw was $120,000. I have a pic of the tag if anyone calls BS. You are buying art work and craftsmanship at this point. If you have that kind of cash you are on the wrong forum LOL. But you can get a very unique piece for about 2500 and up.

So IMO a duck gun will never be an hierloom that is beautful so if you can shoot a pump get that for duck hunting. Save about 1150 of that 1500 you were going to spend and put that on a nice O/U.

Check out the vids on the right hand side of the page. Unbelieveable.

http://www.berettagallery.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=906

Last edited:

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Richard in LA;104567 when upland bird shooting said:
    The SBE handles lighter loads just fine, and as for the Jam-o-matic, well I'll just agree to disagree with you on that one. I forgot that my high school buddy had one too, his was nicknamed the "jammamatic". Don't get me wrong, It is a tough gun, but I have yet to see one function consistiently with heavier loads, lighter loads I have never seen a problem. Of course I haven't had the opportunity to see that many in action.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    The SBE handles lighter loads just fine, and as for the Jam-o-matic, well I'll just agree to disagree with you on that one. I forgot that my high school buddy had one too, his was nicknamed the "jammamatic". Don't get me wrong, It is a tough gun, but I have yet to see one function consistiently with heavier loads, lighter loads I have never seen a problem. Of course I haven't had the opportunity to see that many in action.

never used the term "jammomatic" so I am a bit confused on that. I do know that when I first got into waterfowling, I wanted a benelli bad. After actually using one, I got an AL390 Silver Mallard, and would still be using it, but it got stolen, and has been replaced with a 391 Urika. I usually carry an 870 in the boat, just in case, as a backup.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    never used the term "jammomatic" so I am a bit confused on that. I do know that when I first got into waterfowling, I wanted a benelli bad. After actually using one, I got an AL390 Silver Mallard, and would still be using it, but it got stolen, and has been replaced with a 391 Urika. I usually carry an 870 in the boat, just in case, as a backup.

I think he was "agree to disagreeing" with you on the 870 not being a jammomatic.

Top Bottom