smith and wesson internal lock removal and plug

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    So I've been reading about the small potential that the internal lock on a smith revolver can, like any part, fail. I know how to disassemble my 686 because I've done it a few times, and removing the lock seems like a piece of cake from the video I watched on youtube of a guy doing it. However, I don't want an open hole in the frame of my revolver for both looks and to keep dust out of the action. I've read online that there is a gun on the smith and wesson forum that makes plugs for the hole, but I was wondering if anyone here knew of any alternatives or commercially made ones, or if anyone local makes one. Failing that, if anyone here has bought one from the guy on the smith forum. I just hate to buy something from someone that I know nothing about regarding professional reputation.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Thanks for all the info! my 686 is a 6" barrel that is a dedicated target gun, so it isn't priority #1 right now, but I want to get one of the 3" 686 7 shots one day, and figured if I was going to do it to that one I would at least try it first on the gun I am not going to bet my life on.

Though if I'm lucky I'll just find a good deal on a good condition pre-lock gun that will suit my purposes.

I'm comfortable taking the gun apart, because I have done it a few times for kicks and to install new springs. I've taken everything out except for the lock. It doesn't look that difficult, but like I said, I don't want to have a hole or leave any part of the lock in there in case of a problem.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I only have one S&W with the dreaded lock and my wife usually keeps it in her truck as a back up, now I guess I need to have that damn thing removed who can I go to? It's a 637 I believe.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I only have one S&W with the dreaded lock and my wife usually keeps it in her truck as a back up, now I guess I need to have that damn thing removed who can I go to? It's a 637 I believe.
    Yeah I have one or 2 also. Who would be up to it and how much?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom