Smoked Nutria and Andouille Sausage Gumbo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Gotta agree on the rabbit taste. Unless you knew it was a nutria you would swear it is a rabbit..no bull here either.

GaryCCR

Off target
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Westbank, La
    I made a nutria stew with a big male. I took the leg and backstrap and cubed it and let it soak in some red wine worchestershire sauce overnight. The next day I cooked it for hours in a dark roux until it was tender. I added; onions, bell pepper, garlic, celery, potatoes, carrots, and put it over rice! It was delicious. I can't want to do it again. My wife said it tasted like a really good beef stew.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I made a nutria stew with a big male. I took the leg and backstrap and cubed it and let it soak in some red wine worchestershire sauce overnight. The next day I cooked it for hours in a dark roux until it was tender. I added; onions, bell pepper, garlic, celery, potatoes, carrots, and put it over rice! It was delicious. I can't want to do it again. My wife said it tasted like a really good beef stew.
    Recipe please!

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La

My wife would kill me in my sleep if I made her eat nutria. I would love to try it though.

Ijaw

Unknown Camper
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Bayou Tigre, LA
    Perhaps you could speak to Chef Brian Berry at Hotel Acadiana Bayou Bistro and sample his Smoked Nutria and Andouille Sausage Gumbo?

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    Years ago they had NutriaFest at the Nature Center.
    They had five top chefs prepare it five different ways.
    It was all delicious. Haven't had any since, but I would
    if it was available. Too bad it's never gonna be popular.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Where can one obtain nutria meat except for killing one yourself? I'd try it but how do you know if it wasn't road kill or sitting in the bed of a pickup all day?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Nutria are actually more selective in their diet than marsh rabbits. Nutria prefer the basal of plants (the heart or prime rib, if you will). The stigma has and will always be the animals' appearance. I will let you all in on a secret; if there ever is a food crisis or major natural disaster where store shelves are decimated, I am heading to the marsh. ;)

EightySix

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Nutria are actually more selective in their diet than marsh rabbits. Nutria prefer the basal of plants (the heart or prime rib, if you will). The stigma has and will always be the animals' appearance. I will let you all in on a secret; if there ever is a food crisis or major natural disaster where store shelves are decimated, I am heading to the marsh. ;)

I have eaten Nutria several times. The days are long gone when I will let a nutria swim by while paddling my pirogue heading to the duck blind.

Nutria=delicious

Top Bottom