Snake Identified! Midland Brown Snake, Thanks Mojo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Major Pain

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge (Central)
    Snake Identified! Midland Brown Snake, Thanks Mojo

anyone know what we have here? snake.jpg

Last edited:

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    Kinda hard to tell exactly from the pic how big it is. But my best guess would be a rough earth snake. Not rare, but not found often. I have smooth earth snakes in my area. Either that or a young garter snake, but that is a funny pattern for one. Shape of the head and pattern say its harmless for sure. Let him go back to eating his worms and small prey, he's not gonna hurt anyone.

Major Pain

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge (Central)
    Cool, thanks guys. I have him in a 40gal tank ATM. I did not think it was harmful tho. it is in a one qt jar to give you an idea of size. I keep them for a bit then let them go. I like to do my best to educate people when they come out here. Im going to take pics and put the name of the sake on them to keep record of what i have caught. Thanks again guys. I hope y'all are enjoying this beautiful day!

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    They're commonly bred as pets. There were a bunch for sale at the reptile show at Lamar Dixon. Very docile and shouldn't bite. If you have kids don't be afraid to let them handle the little guy. They love earthworms and crickets.

Major Pain

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge (Central)
    no major did not find him, my wife did. we are doing yard work today and came across it. I still can't get her to hold it tho even after i showed her what you said Mojo. right now its chilling on my lap, very docile.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    no major did not find him, my wife did. we are doing yard work today and came across it. I still can't get her to hold it tho even after i showed her what you said Mojo. right now its chilling on my lap, very docile.

A lap snake..HeHeHe! and your wife won't touch it...Ok we won't even go there.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Cool! Danielle spotted a Speckled King in our backyard the other day. Probably about 1.25" in diameter. Judging from some holes we've seen in the ground, he's probably a resident, which we're happy about! No rodents sneaking around the bird feeder, and less likelihood of moccasins coming from the ditch in back too.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Thanks for the response.....I thought it was the same critter..I majored in zoology and got out in '84 so I guess my snake IDs are still good to go..These are great little snakes and make pretty fair pets as long as you remember to feed them..BEWARE--Cats like bringing them into the house!!

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Thanks for the response.....I thought it was the same critter..I majored in zoology and got out in '84 so I guess my snake IDs are still good to go..These are great little snakes and make pretty fair pets as long as you remember to feed them..BEWARE--Cats like bringing them into the house!!

Now you're bring back some good memories.. when i was in high school i kept snakes in my room..that is until 3 o'clock one morning when mom woke up to our cat standing on her chest with one of my ribbon snakes dangling from its mouth. Mom's hasn't been the same since.

Top Bottom