SNAP Cuts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I’ve been wrestling with my thoughts about the November 1st cut in food stamps, or SNAP. I know that nationally, almost half of the US population lives in a household that receives SNAP. That includes about 21 million children and over 9 million seniors and people with disabilities. I know that food stamps provide an important and deserved supplement to the family budget for many of those folks.

But I also know that there are too many people who are working the system, too many who could do more to support themselves and their families, but choose not to. I personally know some of those people, sadly I am even related to a few.

An article I read recently about the impact of the SNAP cut featured the complaints of a single mother of seven (7!) children. With all due respect to those SNAP recipients who really need and deserve the benefit, it seemed to me that the author of that article could have picked a better example to highlight!

I find myself donating to food banks and similar charities, even when it grates on my sense of right/wrong to see people essentially using their own children to milk the government. But I can’t blame the kids, and I can imagine how I would feel if my kids or grandkids were at risk of going hungry!

This link gives a lot of detailed info about SNAP and the cuts, maybe eye-opening for some...

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=4036

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Last year I was behind a woman (democrat) who was complaining that she only had $115/month on her LA Purchase Card and that "ain't hardly nowhere enough to buy my food!".......which I replied out loud, "Let me see, $110 x 12 is $1,320 a year, tax free for food -- I could only wish!"

Single Mother of 7 -- this is now the norm and is a trend that WILL ruin this country.....and our politicians reward this trend with free food that will equal 7 future votes. Sheesh.

Just another "entitlement" When will it stop?

"We should measure welfare's success by how many people leave welfare, not by how many are added."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Oh Well "Two out of Three ain't Bad"

Hummmm...Cut's of any kind sound bad whether is Snap, Crackle, or Pop:}

sf1da8szf142ij8akpqp.jpg

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    They breed like rats to get even more stuff, vicious abuse cycle of them not trying to work their way out of the situation! Therefore it continues for generation after generation. OH yea, they also VOTE for a LIVING!

The thing that trips my trigger is they buy there food (stuff I can afford), pull their SNAP out of a $500 purse, while chatting and texting on a top of the line smartphone, then haul it home in a vehicle that has extravagant wheels and tires, and then the sound system will be heard till they leave the parking lot.

Is that subsidy or just a tax dodge to hide the monies being made without being reported as income? :deadhorse:

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    Giving people food month after month does not solve any problems whatsoever. It only fosters them, not to mention the percentage of people on food and housing assistance who are obese is astronomical.

I worked with an Indian immigrant at a college some years back who laughed hysterically at Americans who talked of poverty in this country. He said its impossible for people who are impoverished to be fat.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I’ve been wrestling with my thoughts about the November 1st cut in food stamps, or SNAP. I know that nationally, almost half of the US population lives in a household that receives SNAP. That includes about 21 million children and over 9 million seniors and people with disabilities. I know that food stamps provide an important and deserved supplement to the family budget for many of those folks.

But I also know that there are too many people who are working the system, too many who could do more to support themselves and their families, but choose not to. I personally know some of those people, sadly I am even related to a few.

An article I read recently about the impact of the SNAP cut featured the complaints of a single mother of seven (7!) children. With all due respect to those SNAP recipients who really need and deserve the benefit, it seemed to me that the author of that article could have picked a better example to highlight!

I find myself donating to food banks and similar charities, even when it grates on my sense of right/wrong to see people essentially using their own children to milk the government. But I can’t blame the kids, and I can imagine how I would feel if my kids or grandkids were at risk of going hungry!

This link gives a lot of detailed info about SNAP and the cuts, maybe eye-opening for some...

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=4036

Almost half the US population and only 21million children? That doesn't bode well with the stereotypical example of 1 mother and 5-6 kids living off the system.

thustead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    houma
    Good point math does not add up. No one wants to see children go hungry, right. The abuse of the system shows a weak and ineffectual control of benefits, which is what we all would like to see.

mdr

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I would like to see restrictions on what kinds of food snap could be used for. Like no ten dollar a pound ribeyes. It infuriates me to see snap used on stuff like crawfish which definately isn't wise use of funds. And by the way I am sole provider for my wife and two kids. I'm a residential carpenter whose business basically went under since this recession hit. I definitely qualify for plenty of food stamps but refuse to suck on the system. It has been hard but many things in life are difficult.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I would like to see restrictions on what kinds of food snap could be used for. Like no ten dollar a pound ribeyes. It infuriates me to see snap used on stuff like crawfish which definately isn't wise use of funds. And by the way I am sole provider for my wife and two kids. I'm a residential carpenter whose business basically went under since this recession hit. I definitely qualify for plenty of food stamps but refuse to suck on the system. It has been hard but many things in life are difficult.

Like the WIC. You can only get the cheapest brands.

the dubshow

master plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    The thing is, these arent true cuts, just a bump that was put in effect to cushion the 2008 [doom/gloom/death spiral/housing bubble/2nd great depression] which was set to expire because everything is peachy in 2013.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Like the WIC. You can only get the cheapest brands.

WIC is a joke. I watched so many people abusing that openly it isn't even funny.

Feed a child a hotdog who is a year old? Automatic WIC qualification. Obese mother? WIC qualification. Underweight mother? WIC qualification. Obese child? You get the picture. Obviously a few other things are taken into account, but I watched people come in all the time "I like the...my SON likes the grape flavor...". It's a joke.

Take the welfare away and watch people learn to do for themselves.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I am all for cuts in money that the gov hands out freely to people, but I think they should devote time to people who are scamming the system. There are LOTS of people on Food Stamps that actually need them. Good people in a bad situation who need to be able to feed their kids. I would rather them work on cutting out scammers instead of general broad cuts.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I am all for cuts in money that the gov hands out freely to people, but I think they should devote time to people who are scamming the system. There are LOTS of people on Food Stamps that actually need them. Good people in a bad situation who need to be able to feed their kids. I would rather them work on cutting out scammers instead of general broad cuts.

Never happen. One party has a monopoly on and count on these votes.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Makes me wonder about 'jobs Americans won't do' vs holy chit, I ain't got nothing to eat. I think a lot if it is self correcting, just nobody wants to be the one to do it.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I am all for helping people out when they truly need the help. But sometimes people just need a swift kick in the ASS!!!!! I also support the monthly drug test requirement for recipients of any Govt. subsidy. If regular Joe Schmoe's have to pass a drug test to get and keep a job then they should as well.

I speak from personal experience to when I was a child. My mother was on the Govt. tit for many years and there was no reason for it accept the fact that she was addicted to crack and a raging alcoholic. Her and her boyfriend used to wait by that mailbox every month on the first and then it was on. The truly sad thing is that he was a very successful plumber and could have written his own ticket as a master certified plumber. But they were to busy trying to get high.

That is the very short story. But I say all that to get to this point. Just because there are children in the house and they get food stamps or whatever, doesnt mean the child or children are eating off those stamps. My mom used to sell them for 50 cents on the dollar.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ... Just because there are children in the house and they get food stamps or whatever, doesnt mean the child or children are eating off those stamps...

Sad but true. But short of taking away custody of kids and mandatory sterilization to prevent further breeding, what's the solution?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cognac.cal
    Top Bottom