So I want a .22LR upper

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • loewermx

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Alexandria, La
    Can someone point me in the direction of where to look. I already have an AR and would like to save some money on ammo. I have looked at the conversions but heard they are not as accurate.

Thoughts?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    spikestactical.com . i have one of their dedicated .22lr uppers, M4 profile. now they make it in Lightweight, and Middy styles. you can also get a CMMG .22lr upper from M4Store.net

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    the conversions are not as accurate for a couple reasons. .22lr barrels are a bit tighter than 5.56 barrels, and most 5.56 barrels have rifling that is too fast for a .22lr bullet. also the chamber adapter is not rifled, so the bullet actually goes 2" or so before contacting rifling. They are still pretty accurate, but not "match-grade" accurate.

as for a complete upper, you can either get a .22lr barrel from Model1Sales and build an upper yourself, or buy a complete one from either them, Spikes tactical, TacSol, and many other manufacturers make dedicated uppers nowadays. Also, don't forget that the S&W MP15-22 will probably cost about the same as a dedicated upper alone, and you get a complete rifle. .22lr is dirty, and will require you to clean up your 5.56 lower really good after a nice range session.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I just finished building a dedicated .22 upper. I used a dedicated barrel, with a ciener kit with a chamber collar. It functions fine, but I have yet to test it's accuracy. I will post pics and details about it when I get back home.

JR1572

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I just finished building a dedicated .22 upper. I used a dedicated barrel, with a ciener kit with a chamber collar. It functions fine, but I have yet to test it's accuracy. I will post pics and details about it when I get back home.

JR1572

Let us know how it works, thanks JR1572.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Alright, I'm going to talk a little bit about my .22 upper.

I built my own because I had a bunch of parts laying around and said to myself "self, let's build a dedicated upper." Between that and the fact that I have a Ciener kit that has over 10,000 rounds through it already, why start over and try to work kinks out of another .22 conversion kit? No thanks. Plus, all I needed was a chamber collar and barrel, which was not that expensive.

I wanted an upper with a very short barrel. Spike's shortest listed was 5.5, and if I wanted to go shorter, I had to add $75. No thanks. I found a guy on another website that has dedicated .22 barrels that are 4.5 inches with a 1:16 twist. Why 4.5 inches? Because when I shoot standard velocity ammo out of it, it will remain subsonic. Add my can to the end of it, and it's going to be really quiet.

The upper, which I'm not going to post pictures of, runs great. It consists of:

a flat top upper
    YHM FF Carbine rail
    Ciener Kit with collar, sear trip and anti-bounce weight
    4.5 inch barrel
    Magpul MBUIS set
    .22 FA rated can

Now, I used the Ciener kit in my extra upper with the standard chamber adaptor for a while. The amount of .22 I shoot, the lead clogged up the gas tube quick. But it functioned fine, and only gave me trouble when it was not lubed up. Now, with that beinging said, I would only take the kit apart and clean it well every second or third trip to the range.

Let me know if that helps.

I have never handled a Spikes or TacSol upper, but everyone I know that has loves them.

JR1572

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    ok, i always talk about my rifles, but never show them. here's my Spike's .22lr upper, on a Noveske lower. the only thing i did wrong with this build, was treat it like a real .223/5.56 and get really nice components for it. but then again, all i need to get it to shoot .223/5.56 is a barrel (i've got a spare gas tube). might one day buy an 11.5 or 12.5" barrel and SBR the entire rifle.

Spikes22_1.JPG

Spikes22_2.JPG

Top Bottom