So I want something smaller..

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I carry a M&p Shield9 98% of the time, the other 2% I carry a m&p9c.

I find myself carrying most times, except when wearing gym shorts. I'm now wanting something smaller, and lighter than the Shield. Main concerns is order are reliability, weight, mag capacity. I'm thinking a small revolver, maybe the Ruger LCR? I will do more research on the pocket sized pistols since I havent really paid them any mind, just want to know if there are any I might want to stay away from. If its a semi auto, I want 9mm since I have lots of it already. If revolver, my first choice would be .357 so I have the option to shoot both, but would settle for a .38, since it's better than not carrying at all I suppose. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

DStewart

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    New Orleans
    Have you thought about switching holsters? I carry a vp9 75% of the time and a glock 26 the other 25% (which even includes gym shorts).

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You will get popular votes for:
    Kahr PM9
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Sig P238
    Kimber Solo
    J-Frames

Most recently:
    Glock 42 & Glock 43

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I carry the same guns. Mostly the m&p9c with the shield when I want something lighter. And when I don't want to carry, my gun of choice is my ruger Lcp with a Keltec clip installed on the side. Doesn't require a holster that way, and not heavy enough to drag my pants down

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I would rather something lighter and smaller. I'd love something with a clip on it, that would be veryyy easy....then I'd have to practice racking the slide back when drawing which I don't care for too much.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I would rather something lighter and smaller. I'd love something with a clip on it, that would be veryyy easy....then I'd have to practice racking the slide back when drawing which I don't care for too much.

Why have a handgun with a pocket clip, when you can get an IWB kydex taco with a FOMI clip? It's not much larger and actually gives you a holster.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Unless you're buying a scandium alloy framed j frame, typically, most .357 snubbies are heavier than they're .38 counterpart. The .357 LCR is about 3-4 ounces heavier than the .38 LCR.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I think i'm looking for an excuse for another gun I don't really NEED? I'll just go with it though.

Dave- will definitely use a holster.
    Will- I guess I could make belt loops on my shorts lol.
    Cujo- I learned that quickly after making the thread. I'm really leaning towards the LCR in .38. It was actually your for sale thread that made me think I need a pocket gun lol

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I think i'm looking for an excuse for another gun I don't really NEED? I'll just go with it though.

Dave- will definitely use a holster.
    Will- I guess I could make belt loops on my shorts lol.
    Cujo- I learned that quickly after making the thread. I'm really leaning towards the LCR in .38. It was actually your for sale thread that made me think I need a pocket gun lol

This is a wee bit off topic, but if you want lightweight shorts to bum around in/go to the gym, then I highly recommend looking at Columbia Omni-Shade shorts. They weight next to nothing and have belt loops.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

I carry +1, so no racking needed.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Id really look into a good holster and carry chambered. Keep the trigger covered. If it's ever needed, you probably won't have a lot of extra time.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Id really look into a good holster and carry chambered. Keep the trigger covered. If it's ever needed, you probably won't have a lot of extra time.

I forgot to add that I always carry with a round chambered. I have never had a problem with carrying with a belt clip with the 2 guns I listed. I am not so sure I would carry others in that manner but those never worried me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I forgot to add that I always carry with a round chambered. I have never had a problem with carrying with a belt clip with the 2 guns I listed. I am not so sure I would carry others in that manner but those never worried me.

No offense meant but isn't that bad advice (maybe not advice but practice?) I'm not trying to be rude you usually always have great contributions but this one makes me scratch my head since you said you carry them without a trigger guard/holster.

I believe in carry chambered with something protecting the trigger. I could see maybe doing that with a revolver but even that make me a little apprehensive.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    No offense meant but isn't that bad advice (maybe not advice but practice?) I'm not trying to be rude you usually always have great contributions but this one makes me scratch my head since you said you carry them without a trigger guard/holster.

I believe in carry chambered with something protecting the trigger. I could see maybe doing that with a revolver but even that make me a little apprehensive.

The "clip" is made to be Carried that way. Being doing that since the Lcp first came out years ago with zero issues. It's not like it's in your pocket and you run the risk of grabbing it wrong, especially in your waist, there's nothing there to pull the trigger. Plus the triggers on this gun is so long and heavy I would imagine you would feel it.

Would I carry my g19 and m&p9c that way. (Both with modified triggers) nope....

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

I don't think so. I don't advocate anyone carrying in any manner they don't feel comfortable doing. I personally have zero worries carrying those two model weapons in that manner.

Quick story, when I was brand new to firearms I loved Kimber 1911s and had to have one. I bought one as soon as I could afford one and was a little nervous about carrying it cocked and locked. I continued to carry my usual off duty gun while out in public but as soon as I got home i strapped on the 1911 cocked and locked but unloaded. I carried it around doing different chores and countless draws with it until I was confident that cocked and locked was not anything to worry about. I suggest anyone trying a new method of carry to do the same thing. Just my opinion though.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Thanks for clearing that up. I haven't carried anything other than the 19 so far so I know zero of pocket guns. Just always thought something covering the trigger was a golden type rule like muzzle awareness etc.

Top Bottom