So... Im Fat

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    and I am tired of it. So heres the story... In high school I played football, 210lb 6'ft, I was a very stocky and very in shape. I felt bulletproof, there was nothing that could stop me.... until i had a bad car accident in december of 2003... to make a long story short... i flew out in front of my truck, truck landed on top of me, 3 months in the hospital, docs telling me i would never walk or lead a normal life and 13 surgeries, 9 months of in home care, 9 months of not being able to even sit down ( i had a shattered pelvis so i had to stay in a laying position.) 1 year and 8 months of not being able to walk, 6 months of PT . Going through the whole depression thing that comes from being bullet proof to not even being able to use the bathroom by myself so i turned to the only other thing i was good at.... cooking .... so i put on alot of fat. Here I am at almost 8 years later at about 275lbs and leading a normal life contrary to what the docs said. I find it hard to find exercises that does not cause me pain. I hurt my back about 2 years ago at work (4 disk herniation) which makes it even harder, but i really just have to put the pain aside at this point. I want to get back in football shape. I am only 25 and I am posting this to keep me motovated. I figure if i post this i will have the motovation i need to keep going. I dont like failing when people know i am trying for something.. So let me know if any of you know some exercises i can do that wont cause alot of stress on my back I am going to start off slow and work my way into more stuff later on. I figure I will start off riding bikes a couple of miles a day and eating healthy. I am getting P90x next week so I will give that a try. I figure if the people on the biggest loser that are wayyy more out of shape than me can do it.... so can I. Wish me luck... i'll keep y'all updated on how im doing. Thanks for any advice!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Swimming is the best cardio / calorie burning exercise out there and there is little to no impact on joints. I've been a swimmer my whole life and definitely recommend it to anyone looking to shape up.

WHAT he said, you looking at it from the wrong perspective IMO which will cause more damage and pain down the road, I would start building up my body by swimming it will involve ALL muscles in your body, once you start loosing that weight and generating lean muscle it will be harder to have an injury, then you can add some light workouts that will create stress in the joints but the muscle around them will protect them to an extend.

Keep in mind eventhough you are a great cook, most of louisiana couisine is VERY fatty so you will have to cut that down as well, get rid of the carbonated drinks in your life and alcohol if possible and things will start shaping up pretty quick.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    If you survived that, your excersise regime should be possible to adhere to.

If impact is a concern invest in a facility where you can get into the POOL! Make no mistake the POOL is not a joke and there are pool exercise classes I've attended where I got thrashed standing right next to Granny who made it look easy. Also SCREW what you look like in your bathing suit. Just remember, you won't be looking like that for long.

I would first start by getting rid of the trash in your pantry. Everyone knows the whole Meats, Veggies and Fruits diet is best. However you'll hear a lot about the cost of these products. WELL! When you stop buying Ding Dongs, Frosted Flakes, Frozen Pizza's, Fast food and all sorts of other Super High Fructose Corn Syrup induced Sodium filled MSG laden products that somehow got labeled as FOOD!

You'll be able to afford Fruits, Vegetables and Meats. :D

If it’s not in the pantry, you can’t eat it.

You like to cook? Great! Get online and fine you a good Healthy Cooking cookbook. P90x will actually challenge your cooking ability with their own Diet plan cookbook.

About P90x. By all means I’m not trying to dampen your spirit brother, but pace yourself. Set some LONG TERM Goals. P90x is NOT a Beginner program. Of course you don't have to do everything they do exactly how they do it but don't set yourself up for failure.

If you’re a BeachBody.com fan I’d suggest the 10 minute Trainer first for AT LEAST 6 weeks on a healthy diet. I bet you’d drop 20 lbs. Once your able to do all 5 Series of workouts from the Ten Minute Trainer 6 days a week for at least 2 weeks, then I’d say you’re ready for P90x/. That will take you at least 6 to 8 weeks to get to by the way. That's a good starter goal btw. Maybe less depends on you.

Here are some general guidelines;

NO LESS THAN! 1 gallon of water a day. It’s VERY hard for the body to burn fat without water. 1 gallon MINIMUM!

Mixed UNSALTED Nuts or Unsalted Almonds. Make this one of your daily snacks.

Fruit/Veggies try and eat at least two different kinds a day. Don’t just stick on Apples and Oranges, Carrots and Lettuce. Peaches, Kiwi, Avocado, Broccoli, Greens the list is long and you know it right, you’re a cook. "Variety is the Spice of life", you’ll hear that soon ;)

Fish Oil Pills – (This will help your body Burn Fat more efficiently [WITH that 1gl of water a day] and lube your joints) Take AT LEAST 2000mg daily for the next 60 days. Take a month or two off, and then hit it up again for another 60 days. You can repeat this cycle until you reach your goal fitness level.

Protein Powder – Wal-Mart Brand is GREAT and Cheap. Put a serving down within 30 minutes of workout completion.

Stay AWAY from Fat Loss pills!!!
    (Don't play this game)

Meat;
    Limit Red Meat to once a week. Booo! I know, I know I'm from LA too ok just "Do your best and forget the Rest" another one you'll hear soon too ;)

Stick to Turkey Breast Cutlets, Turkey Ground Meat, Chicken Breast, Fish, Pork etc. White Meats.

Stay away from canned everything as much as possible.

No MORE WHITE STARCHES! No White Bread, No White Rice, No White Noodles!
    Go Brown/Whole Wheat everything.

Remember just to do SOMETHING every day. Start off with the Mon/Wed/Friday rule. But at least do 10 minutes of stretching on the off days. Just do something, 10 pushups, 10 jumping jacks and 20 crunches a day. Anything!

Or do the Marine Corp Daily 7

Do something/anything will also curb your dieting. When you work hard to burn those calories you’ll start to HATE the things that put those calories on you in the first place.

Also go through the Fitness section. I’ve slammed this forum with all sorts of helpful info. Spend some time reading them.

Remember this;
    SET GOALS! Real Goals, like an actual weight number or measurement and set a date to meet that goal.
    Take Measurements every 30 days. VERY IMPORTANT! The scale will lie to you at times but the Tape Measurements never do. Anyone into fitness can tell you they’ve seen it before. The scale might not move, but the measurements tell the tale. It’s called the Tale of the Tape for a reason ;)

Use this card to get started;

malemeasurmenttracker.jpg

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Great advice, especially on taking measurements. We've been at it for 5 weeks or so now, doing Insanity (about to start the home stretch), and while my weight has stayed the same, my measurements are definitely changing.

Also, not being a smartass or anything, but-
    Stick to Turkey Breast Cutlets, Turkey Ground Meat, Chicken Breast, Fish, Pork etc. White Meats.
    Pork counts as a white meat? I didn't realize that. If so, my life just got a lot easier :drool:

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I would love to find a place to swim.. i will have to look into a fitness center in hammond that offers one. Thanks for all the advice! Thanks for the info hitman! I never really eat fast food at all... i figure i can make it better and cheaper at home :p. i did go to culinary arts school ... as far as soft drinks go... i drink 3-5 cans a month ( and thats a big maybe) when i go out to eat or at a fam funtion. I normaly drink sweet tea... ik ik... thats not that good for you but its gotta be better than rootbeer :)... i really do need to start drinking lots of water. I eat pretty healthy as it is... i love my veggies and fruits! I think alot of my problem comes in with eating late at night before i get to bed and portion controle. I am excited about getting back to a healthy weight. once i set my mind to it I stick with it. Im about to go take my measurements and take a pic so i can track my progress.. Thanks everyone! i was not sure how the BS would take my fat post :p.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Also, not being a smartass or anything, but-
    Pork counts as a white meat? I didn't realize that. If so, my life just got a lot easier :drool:

Notice I put it at the END! :mamoru: It's the other white meat :p

I normaly drink sweet tea... ik ik... thats not that good for you but its gotta be better than rootbeer :)...

I think alot of my problem comes in with eating late at night before i get to bed and portion controle.

i was not sure how the BS would take my fat post :p.

/> Were from Louisiana dude, we ALL drink too much Sweet Tea :mamoru: However we now started making Green Tea and put less and less sugar as the weeks go by. Before you know it you'll be drinking it straight.

/> [Late night eating] is HARD to overcome. Keep the last or 2nd to last, meal of the day LOW on Carbs. Prepare for this snack craving later by having some Fruit or Raw Veggies available. Staying hydrated will also give you a full feeling. Get a craving, slam some water back. If need be throw down a Protein Shake. Just don't give in to the Bowl of Apple Jacks!
    [Portion Control] can be helped by SMALLER PLATES! Seriously portion control in the US is out of control. The happy meal today is what the full size meal used to be 30 years ago. Get SMALLER plates. 8” plates are big enough to fit a normal amount of food servings on.

/> How’d we take your fat topic? Dude we’ve been beating fat up in this thread for a while now. Folks come and go b/c weight loss and fitness is not for the faint of heart. It takes discipline and integrity. Most folks now days lack these two traits.

I’ve been in this thread for years now, if you got questions I’ve got answers. I’ve also got friends who’ll have the answers I don’t have :mamoru:

Cheers

Last edited:

stormrider54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dutchtown
    Blackboltss:

I admire your courage and strength in over coming your demons in life. Please keep us posted on how you are doing and how many lbs. you are.
    I wish I had some advice to give you but weight loss has become a problem for me at this time. Hopefully I'll find the road to success along with you.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Guys eating right and exercising is like a virus. It starts off slow and then as the pictures, measurements and scale start to swing your way it takes off and becomes an addiction. Before you know it fitness is now your lifestyle.

Think long term though. Not Buff and Bad in 90 days.

Think by the middle of the summer I’ll look better than I have for the past 10 years. Think by Christmas some folks might not recognize me. Think by next spring I might be a Machine!

;)

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Great Info Hitman.
    I'm sure many of the guys on this forum fall into the "I used to be in shape, but i'm now 50 pounds heaver and fat" category.
    I know I do.

+1 on Swimming. Your Joints will love you.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    alright, so im a week in and i think i am doing pretty good. I wake up eat 2 boiled eggs with a small amount of salt on it, lunch has been 1 slice of 100% whole wheat bread with whole grane mustard with eather turkey or tuna (from the can with just some mustard salt&pepper) with tomato, dinner has been fish (talipia) baked with some tonys and lemon and veggie oil to so it does not stick just on the bottom. with steamed veggies broccoli and cauliflower. Snacks inbetween meals is celery stick, cucumber, tomato, broccoli, cauliflower with some low fat ranch dip. i cut down the sugar i put in my sweet tea in half i will start using splenda after this sugar runs out and i have upped my water consumption. I am drinking about 1/2 gallon a day... i know it should be more :p... i have not really been eating after 7-8 and if i do its veggies and friut. I have been snacking on kiwi, orange, pares, and plums. I dont have a scale yet so im not really sure how the diet is going :p... i'll get one soon tho. I am feeling better with a lil more energy. nothing i really notice yet... but i know i gotta stick with it for a long time to see results. I should be getting an elliptical next month to add in exercise when im just watching TV at the house. any sugestions on helping me with my diet let me know... i am about to go cook some baked chicken brest with steamed veggies and potatos. anyone have some good recipes let me know... or any good cookbooks i should check out let me know.... i am going to go get the biggest loser cookbook soon :D I will take my measurements later tonight to see if there is any improvement

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    About the water thing. Continue what you are doing. It is good to drink water and stay hydrated properly, but starting on your new plan, you don't want to go straight to too much water and I disagree that a gallon a day is needed (that would be the liquid equivalent of 10 cans of soda). Excessive water consumption can leach your body of vitamins/minerals that you need to absorb like potassium and calcium which are necessary for regular heart beat and heart health. Stay the course you are on and don't stray. See your doctor (which I suspect you still do) and best wishes to you, Sir. :bravo:

An 8 pack of the small Low Sodium V8's are good to take care of some of the vitamin issues while going along your journey. They're not much more than a shot, but deliver big on some really digestible good stuff. I really wish you the best. You will get where you want to be.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Black don't worry about the scale dude. It's really not that important. Seriously.

I would go ahead and get a pocket tab or something you can start tracking your diet with. Diet tracking BY THE NUMBERS is VERY Important when starting out. If you like my advice, I can't stress this enough. A Diet log is VITAL for starters. It will bring to light a lot of things you never knew. It will help you see just how much you eat or don't eat. I use http://www.fitday.com/ It's VERY EASY to use and the graphs and charts tell you exactly how many vitamins and nutrients your are getting or not getting. I had been on a Fitness plan for a long time, found that site and started plugging in my Diet Log every time I ate. To include Water, Vitamins I took etc. Don't get caught on just adding food. It's EVRYTHING that you consume. Anyway after a week or so I looked at the page with all the vitamins listed and found I was lacking big time in Vitamin A and a couple other vitamins. So I adjusted my diet accordingly. It's a great FREE website.

I would keep a Daily log for NO LESS than 6 weeks to start. You will benefit from it GREATLY! I promise. After that you'll pretty much be able to keep up with your diet. Then later on if you fall in a slump where numbers aren't adding up and neither is the scale - BACK to the Diet Log and you'll get back on track.

Plus having a whole days worth of great food on there will help when you want a bowl of Corn Pops b/c you will NOT want to have to add that right next to the Turkey Breast with Veggies and sliced peaches. It just doesn't look right ;)

If you cheat, and you will, WRITE IT IN THE LOG!

Also remember, every Monday is the start of a new week. If you fall off the Diet/Fitness plan on the weekend, Screw it. You can start over MONDAY!

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    About the water thing. Continue what you are doing. It is good to drink water and stay hydrated properly, but starting on your new plan, you don't want to go straight to too much water and I disagree that a gallon a day is needed (that would be the liquid equivalent of 10 cans of soda). Excessive water consumption can leach your body of vitamins/minerals that you need to absorb like potassium and calcium which are necessary for regular heart beat and heart health. Stay the course you are on and don't stray. See your doctor (which I suspect you still do) and best wishes to you, Sir. :bravo:

An 8 pack of the small Low Sodium V8's are good to take care of some of the vitamin issues while going along your journey. They're not much more than a shot, but deliver big on some really digestible good stuff. I really wish you the best. You will get where you want to be.

For what you described to happen you would have to drink more like 2 gallons a day and SIT STILL ALL DAY LONG!
    Were talking about someone who is NOT sedentary in nature and has a fitness regime going. What you are referring to is very rare and usually happens when someone goes on a crash diet eating barely anything and only drinking water. I'm pretty sure that's not our friend Black ;)

Either way the good old urine color test is always a good factor.
    http://www.detrick.army.mil/ih/images/ehhot005.jpg
    1 = Good / 8 = Bad

V8 is ok if that's what you have to do, but they do carry 8+ grams of sugar per serving. Doesn't sound like much but it adds up quick. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom