So, I'm thinking about getting a CDL.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRitchieLCK

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, La
    I'm one of the unlucky many who have hit one of these narrow ass bridges. Whoever thought big trucks could navigate the bridge with maybe 6" on either side is an *******.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    If you go to school to get your cdl some companies will waive the 3 yr experience rule. I know Acme Truck Line does. Others as well.

As far as school options go to a Tech college. It'll save you a butt load of money and you'll get a lot more time behind the wheel than you will with a "Truck Driving School".

Like others have said, Get all the endorsements you can. And keep your nose clean even in your own vehicle because any ticket you get goes against your cdl.

yeh it seems that way. 16 days vs. 7 weeks. Though most people would rather get it done quick. Im only paying all together somewhere around $200-300 total for books and physical and what not.

Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    To be a good truck driver you must;

Enjoy being treated like a flaming idiot.
    Hate sleep.
    Hate holidays.
    Hate spending time with your family.
    Love getting hateful looks from ordinary drivers.
    Really really hate sleep.
    Get good at pretending to actually be an idiot because everyone expects you to be.
    Know a good divorce lawyer.
    Hate sleep.

And then after all these there are some bad things.

BRitchieLCK

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, La
    You probably saw me if you go down that way between 7am and 5pm.
    I flag down at site 6, where the big Link Belt crane, right before the second gas station. I look just like my picture.

Oh yeah I go down and pass by that bridge about 7:45 and leave the prison around 11:30. I drive the Blue Bell truck that all you guys look at like it has a necked woman on the side of it lol.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    We went to Angola for a big ATV ride late last summer. I remember one of our guys was ahead of me driving a Dodge dually with a tandem axel trailer laden with three four wheelers. Everytime we got to a bridge Id start falling back because he was pretty much dragging the fenders on the Jersey barriers.

St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    We went to Angola for a big ATV ride late last summer. I remember one of our guys was ahead of me driving a Dodge dually with a tandem axel trailer laden with three four wheelers. Everytime we got to a bridge Id start falling back because he was pretty much dragging the fenders on the Jersey barriers.

The funny thing is, we drive multiple pieces of equipment through those skinny little bridges, and a F650 and our 40ft trailer though there multiple times a day. We've only had a couple of people actually scrape the sides with any of that stuff.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    To be a good truck driver you must;

Enjoy being treated like a flaming idiot.
    Hate sleep.
    Hate holidays.
    Hate spending time with your family.
    Love getting hateful looks from ordinary drivers.
    Really really hate sleep.
    Get good at pretending to actually be an idiot because everyone expects you to be.
    Know a good divorce lawyer.
    Hate sleep.

And then after all these there are some bad things.

:bowrofl: :hi5: :bowrofl: You must haul oilfield equipment. Log books are for wusses. What 14 hr rule? :run: :dogkeke: You forgot to mention you have to Hate Sleep

Top Bottom