So is it "Gouging" if you tried to sell something at a cheaper price in the past

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    and nobody bought it because at the time they didn't think they needed it but now that the market has raised the price to sell it at the market price since more people decide they need it?

I listed ammo before at competitive prices and a lot of it didn't sell, some did. Well today I am watching ammo sell for twice or more than what I listed it for sale at and I am tempted to list it for sale. I make all the 9mm ammo I shoot, but I have thousands of rounds of factory 9mm ammo I could sell. It looks like the stores and private sellers are getting .40c a round for brass cased 9mm. I am paying higher prices for some items that I want now. Just curious what people thought. I keep my business products priced more than competitively, I am under the market, but personal items that are one time deals on items I don't know if I could replace are a different story. It sucks, we are going to have to change our shipping from $6 to $8 to cover increased costs, but still beating the 11.35 USPS charges to ship the same size package in a "Free" box. I think I am going to take ammo inventory tomorrow and put some items up for sale, mostly 9mm

Poorboy504

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Westbank/nola
    No....you wouldn't...would you? I see no problem selling your ammo for whatever price you are comfortable with. In fact, you are probably doing someone a favor by selling at all. There is no plinking 9mm on the shelves anywhere period. So put that ammo on the market and make a couple bucks for planning ahead. You will only get flamed if you sell it for 4 times the price it was pre-ban scare. Goodluck with the sale.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I had some extra new factory American made brass 9mm ammunition recently in 115gr., 124gr. and 147gr.
    Some BS members were in need and I let them have my reserves for what I had in it or less recently at 22c to 25c a round depending on the ammunition.
    It will now cost me more than the selling price when I need to replace my reserves but I am sure they enjoyed being able to shoot and compete.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    It's a free market do what you like. Before the scare I've run into some people on here that would lowball the hell out of me for something I had for sale. I'm an easy going guy and would work out a deal for them, sometimes less than what I had into it just to be the nice guy. Then 2 weeks later they put it up for $100 more than what they paid trying to make profit off of someone's nice guy deal. I've grown quite bitter over time people take every chance they can to screw you over so I say screw them. If you list anything at a decent price someone's going to buy it just to resell it for profit anyways. Why do they deserve the extra $$ so that you can be a nice guy?

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    Everyone is not like that. I know some people will do that and not think twice about it being wrong. It is a shame to see that happen and it hurts when it is done to you. It's all about trust and trying to help out a friend in need.
    That's why the prices have gone crazy like they are. People taking advantage of others to better themselves. And it's all over money. It is a shame.
    It's hard for me to understand how people can live this way. If I am buying something and get a good deal I am thankful that the person is trying to help me out. I try to do that same thing in return when I am selling. I know that doesn't always happen but I will never do it. Gives me peace of mind.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    If you sell at fair market value, who can argue with that? That's how it is.. When it was cheap, it was abundant and no one was buying it, that's how it goes.. Now there's a little panic buying and the price has gone up.. That's the breaks..

There's an old saying, those that mind don't matter, those that matter don't mind.. That's life.. Fair market value is what I say..

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If the manufacturers are raising prices, then I wouldn't mind. It's the people flipping everything to make a quick buck.

If you've had it laying around or honestly have no use for it, sell it. If you went to Academy at 8 am and bought all their stock, to flip it on a forum later. Then :madfawk:

If I wasn't going to buy a Hi-Point when they were $100, why would I buy one now for $1000? The polymer lowers for $500 and PMAG's for $100 each give me a good laugh though.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I guess it is just different perspectives. Personally I look at it like the metals market. None of this is a necessity, nobody is being forced to buy it. Just like anything else, you buy low and sell high. I'm betting this is a temporary scare while others are betting it is permanent. If the people I give somuch **** to for being crazy are right, I'm the one that got hosed and I doubt any of them will sell my stuff back to me for what I sold it to them.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    And why do we keep making threads about the same thing over and over?

Because some people retain some guilt about selling at market prices, due to all of the bashing about price gouging.

There is no such thing as price gouging-not even for staples, not even for food, water, or ice. That's not just me saying that, but economists saying that. For example, following a hurricane, power outages are widespread, and there is no ice for sale. Authorities make a big show about "we're going to go after the price gougers". If they hadn't said anything, or made threats, some free market ideologist may have driven 500 miles, rented a u-haul, bought a ton of ice and driven back down. Would anyone do that and sell it for $1/bag? Nope. Guess what? No ice.

Right now, threaten people with prosecution or persecution for price gouging, and there's no ammo or mags to be had. Expect people to sell for what they paid before the market exploded? Even though it will cost more later to replace it? Even though you don't know how long it will take to replace it? Then no ammo for you.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I put up some ammo for market price.

I would not normally sell it, but if someone wants to pay market price I will do him the favor of selling it him.

If nobody wants it I'll keep it, which was what I was going to do anyway before people started paying $1/round.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    And why do we keep making threads about the same thing over and over?

I was trying to get a thread with a neutral attitude, the other thread is currently slanted in one direction.

I have tons of Factory 9mm ammo but I no longer shoot factory ammo in 9mm. I have seen how people react to selling items at more than they cost 2 months ago, but I walk into retail stores and they are selling factory 9mm for $19 a box of 50 and selling out. I would be happy to sell most of my factory ammo, I would keep some around since I always bring a box with me to the range if something is going weird and I want to rule out the reloads. If I did not operate a business I wouldn't blink an eye, 1/2 my stash of everything would be GONE, but I do operate a business and am sensitive to potential customers opinions. In my business practices my prices are the same, even though every bullet that comes out of my machine is pre sold, I probably could get a lot more $$ for the bullets. I saw a hand made belt at the gun show Sunday, the maker was reading a book and seemed agitated that I wanted to look at the belt. The construction was 90% the same, looked like good quality leather (I would swear it was Hermann Oak) and the price was nearly twice as much. Theirs was $150 and mine are $80. I would rather sell 2 to 3 times more belts at $80 than only a couple at $150.

I was just seeing what people thought without a thread calling everyone gougers from the get go. I have sold friends and family items at pre crazy prices, hell I have GIVEN ammo away to help out a family member with his first pistol. My ammo can is always open at the range for whoever comes with me, sometimes they slip a few bucks in the box, but it is never asked for, time at the range with friends and family is priceless.

I actually tried to sell some 100 packs of Remington UMC 115g JHP for the Walmart price a few months ago and it wouldn't move, got a few low, low balls but It will be going back up for sale, along with some federal, blazer and whatever else I can find.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I was trying to get a thread with a neutral attitude, the other thread is currently slanted in one direction.

I have tons of Factory 9mm ammo but I no longer shoot factory ammo in 9mm. I have seen how people react to selling items at more than they cost 2 months ago, but I walk into retail stores and they are selling factory 9mm for $19 a box of 50 and selling out. I would be happy to sell most of my factory ammo, I would keep some around since I always bring a box with me to the range if something is going weird and I want to rule out the reloads. If I did not operate a business I wouldn't blink an eye, 1/2 my stash of everything would be GONE, but I do operate a business and am sensitive to potential customers opinions. In my business practices my prices are the same, even though every bullet that comes out of my machine is pre sold, I probably could get a lot more $$ for the bullets. I saw a hand made belt at the gun show Sunday, the maker was reading a book and seemed agitated that I wanted to look at the belt. The construction was 90% the same, looked like good quality leather (I would swear it was Hermann Oak) and the price was nearly twice as much. Theirs was $150 and mine are $80. I would rather sell 2 to 3 times more belts at $80 than only a couple at $150.

I was just seeing what people thought without a thread calling everyone gougers from the get go. I have sold friends and family items at pre crazy prices, hell I have GIVEN ammo away to help out a family member with his first pistol. My ammo can is always open at the range for whoever comes with me, sometimes they slip a few bucks in the box, but it is never asked for, time at the range with friends and family is priceless.

I actually tried to sell some 100 packs of Remington UMC 115g JHP for the Walmart price a few months ago and it wouldn't move, got a few low, low balls but It will be going back up for sale, along with some federal, blazer and whatever else I can find.

I've listed some stuff at market price. If people don't need it they can ignore it. The stuff I have sold has been to grateful individuals. It's just that simple.

Syntor

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    Slidell, LA
    IMHO.. I say list it on GunBroker or some other auction site and let the buyer dictate the price.. it's not gouging if the buyer states his price at auction and is willing to pay that price.. Set the bottom price (reserve) and let them have at...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ehatger1456
    Top Bottom