So slAKers.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I took a Saiga 223, had a friend mill the magwell and installed a MSA AR mag adapter in it. It ran great with wolf soft point, but when I fed any hard point or hollow points through it, the rounds on the left side of the mag would periodically hang on the side of the chamber. I took a good look at the chamber and realized it wasn't chamfered. It seems the early 223 Saigas don't need chamfering because the feed angle of the mags do all the work and line the rounds up perfectly. Not so much with an AR mag and adapter. The kick was that I had put almost 500 rounds of soft point through it (The only type of 223 ammo I had) and deemed it reliable. Turns out the soft point would hang on the side of the chamber but then because the tip was soft, it would deform and make its own "feed ramp" and go ahead and feed. The problem wasn't detected until I ran some "social ammo" through it and started to get FTFs. My dremel-fu is strong, but I pussied out when it cam time to grind on the chamber, so I just took it up to my gunsmith (Willis Arms) and let him do it.

Now it is just as reliable as any of my other AKs. I originally wanted an AK that would run AR mags to give me another resupply option during SHTF. The AR crowd says if SHTF and there are AR mags laying around, then there will be AR Rifles laying around as well. That may be true, but I wanted something that I could beat the hell out of and it would still run. As it turns out, the little woman shot it and fell in love with the lower recoil, so it got re-tasked as her go-to rifle.
    5490veeie6mejyflfwr7.jpg

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I took a Saiga 223, had a friend mill the magwell and installed a MSA AR mag adapter in it. It ran great with wolf soft point, but when I fed any hard point or hollow points through it, the rounds on the left side of the mag would periodically hang on the side of the chamber. I took a good look at the chamber and realized it wasn't chamfered. It seems the early 223 Saigas don't need chamfering because the feed angle of the mags do all the work and line the rounds up perfectly. Not so much with an AR mag and adapter. The kick was that I had put almost 500 rounds of soft point through it (The only type of 223 ammo I had) and deemed it reliable. Turns out the soft point would hang on the side of the chamber but then because the tip was soft, it would deform and make its own "feed ramp" and go ahead and feed. The problem wasn't detected until I ran some "social ammo" through it and started to get FTFs. My dremel-fu is strong, but I pussied out when it cam time to grind on the chamber, so I just took it up to my gunsmith (Willis Arms) and let him do it.

Now it is just as reliable as any of my other AKs. I originally wanted an AK that would run AR mags to give me another resupply option during SHTF. The AR crowd says if SHTF and there are AR mags laying around, then there will be AR Rifles laying around as well. That may be true, but I wanted something that I could beat the hell out of and it would still run. As it turns out, the little woman shot it and fell in love with the lower recoil, so it got re-tasked as her go-to rifle.
    5490veeie6mejyflfwr7.jpg
    Nice AK. The mag conversion is a good idea.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    A 74, G kit x3, Egyptian kit, virgin Krink x2. milled M70 on new receiver and one milled M70 reweld, milled RPK

Im almost done with all of them

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm down to my two favorites, my SGL-21 AK103 conversion and my RJF Bulgy 74. Been detaching myself from collectible guns and cleaning out the safe in favor of ammo and training. I don't see those two going anywhere though.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Organize a PIN shoot!! talk amongst yourselves,.........AK's only.....I feel like we need to do something even if it's really stupid,.....

Last edited:

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    This is THE AK section.Dont edit your self here.We aren't easaly offended or whiney like those other guys.

Ahh thanks, well this is what I had originally posted:

Sounds like kits to me.I aint never seen 3 assembled AKs not run in my life.:hi5:

*snickers* :hi5:

I'm waiting on some parts to come in from Black Horse Arsenal in Oregon to convert my 54r VEPR to a VEPRov. I was really hoping to have it finished before Thanksgiving to show off to my cousins in Georgia...but....it looks like that's not going to happen :wtc: Guess they'll have to wait till Christmas time to see it (if I can even get them in the same place again before the year is over).

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    Sounds like kits to me.I aint never seen 3 assembled AKs not run in my life.:hi5:

haha they sure are. i have a kyber pass build i want to do, a ak74s and a maadi. all i need is for nodak to put a little freakin pep in their step and get the receivers i ordered in september into my hands so i can get this moving. its killing me to see all of these kits just sitting there

Top Bottom