So the brake tag guy told my wife her windows are illegal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    If you get out towards Baton Rouge I will test it for you free of charge (pun intended)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Some parishes don't require window tint or emissions for stickers, could have lived in a diff parish also some cars come with factory tint inside the Windows( part of the factory window) with a legal tent sticker and people tint the window over that

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Some parishes don't require window tint or emissions for stickers, could have lived in a diff parish also some cars come with factory tint inside the Windows( part of the factory window) with a legal tent sticker and people tint the window over that

I'll look into the possibility that the previous owner may have added something on the outside, thanks. I'm going to dig out the paperwork and call the dealership to see what they'll do about it. Troop B is on the way out there, so I may take a side trip.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Not true the tint law is a La State law in Title 32 not a parish deal

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    You have to have a sticker for the parish in which you reside.

Not true.

If you live the 5 parishes that have the emission test you have to get it in one of those parishes. I live in EBR and have had mine inspected in Livingston for over 20 years.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Wife just got home, so I looked at the window. It's marked FoMoCo Carlite. That's OEM window from Ford. It's marked 70%transmission. The dealer I bought it from was also the original dealer for the first owner (I found all of his paperwork still in the car).

- - - Updated - - -

Bought it in Jefferson; live in Orleans.

Aftermarket tint is not marked. Factory tint is inside of the glass not a film like aftermarket.

RustyHammer

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    NOLA
    I had an inspector(in Orleans Parish) threaten me about not passing my vehicle once ... it was for the first inspection sticker on a brand new Ford Expedition with factory windows, etc. I got the sticker and he acted all ticked off because I didn't give him a "tip" for "doing me a favor and passing it". I found out a couple months later -- when I took my wife's car in -- that he was no longer working there. Go figure ...

Like already stated, take it to another inspector within the Parish.

Good luck!

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Having worked at a car lot that also sold used vehicles with ultra dark (2.5-5%) tint - feel free to go up there and yell. You'd be one of the many who do. Once you finish, get a razor blade and pull the tint off (if it bothers you that much) - you can remove the glue with lighter fluid. Avoid acetone or parts cleaner.

You'll appreciate the tint in 3 months, I personally wouldn't suggest pulling it off...

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    That's actually legal. The only restrictions are below that line on the windshield and the driver and front passenger windows.

That's not what I was told by a police officer that pulled me over. There's legal limits on all windows except trucks. So basically if you have a "passenger vehicle" your front has to be lighter than 40%, 25% for the rear and 12% of the rear windshield. With out tint below the as1 line on the front windshield. So trucks (with the license plates usually with 7 digits) can have the rear as dark as they want, my escalade does not count towards a "truck" but actually a 5 door wagon.

But when he pulled me over my rear was 8%, fronts metered 14% and he just smirked at me about my windshield....

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Hm. First I've heard of that, but you're likely right. Doesn't make sense to me, though, that you can get cargo vehicles with or without windows, even the little Ford car things, but you can't make the glass too dark if you opt for windows, or what difference it makes between a passenger truck and an SUV.

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    Had a guy in Northpark in St Tammany pull that. It's supposed to be was of by 5%. I have legal tint. I asked him to clean my window and test again. He took my money and put the sticker on my car... Unless you've got to go to kenner or Orleans parish find a different station. Guy at w. Napoleon and transcontinental doesn't even own a monitor I suspect.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Had a guy in Northpark in St Tammany pull that. It's supposed to be was of by 5%. I have legal tint. I asked him to clean my window and test again. He took my money and put the sticker on my car... Unless you've got to go to kenner or Orleans parish find a different station. Guy at w. Napoleon and transcontinental doesn't even own a monitor I suspect.

Another thing to put into consideration is that almost ALL glass has a slight tint to it. Even if your car isn't tinted, if you roll down your window usually you will notice a slight green hue to the edge and there will be a light transmittance difference between the atmosphere vs glass. So, say legal is 40% and you buy 40% tint, it WILL meter 33-35% due to the glass not being 100% "clear" b/c they are made to block UVA/UVB.

Honestly, the only real tint I've seen meter legally is 45-50% tint, which for aesthetics, does nothing. Almost looks like your car isn't tinted.

Also some people think the dark tint keeps your car cool, it's not necessarily true. Think about a black shirt, that's whats going to happen, the heat actually lingers on the surface heating your car up.

I've had dozens of different types of tint, from 3m, char-cool, silhoutte, hooper optic, lumnar, and madicos. And honestly, there isn't a single tint I've found that can out perform heat prevention than the Madicos Wincos. You can get it from 70-20% and doesn't matter which % you get, it rejects the most IR light over ALL the other tints.

Ceramic would come in second, with metallic 3, and honestly the cheap ink based tint that you can find from 100-200 bucks for a car, sucks.... Poor performance, poor adhesives, and just really hinders your visibility.

For anyone wanting to see the performance of wincos, you are more than welcome to come by my place of work, in which my car has been sitting in direct sun all day, and I'll unlock the door for you to jump in and see the difference. I can literally jump in on a 90+ degree summer day, and it'll be just warm inside, and will cool within a minute or two with the AC on.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    32:361.1

§361.1. View outward or inward through windshield or windows; obscuring prohibited
    A. As used in this Section and regulations applicable thereto, the following terms shall have the following meanings, unless the context of use clearly indicates otherwise:
    (1) "Sun screening device" means a film material or device that is designed to be used in conjunction with motor vehicle safety glazing materials for reducing the effects of the sun.
    (2) "Light transmission" means the ratio of the amount of total light to pass through the product or material, including any glazing material, to the amount of total light falling on the product or material and the glazing.
    (3) "Luminous reflectance" means the ratio of the amount of total light that is reflected outward by the product or material to the amount of total light falling on the product or material.
    (4) "Manufacturer" means a person who engages in the manufacture or assembly of a vehicle sun screening device, or who fabricates, laminates, or tempers a safety glazing material, incorporating, during the manufacturing process, the capacity to reflect or reduce the transmission of light.
    (5) "Installer" means any person or company who affixes, places, fastens, or secures any sun screening device to any windshield or window of a motor vehicle in Louisiana.
    (6) "Seller" means any person or company who transfers in the contract of sale any sun screening device for windshields or windows of motor vehicles in Louisiana.
    (7) "Distributor" means any person or company who markets, delivers, or distributes any sun screening device for motor vehicles in Louisiana.
    B. Except as provided by R.S. 32:361.1(C), no person may operate a motor vehicle with any object or material placed on or affixed to the front windshield or to front side windows of the vehicle so as to obstruct or reduce the driver's clear view through the front windshield or front side windows, nor place on or affix to the front windshield or the front side windows of a motor vehicle, any transparent material if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmission of the windshield or front side windows.
    C. The provisions of this Section do not apply to any of the following:
    (1) A sun screening device when used in conjunction with automotive safety glazing materials on the front side window, with a light transmission of at least forty percent, all tolerances included, side window behind the driver with a light transmission of at least twenty-five percent, all tolerances included, and rearmost windows with a light transmission of at least twelve percent, all tolerances included. All sun screening devices shall not have a luminous reflectance of more than twenty percent.
    (2) A transparent material, not red or amber in color, affixed to the topmost portion of the windshield not to extend more than five inches down from the top.
    (3) An adjustable nontransparent sun visor mounted forward of the side windows and not attached to the glass.
    (4) Publicly owned law enforcement vehicles other than those vehicles owned or used by the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.
    D.(1) Each manufacturer shall certify to the Department of Public Safety and Corrections, office of motor vehicles, by independent test laboratory data, that a sun screening device marketed in this state is in compliance with the luminous reflectance and transmittance requirements of this Section.
    (2) Each installer shall provide a label not to exceed one and one-half square inches in size, with a means for the permanent and legible installation between the sun screening material and each glazing surface to which it is applied, which contains the installer's name and city where the business is located.
    (3) The person placing the material on the glazing surface shall affix the label to the lower right corner of the driver's side window.
    (4) The light transmittance requirement of this Section does not apply to windows behind the driver on trucks, busses, trailers, motor homes, multipurpose passenger vehicles, and all windows on vehicles used for law enforcement purposes and tinted in accordance with the provisions of this Section.
    E. Except as provided in Subsections G and H of this Section, anyone who operates a motor vehicle registered in this state in violation of the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than one hundred fifty dollars for a first offense, not more than two hundred fifty dollars for a second offense, and not more than three hundred fifty dollars for a third or subsequent offense.
    F. Except as provided in Subsections G and H of this Section, anyone who violates the provisions of this, or any rules or regulations applicable thereto shall be fined in accordance with the provisions of R.S. 32:57.
    G. Any seller, installer, manufacturer, or distributor of a sun screening device who violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined one thousand dollars for a first offense, two thousand dollars for a second offense, and shall be prohibited from conducting any business specified in this Section upon conviction for a third or subsequent offense.
    H. The provisions of this Section shall apply to all vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1994, unless exempted in accordance with R.S. 32:361.1.
    I. All vehicles that have windows tinted on or before December 31, 1993, in compliance with then existing provisions of law are exempt from the provisions of this Section, provided that a certificate is obtained by the owner, operator, or licensee certifying that the tinting was done prior to January 1, 1994. The office of motor vehicles shall adopt rules, regulations, and a form for proof of prior tinting in accordance with provisions of this Subsection. The certificate must be present in the vehicle at all times when being operated and presented upon demand by a law enforcement officer.
    J. The provisions of this Section apply to any other vehicles not included in Subsections H and I of this Section on and after January 1, 1994.
    Acts 1983, No. 209, §1; Acts 1986, No. 525, §1; Acts 1989, No. 275, §1, Acts 1989, No. 663, §1; Acts 1992, No. 201, §1; Acts 1993, No. 519, §1; Acts 2006, No. 459, §1.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    pnm3rk5bvfkj34cbky6b.jpg

Top Bottom