So, thinking about joining the police force...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Well, I've decided that I'm interested in becoming a LEO. Mostly interested in LSP, but that's not really the point. I'd like to get some info from current officers pertaining to what life is like as an officer? What goes on in your day-to-day lives? Are you able to spend a good amount of time with your family? How often are you called up in the middle of the night? Is the pay enough to support a family of 3? I'm not so much worried about the physical fitness standards, honestly. I looked at the phys reqs for LSP and I easily surpassed the minimums before I joined the military. Anyway, any information, whether requested here or not, about the life and career of a law enforcement officer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    No way I can put forth the sacrifice now with 3 children. If I started that way maybe so, but not now.

Plus I'm a bit spoiled to Working 5 days a week and off every weekend and holidays.

I am glad however that there is hard chargers out there doing the LEO deed.

Law1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Good luck getting hired with LSP right now. They haven't had an academy in about 3 years, and there are none planned for the immediate future. When they do finally have another academy the applicant pool will probably be pretty large.

As far as day to day, LSP pretty much writes tickets, works crashes, and arrests drunks. The pay isn't great, but there are lots of overtime/detail pay opportunities.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Good luck getting hired with LSP right now. They haven't had an academy in about 3 years, and there are none planned for the immediate future. When they do finally have another academy the applicant pool will probably be pretty large.

Yea I think this is the last publication on the Homepage of LSP right now.
    http://www.lsp.org/lspnewsr.nsf/db1...ebbd3045aa2096348625768e007de9a4?OpenDocument

Headquarters- Press Release

December 16, 2009
    Louisiana State Police Postpones Scheduled Cadet Class

Baton Rouge – The Louisiana State Police has postponed the Cadet Training Academy class which was scheduled for February 28, 2010. The academy was set to fill approximately 40 trooper positions vacated through attrition. Over 700 applications were accepted to fill the 40 vacancies with 249 persons successfully completing background requirements and the interview process. The postponement was prompted by a mid-year budget reduction imposed on all agencies within Public Safety Services.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Jeez...wonder when the next will end up being, then. That kind of sucks. Does anyone know of any departments in the EBR parish/Livingston Parish area that are currently recruiting?

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    Apply everywhere. You should definately consider going reserve or working jail if you can't find anyone hiring for the road. They like to see experience. I am reserve for Gonzales and love it.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Have you taken the civil service test? If not, then you might want to find where the next one is being held.

Pigfish73

Brass Junkie!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Deano you should definitely try some ride alongs or become a reserve first. If you're still interested after that, then apply wherever you can. Some agencies give hiring preferences to reserves first.
    A family of 3 on a new officer's salary could be real tight. I started out as a Sheriff's Deputy and the insurance through the LA Sheriff's Association is great. The salary, however, is not! Even with a college degree. Plan on working at least 2 weekends a month as a new officer.
    I was in the group of LSP applicants that got cut short of the academy. We are still on hold! Hahaha! LSP is in a real bind for new troopers, but their budget will not allow for another academy. If you had your hopes on being a state police officer, check out TX, MS, AL, and FLA. All of them have good agencies that are hiring.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Deano you should definitely try some ride alongs or become a reserve first. If you're still interested after that, then apply wherever you can.
    This. I considered LE and got POST qualified as an Auxillary so I could see the job first hand. Broke up a fight one day outside of a movie theater with a Reserve Deputy who happened to work for DOC. He mentioned the state prisons were hiring so I applied and went Corrections instead of PD. Glad I did. Try it out first then see if you want to commit to it as a career.

Top Bottom