So what do you eat with gall stones?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    Well I spent about 11 hours in the hospital today. It started with the most extreme pain I've ever had, an ambulance ride to the hospital, and come to find out I have kidney stones AND gall stones.

So now I can't drink colas, or eat foods which are Fried, Greasy, Fatty, or Rich.

OK... we're in Louisiana... what is NOT Fried, greasy fatty or rich??? This cuts out 99% of fast food (which is admittedly a good thing) but wow, it seems severely limiting and almost like losing the ability to eat basically, anything good.

So you fellow BSers out there, if you've had these issues - what do you eat?

What a day...

Swami

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The same thing happened to me 30 years ago and after the third attack like yours I had my gallbladder removed.

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Ditto; i've been through a lot of pain in my days but a gallstone attack was by far the worst. got me an ambulance ride from work one night. that was last year and Dr. said you may never have another attack, then bam, almost a year to the date happened again. that was last january, going to see if it happens again then i'll have it taken out. i like to keep as many parts as i can! as far as food goes i normally don't eat much fried food or fast food, one coke a day is my limit sometimes i dont have any. other than that i just eat a good home cooked meal, and sushi !

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    My wife had this 15 year's ago, all she could eat was rice pilaf. This was the most bland diet my wife ever had to be on. Once she had the gall bladder removed, she was better, but still had phantom attacks for awhile though. Good luck.

Bam Bam

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My wife eats Oatmeal, Cheerios, Yogurt.... and sometimes that stuff gives here stomach problems. Be careful, one doctor sent her home, another using the same scans as the first doctor brought her into immediate surgery, turned out her Gall Bladder was burst and gangrenous.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    cunk7yz3khhwn6k8zxu.jpg

Pffffffffffft.

I've passed so many kidney stones in the last 20 years, I can't even count them. For the last several years, at least weekly. I don't even know I'm passing one now, until it turns up in the bowl.

I eat whatever I d@mn well please.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Take it out. Take it out! Take it out!

Mine's gone. My diet is primarily baked chicken / fish, no red meat, lots of greens and fruits. Occasionally I'll have something greasy, but I don't make it a regular thing. Kind of like once a month. If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    One thing to remember, most all of the folks i know of that have had it removed, wind up with the eternal trots.
    I personally would improve my diet...
    what's the harm in putting things into your body that are good for you?
    Loss of weight? Lower cholesterol? Better blood sugar regulation?

Ashley

Mrs. Ferrara
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you can try to save it, do it! Unless it's not doing your body any good, take it out. I have been on some probiotics, proactive enzymes and hi lipase since I've had mine taken out. That would definitely help with the discomfort. GoOd Luck!! Your body will just adjust to whatever you eat

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    :rofl:

I spent 8 hours in ER for the first one. Took 4 injections of morphine in 45 minutes and still hurt like hell. They said any more and I'd die from overdose. I said I'd take the chance. So they gave me a sedative, and the narcotic finally kicked in.

Ask women who've had children and kidney stones. Most will say they prefer childbirth.

I altered diet, lifestyle, etc. To no avail. Still got them. There are different kinds. Guess I'm just lucky. But why shake everything up for no benefit?

Good luck Swami. Dehydration plays a big part in many cases of kidney stones. Plenty of water helps flush the kidneys.

Last edited:

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    Thanks for all the replies... my emergency room visit was far from helpful or relaxing, and I never got any type of pain killer for this. I just had to wait it out, basically - and they refused me a stretcher, also. Bad choice of hospitals, I guess.

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Kidney stones don't give a **** what you eat. GALL stones will bust your butt if you eat fried foods, foods with red sauces, Oily substances like salad dressing. When you have a real gall bladder attack and its sort of mimicking a heart attack you will be scared into eating differently.
    cunk7yz3khhwn6k8zxu.jpg

Pffffffffffft.

I've passed so many kidney stones in the last 20 years, I can't even count them. For the last several years, at least weekly. I don't even know I'm passing one now, until it turns up in the bowl.

I eat whatever I d@mn well please.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I had a gallstone attack and went to the emergency room. I had no idea what it was causing the pain and thought I would be dead due to heart attack before I got to the ER. (seriously)

They gave me pain killers and something that caused the pain to die down. I had mine removed shortly thereafter. It was a good thing to get it removed.

Top Bottom