So who all works for refineries / chem plants?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longdude17

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Well guys, Im a new engineer at DOW (been there 1month) and im curious how many other people here make there living working inside the gate of chem plants and refineries...if so where at, what do you do, and how do you like it?

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    Former industrial electrician for MERIT Electrical now I'm gettin my edumacaton . Did work in most of the plants around here. Spent a lot of time at Motiva, SNF Flopam, Olin, BASF, Seabagagi, and half the rest of the plants in town. And for some reason I don't miss FRC's one bit.

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    2 yr process tech course is almost a standard now to get hired at least in my plant when they are hiring in small numbers. you usually need a sponsor.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Retired Millwright who worked on rotating equipment in Paper Mills, Auto Assembly Plants, Nuclear Plants, Coal fired and Gas fired Power Plants, Carbon Black Plant, Camera Plant, Chemical Plants, Refineries, Tobacco Plants, Seagoing Ships, etc. I worked in La., other states and overseas. Due to health issues I now sit around with my hound dog and occasionally shoot my pistol or enhance Glocks.

Last edited:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Albemarle, just over a year now, since getting out of the oil field.

To get into my plant, well, it's all politics. I was lucky enough to have good friends in the right places.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Motiva Convent 29 yrs 7mos Started as an operator retired as a shift supervisor, went to Murphy as a shift supervisor, we got bought out by Valero Oct 1st so now I'm a shift supervisor for Valero. Love my job.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I work for Entergy , and go into most of the plants from Baton Rouge to St. Gabriel to Plaquemine . I don't know how you guys do it . I'm always so glad to get the hell out of there . I have to have site specific orientation for about 8 different plants and spend a lot of time at that damn Safety Council trying to stay current .

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    whats a fella gotta do to get a job at one of these plants!?!

...besides apply obviously....
    Nunez Community College in Chalmette has an excellent process operator course, that is close to you. We normally hire about 12 of their grads a year. Then send them back for a few weeks when we hire them to be more specific to our plant.

Top Bottom