Socom 16 and Optics Questionisms

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    I am finally able to wrap my paws around a Socom 16 (brand new and took ownership yesterday)

My problem is that I wish to put some sort of red dot optic onto the rifle (Aimpoint, EoTech or even an Acog one day), but the optic sits too high up, much much higher than the steel sights.

I would like to something much lower to the the barrel, maybe a different mount for the Aimpoint. I've determined that the EoTech site too high for my tastes. And I'd rather not add a cheek rest to match the higher optics. (as a matter of fact, a cheek rest is out of the question, as I would like to keep the Socom 16 in it's simplest variation).

What other options do I have?

Thanks
    Francis

Secret Squirrel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    BAFB
    Hello,

Google "socom 16 red dot optic m14forum.com" a lot of good info and some great folks.

This site has all the optic info with pics you'll need to get a good set up.

Enjoy that SOCOM 16 I love mine!

Squirrel

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    upon further readings, the UltiMAK rail would probably be my best bet, though the biggest drawback is the added heating of the entire rail. I don't have much of a preference for the rail covering so much territory nor do i have a need for such lengthy railing. I would like to keep the Socom as OEM as possible.

the Hopco mount's biggest drawback is that it's not picatinny, and will only accept a designated red dot sight. The lack of versatility isn't a huge deal breaker ... i guess i'll stew on this decision and hope i make the best decision possible (aka overthink everything!)

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Congrats on the SOCOM. Did you buy a complete rifle or just the upper? I have been going back and forth between it and the .450 Bushmaster. Where did you find the SOCOM and how much was it.
    Bushmaster is a 9-12 month wait and can buy direct for $775.00 as of yesterday.

Just re read your post. Are you talking about a .458 SOCOM for the AR platform or The Springfield SOCOM .308?

Last edited:

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    Congrats on the SOCOM. Did you buy a complete rifle or just the upper? I have been going back and forth between it and the .450 Bushmaster. Where did you find the SOCOM and how much was it.
    Bushmaster is a 9-12 month wait and can buy direct for $775.00 as of yesterday.

Just re read your post. Are you talking about a .458 SOCOM for the AR platform or The Springfield SOCOM .308?

The Springfield Socom 16 .308 actually... sorry for the confusion.
    Though, I wouldn't mind having a .458 SOCOM lol

Top Bottom