Solar Panels

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seven-up

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2007
    Franklinton, LA
    I just got through putting in a solar PV system, and I'm having a difficult time finding a homeowner's policy that covers these at a reasonable rate. Has anyone else put in solar? If so, who do you have your homeowner's with? Any information is much appreciated.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Your issues are going to be whether the panels have increased the value of your home and if you are in an area where wind damage is already an excepted casualty or carries a high deductable. The few homeowners I know that have the panels said there is a hail damage exception or they have had to add additional coverage. They did say they had contacted their agents before installation so they knew of the issues.

seven-up

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2007
    Franklinton, LA
    My current policy covers the solar panels however there is an exception for wind damage and hail damage. I'm currently paying $1200 a year for homeowners. The other quotes that I have received so far, which include hail and wind coverage for solar panels, are in the 2500 - 3000 range. There are a few other quotes which I am to receive tomorrow. I’ll see how those go.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I just got through putting in a solar PV system, and I'm having a difficult time finding a homeowner's policy that covers these at a reasonable rate. Has anyone else put in solar? If so, who do you have your homeowner's with? Any information is much appreciated.

I have no experience with solar, but I am interested in your experience. Is your whole house powered, or just certain necessities? How does the power inversion work with the battery/panel/AC-DC electronics?

seven-up

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2007
    Franklinton, LA
    I have no experience with solar, but I am interested in your experience. Is your whole house powered, or just certain necessities? How does the power inversion work with the battery/panel/AC-DC electronics?

This system should be able to cover most of my electric bill every month. It is a 8.6 kw system which was installed in my backyard. It is a grid-tied system, therefore no batteries are involved. It makes electricity during the day which makes the meter spin backwards. And the and whenever I use electricity it spins forward like it does normally. The inverter seems to work fairly well. It is located directly underneath the solar panels.

I put together some youtube videos of the installation... Just haven't put together the last video of the completed project. Here is a link to the last video I've put together....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKiDltNxTkw

seven-up

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2007
    Franklinton, LA
    It got turned on Saturday afternoon. Since that time, it has genned about 110 KWH. I hope that it gets a little better, as we have had a lot of cloudy days recently....

diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    an 8.6 kw system would put out a little over 1000kw per month. thats about 2/3rds of my bill on avg. what did you pay for the system?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    This system should be able to cover most of my electric bill every month. It is a 8.6 kw system which was installed in my backyard. It is a grid-tied system, therefore no batteries are involved. It makes electricity during the day which makes the meter spin backwards. And the and whenever I use electricity it spins forward like it does normally. The inverter seems to work fairly well. It is located directly underneath the solar panels.

I put together some youtube videos of the installation... Just haven't put together the last video of the completed project. Here is a link to the last video I've put together....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKiDltNxTkw

Thank-you!

I assume that the battery would be...up-stream...from the inverter, were you not tied into the grid?

If I may pry, how much did it cost? PM if you want. It's something I am considering when I build, but I guess in the next 3-4 years it should only get cheaper. Not planning on building just yet.

seven-up

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2007
    Franklinton, LA
    Top Bottom