sold please remove

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Please reply by conversation.

Wheels

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Slidell
    sold please remove

Attachments

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      232.4 KB · Views: 172
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      226.8 KB · Views: 94
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      199.9 KB · Views: 105
    Last edited:

Texasflyboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Nice gun but can buy brand new for less..

Actually, I don't think you can. You probably were thinking "Hey, I can go buy a brand new 686 Smith and Wesson Revolver at my local gunstore for less that what this one is selling for." However, what he has is a pre-lock Smith & Wesson Model 686-1 (dash one) which is a fairly early model of the 686 (1986 to 1987). The "M" stamp on the crane indicates a return to the factory for an update. -1 (1986): radius stud package, introduction of the floating hand. The "M" recall (1987) for the no-dash and -1 guns was to fit a new hammer nose and firing pin bushing to deal with certain brands of ammo causing (potentially fatal) binding when fired.

You can certainly buy a new Smith & Wesson for less. It will have the internal lock, MIM parts, and the second you walk out of the gunstore it will depreciate about 25% in value.

On the other hand, that 686-1 is always going to go up in value because it was only made for one year, and they ain't making any more. And it has every desirable feature that a Smith & Wesson Collector wants: Low production (rarity), No lock, and classic S&W engineering.

FWIW.

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Actually, I don't think you can. You probably were thinking "Hey, I can go buy a brand new 686 Smith and Wesson Revolver at my local gunstore for less that what this one is selling for." However, what he has is a pre-lock Smith & Wesson Model 686-1 (dash one) which is a fairly early model of the 686 (1986 to 1987). The "M" stamp on the crane indicates a return to the factory for an update. -1 (1986): radius stud package, introduction of the floating hand. The "M" recall (1987) for the no-dash and -1 guns was to fit a new hammer nose and firing pin bushing to deal with certain brands of ammo causing (potentially fatal) binding when fired.

You can certainly buy a new Smith & Wesson for less. It will have the internal lock, MIM parts, and the second you walk out of the gunstore it will depreciate about 25% in value.

On the other hand, that 686-1 is always going to go up in value because it was only made for one year, and they ain't making any more. Any it has every desirable feature that a Smith & Wesson Collector wants: Low production (rarity), No lock, and classic S&W engineering.

FWIW.

Well put. I agree. My 686 is a -5. I bought it in 1999.

Stupid question: Does the dash five identify the barrel length or just the chassis?

It's the sweetest shooting gun I own.
    :bigok:

smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana

On the other hand, that 686-1 is always going to go up in value because it was only made for one year, and they ain't making any more. Any it has every desirable feature that a Smith & Wesson Collector wants: Low production (rarity), No lock, and classic S&W engineering.

FWIW.
    All true

lowriderfxr

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Lake Charles
    Well put. I agree. My 686 is a -5. I bought it in 1999.

Stupid question: Does the dash five identify the barrel length or just the chassis?

It's the sweetest shooting gun I own.
    :bigok:

I'll give you the Reader's Digest version.

When Smith & Wesson makes a revolver the first one is just the model number (example 686). Each design or engineering change gets a - number. For examplee when they changed the hammer nose to correct the problem they were having with primers in magums, it became the 686-1. MIM parts were another change etc. There are rare exceptions such as 25-2 was 45acp and 25-5 was 45 Colt, but this is a good rule of thumb.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Remember, the -1 introduced that miserable floating hand.

Double check to see if the yoke is stamped with a 'CS-1' anywhere.

This was a limited edition made in 1988 for the Customs Service.
    It has a round butt, 3 inch barrel and a darker brushed finish... It's also made to tighter tolerances than usual.
    My understanding is that 3000 were made, and Janet Reno had 1,500 of these destroyed.

Hey... it could be your lucky day. If so, don't argue too much about the price. ;-)

Last edited:

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    Always thought this was an interesting little factoid... the 'rule of thumb' is a reference to the Puritan practice of never beating your wife with a stick that was thicker than the thickness of the man's thumb

for you it should be rule of wrist

tumblr_l6d1kyab3D1qd1fjko1_500.png

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom