SOLD: Russian SKS by Tula

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Please reply by conversation.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    This is a Russian SKS I purchased late last year. The friend I purchased it from bought it in 1994. My friend was a collector who bought a lot of guns as the Clinton AWB was going into effect. I assume this was for investment purposes as most were unfired or never left the safe. Since purchasing this gun I have not fired it. I’m not comfortable shooting a rifle this nice which is why I am selling it. The rifle was apparently arsenal refinished as the bolt is black. The top of the receiver cover says 1951 and appears to have the Tula logo on top. All numbers appear to match on the receiver, bolt, stock, trigger guard and magazine.

My selling price is $500 firm, cash, FTF in the Baton Rouge area. I'm available to meet most evenings and can meet at Bass Pro or Cabela's for those outside of the BR. Not really looking for trades but if you have something to trade feel free to offer. Click on the thumbnail pictures to see the full resolution image for greater detail.

I’ll try and answer any questions to the best of my ability. You can contact me by PM or my username @ bayoushooter.com.

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    For those that are interested in details here's some information I found in an archived page. It tells you how to determine if and what parts of a Russian SKS have been refurbished. I took the rifle down and made notes on this rifle which I have put in bold text.

OVERVIEW: Fundamentally, there is NO significant difference in a rearsenaled Russian SKS and pristine one. As a matter of fact, most times if the rifle didn't have the rework stamp on it, it would be extremely difficult to determine if it was overhauled or not. Russian SKS quality is top notch, so even a surplus Russian SKS is better than most brand new unfired Chinese SKS's. If the Russians thought it was necessary to rework the rifle, then most likely the rifle needed it. The process usually included a new barrel, buffing the scratches out of the metal, reinforcing the wrist of the stock and re-bluing. The following is a guide to aid in determining if a Russian SKS has been refurbished by Russian technicians.

Look closely at the metal, the finish and any markings on the rifle. If any of the following items are present, the rifle has been rearsenaled:

METAL / WOOD:
    If the rifle is blued and the metal edges are NOT crisp but slightly rounded then the rifle has been reworked.
    When metal is stamped, it slightly raises the edges of the mark. If the markings have no slight lip, then the metal has probably been buffed in the rework process.
    If the stock is NOT laminated and has one cross bolt by the forward finger grooves, it's probably original. Replacement stocks also have a second cross-bolt behind the trigger group. Hardwood SKS stocks are prone to cracking at the wrist of the stock. A great percentage of Romanian SKS's have this wrist pin AND a cracked stock. Too little too late. The softwood Chinese SKS will not have this cracking problem as the wood is much more forgiving, but the rifle may become slightly loose in the stock as it slowly wallows out.

The stock is not laminated and it has one cross bolt. There are four 1/8" marks on the bottom of the stock behind the trigger guard but they do not appear to be metal as a magnet does not attract to them. They are under the varnish. This may be the wrist reinforcement but I really don't know.

FINISH:
    If the finish is NOT blued, but parkerized or dark grey, the rifle has been reworked.
    If an electro-pencil has been used to number any parts, such as the bottom of the gas tube, there should be bright bare metal or slightly rusted metal showing. If the numbers are blued then it has been reworked.
    Laminated stocks are NOT original, but a 1950's replacement.
    Original Russian SKS's had shiny bolt carriers, bolt parts, and bayonets. If you have a blued, black, or parkerized bolt carrier, it has been refinished or replaced at one time. My best guess is that darkening the bolt was an afterthought meant to suppress unwanted reflection. Nothing will give away a camouflaged soldier's position away faster than sunlight being reflected in the enemy's eyes off a shiny polished bolt carrier...

The rifle is blued (black, not grey). The bottom of the gas tube has been electropenciled and it is bright. The bolt carrier is black as is the bolt assembly with the exception of the extractor which is grey with an electropenciled number. The bayonet is obviously the original silver. The gas piston has an electropenciled number on the bottom. The gas piston looks brand new which makes me think it was not fired by the previous owner either.

MARKINGS:

The technicians marked the rifles they refurbished. The marking was a diamond or a box with a diagonal line through it. This mark is usually found either on the stock or the lug that hangs down from the receiver cover.
    If any serial numbers have been "X"ed out and new numbers stamped near the originals, then the rifle is a referb.

I see no "X"d out numbers but the bolt carrier and the stock have the square with the diagonal line through it.

For shooters, I can't stress enough how little it means to have a refurbished Russian SKS. If anything, they made a well used rifle into something as good as, if not better than, new.

It is the nature of serious collectors to value pristine examples of firearms. Only a perfect example of any rifle is worth collecting because they are the best, most accurate representation of the era. It's common sense to assume the rarity of the specimen will increase the value of it proportionately. Since Russian SKS's were heavily used for ceremonial purposes and "loaners" to third world communist countries, it's uncommon to find one that has never been rearsenaled.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom