Solvent traps

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Sort of my point, it ridiculous.
    Let's say you want to make want to make a new shoe. You go through the trouble of verifying with Nike, Addidas, etc., and receive letters stating there's no patent infringement. Nike comes back later and claims there is. What happens? Seize and desist? Brought into court?
    Just sounds like BS that the guy got verification to operate his business and then got the shaft without any trial. How anyone can conduct business in the firearms industry outside of normal retail sales is beyond me.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Apparently the guy had a letter from the ATF approving his product.

It wouldn't be the first time the BATFE has changed their mind. They did it with the Sig Brace. The vet who designed it originally was awarded BATFE approval (the letter is out there if you search it).

Then they changed/modified their ruling many months later and said if you shoulder fire an AR15 pistol with a Sig Brace attached, you were in violation of federal law. SBR violation. Sig Brace demand and price subsequently tumbled.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/no-shouldered-sig-braces/

Here is a really good descriptive article on the rise and fall of the Sig Brace.

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/grand-view-outdoors/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-sb-15-sig-brace/

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    It wouldn't be the first time the BATFE has changed their mind. They did it with the Sig Brace. The vet who designed it originally was awarded BATFE approval (the letter is out there if you search it).

Then they changed/modified their ruling many months later and said if you shoulder fire an AR15 pistol with a Sig Brace attached, you were in violation of federal law. SBR violation. Sig Brace demand and price subsequently tumbled.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/no-shouldered-sig-braces/

Here is a really good descriptive article on the rise and fall of the Sig Brace.

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/grand-view-outdoors/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-sb-15-sig-brace/
    Only illegal if you shoulder the weapon...

They crazy. That's like saying smoking marijuana is only illegal if you inhale.
    I'm amazed at how many if the people that work for the ABC agencies of the federal government are ......cognitively challenged? Wait, developmentally.....

Ok, retarded. I just can't learn To speak PC y'all.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I agree that this whole thing is stupid, but this guy is screwed. I don't know what his letter said but when it comes to silencer parts, it is different than ANYTHING else because of the clause in the law about silencer parts.

18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24):
    The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Now, based on what I've heard, with your solvent trap you also received a form 1, instructions on filling it out, instructions on drilling, drill bits, and drill guides.

At that point I think it becomes almost impossible to continue to claim it is a solvent trap that is not intended to be converted to a suppressor.

Filing the Form 1 (or not) that was furnished with the parts expressly "intended for use use in fabricating a firearm silencer" doesn't matter. Those unfinished parts (that were expressly for use in fabricating a silencer) are a silencer under the letter of the law. They are not charged with "intent" to break the law, intent is simply one of the elements to be proven.

Is the law dumb? Sure. But it is the law and it is clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Now, based on what I've heard, with your solvent trap you also received a form 1, instructions on filling it out, instructions on drilling, drill bits, and drill guides.
    Aww, man. He done messed up. Where's the 2nd Amendment Coalition on this?
    Lemme guess...
    "Getting the ATF to back off on solvent traps isn't good for my business, so IDGAF"

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    I am really stunned that an attorney would base his comments and analysis on "what I heard" versus first person visual evidence, experiences, or facts.

But I guess attorneys come in many flavors.....some good and some not so good. Sort of like solvent traps.

He's not giving you legal advice, he's posting on a gun forum.
    Did you get your jimmies rustled when he corrected you on the word silencer?? It's no big deal, bro. Let that ish go.
    zgkWGEP.jpg

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA

Great Video on this topic.
    Jump to 6:40 for info on possessing solvent traps and jigs without an approved Form 1.

IF they were shipping the kit with drill guides that could be the issue.

Last edited:

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.

Great Video on this topic.
    Jump to 6:40 for info on possessing solvent traps and jigs without an approved Form 1.

IF they were shipping the kit with drill guides that could be the issue.

Great video. Adam is a friend of mine and on point as usual.

While I totally agree with you that shipping with drill guides is yet another nail in the coffin (as are the comments and pictures and discussions of Form 1s on some of these sites), these guys are all in deep **** without them.

A look at any of these sites reveals what the thinly veiled intent is. Do you honestly think anyone is buying these as solvent traps? Why would solvent traps need several sealed chambers inside that you can't access?

I don't like the way the law is written or ATF's enforcement of it, however those who try and make arguments that these knock down kits are only intended to be built as "solvent traps" and therefore legal are intellectually dishonest.

I wish you could buy silencer parts. You cannot legally do so.

I wish there was such a thing as an 80% silencer. The current law makes that impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom