Some high speed camera video

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Got to play with the high speed camera today. First of all, this high speed stuff is not easy. You got just a few seconds window to get the shot, it needs massive amounts of light, and then will overheat spontaneously. And the lens it came with sucks.

I plan to rent a better lens next week, some massive lights, and try again. Anyway, here are the videos.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otUi05V5h5M[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l127TfpLNhg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RveJCSFtK_I[/ame]

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Whoah, really cool footage.

So those cameras they use that actually show you the flight of the bullet most be ridiculously expensive and even more of a PITA to work?

The first two aren't terrible at all; the only one I found really dark was the last.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Whoah, really cool footage.

So those cameras they use that actually show you the flight of the bullet most be ridiculously expensive and even more of a PITA to work?

The first two aren't terrible at all; the only one I found really dark was the last.

In theory this is one of those cameras that can show the bullet. The problem is as you increase the speed you need exponentially more light. At the maximum frame rate of 6,000fps the picture is black even in bright sunlight.

For the high speed shots in inception they used 20k watt lights 6 feet from dicaprio. I can rent those lights here in town and will try again next week.

Khyber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Got them posted already, Teddy? They look good. They were fun to make. I want to try my 1911 sometime with the camera.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    Storage and Band width.

Think about this...

A 2 hour Blueray is 1080 at 30+ frames Per seconds (some can do 120FPS but there is some frame repetition with current technology ) that is a total of 108000 frames at minimum (Which is ~17-27 Gigs and at that it is a compressed size!!!).

High Speed is about 1500-6000 (wow, I didn't know it could go that high in HD+ resolutions)FPS. lets go for 2000 FPS so we could at least watch a decently fast hand gun round. That would be the equivalent of the above movie recorded in 54 seconds.

Go up to 4000 FPS and that would be 27 seconds

But the Ram buffer is not that big, I think they are normally limited to about 5-15 seconds of recording time and then could take an hour to transfer from buffer to Flash or HDD.

As far as the light requirement, the faster the capture (each frame),that means there are less photons of light hitting the CCD per capture so you need more and more and more light to make an image develop.

Last edited:

Khyber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Some of the camera setups for the more 'scientific' type events have 'strobe' type lights that are all synced with the event in question, just to get enough light for an image.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    The data is huge so the transfer over wire is the issue.

The CCD has direct access to a Ram buffer which is faster than a non proprietary interface.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    Does the camera have a syncing signal? At least the stuff we're high speeding wont melt in front of the camera if we can scrounge up enough lights!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom