Some M16A1 fun at Sherburne

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Just playing a bit with my new AR and GoPro at Sherburne. Sorry for the strange angle, I'm looking down the sights. I'll figure out how to film better with it soon...
    It's a Colt marked M16A1 upper 1/12 twist with full auto Colt BCG on a Century marked DPMS lower. If I still can in a couple months I'll probably get a different lower since this one won't let PMAGs function properly. I bought it because I wanted a retro AR like my father used in Vietnam. I swapped the A1 birdcage for a three-prong "duckbill" like the early ones he trained on in 1966. I kept the A1 birdcage so I can put it back on later and maintain the collectability of an A1 upper. It's my first AR and also the first time I've shot one and I have to say I love it. The recoil seems about the same as my M1 Carbine and it feels almost as light. I really dig it. The A1 furniture on it looked reproduction so I ordered some original glossy black Colt A1 furniture to replace it. That's a Versapod mounted via the bayonet lug, but it's too high with those benches for me...couldn't get a decent cheek weld. Anyways... enjoy some sort of first person viewing.

PS you can crank the video quality up to 720p+
    Direct link for those that it doesn't show up for: http://youtu.be/BM5ywYlaMAc

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I used to have a M16A1, I used to like to click the selector switch two times. But I wasn't paying for the ammo back then. Rock and Roll.

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I used to have a M16A1, I used to like to click the selector switch two times. But I wasn't paying for the ammo back then. Rock and Roll.

That definitely has to be an experience, I had the privilege of holding a real Colt M16A1 at a dealer's place in Warner Robins, Georgia, it definitely accelerated my desire to build an A1 clone. Also yeah, I hear you on ammo, I bought this rifle right after the panic started but I managed to get 200 rounds of that Hornady 55 gr FMJ from Bowie Outfitters when they were doing the 1 box of 50 per day deal and a BS member tipped me off to some 50 gr Federal Varmint Tip rounds at Walmart a week ago. Just shot 60 of the Hornady 55 gr today, runs great. Will have to try the Varmint stuff next time. But yeah, I've got plenty of ammunition stockpiled for my other caliber rifles but since this is my first 5.56 rifle, I'm being rather cautious with my 5.56 ammunition.

Looks like a fun day man. I've been wanting to pick up a go-pro for a while. They shoot some darn good video for their size!

They're pretty darn handy, you just have to get the right mounts for your purposes. I bought the suction cup mount for mounting on a vehicle and the head strap mount for on top of a ball cap and it's working pretty well so far. The video quality that they are capable of it quite amazing, it can also make time lapses etc. The sound quality is also excellent. Neat stuff honestly. I couldn't believe how small the Hero 3 is. Also being able to use a phone app to see what the camera is looking at comes in handy.

Last edited:

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The side from Krotz Springs was 95% dry yesterday, only a little wet spot in one of the turns. It also looked like they put some more gravel down in a couple spots so its very drivable now.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    The side from Krotz Springs was 95% dry yesterday, only a little wet spot in one of the turns. It also looked like they put some more gravel down in a couple spots so its very drivable now.

What length barrel at 1/12 ? Why that choice? I've got an m16a1 kit to put together, looking for a barrel setup recommendation.

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    What length barrel at 1/12 ? Why that choice? I've got an m16a1 kit to put together, looking for a barrel setup recommendation.

It's a Colt M16A1 20" full length rifle barrel with 1/12 twist in the "government profile" (not HBAR). That's what the XM16E1s and M16A1s came from the factory with. It's a real surplus Colt A1 upper, Century just put a DPMS semi-auto lower with their logo on it. The .223 (5.56x45) round was meant to be used in 1/12 twist when it was invented. It stabilizes the (original) 55 grain rounds the best. (M193 Ball) That being said, if you try to use the newer, heavier bullets like the 62 grain stuff, they tend to keyhole out of a 1/12 twist.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom