Someone needs to take up for RJF

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southlaems

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Houma, LA
    This morning (at 8:37) on the Walton & Johnson Show, there was a caller bashing Red Jacket Firearms. Apparently there was discussion on the show yesterday (I didn't hear it) and a guy went over there to see if you could just get in or if it was a hyped up busisness head strong from the fame of the show.

He reported that he drove to Baton Rouge and was not allowed in the parking lot. He explained that he told the security guy there that he was interested in purchasing a gun and was told they do not accept walk in customers. He would need to make an appointment explaining what he wanted and what he was interested in and they would call him back with a time to show up and discuss.

I dont have a horse in this race. I have never purchased anything from RJF nor Walton & Johnson but have heard good stuff about there on here. If this is true, that limits busisness tremendiously and if it is not, maybe someone should call the show and set the record straight.

jm2c :ninja:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    That is how it is. It is apointment only and has been for along time. Thier shop not the way I would do things but it's thier right to run it how they want. Want something bad enough make a apointment.

southlaems

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Houma, LA
    Why don't you tell the ending of the story? I heard it all too, finish the story man

Walton & Johnson said you could go down the street and just walk in to Buds (?????) if I remember correctly and purchase your guns and supplies there.

Thats about all I recall as I was actually ordering foor at a drive up when it was playing. Please add anything else that I forgot.

On another note..... I didn't know RJF was appointment only. If I would have known, I may not have posted this. What if the guy only wanted a holster? What is the screening process to just walk in. I enjoy Wills post and have watched a few times on TV so I am not trying to bash but curious.

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Lol they said they don't know how they will stay in business when you can go down to Hebert guns and they open the door for you and greet you with a smile

Lmao, c'mon now dubbya and j

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    That's why they got that fancy web site. Anywho it's pretty easy to contact them, set up an appointment, from what I understand you really don't have to go there at all. You can ship your rifle there for work to be done and have them ship it back and no need to burn gas or leave the sofa. I quit listening to W&J because it's just so dam political now.

southlaems

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Houma, LA
    Lol they said they don't know how they will stay in business when you can go down to Hebert guns and they open the door for you and greet you with a smile

Lmao, c'mon now dubbya and j

:rockon: Thats it. Heberts Guns. Billy Ed said, "Ya mean Wills little ole daughter doesn't swing open the door with a smile and say come on in like on TV.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Heberts is probably a paid advertisement on the show. They probably have never even been to heberts.

They have been advertising for Heberts Guns for a couple of years, supposely the best inventory in stock when it comes to a Gun shop and lay-away plans

I listen to W&J every once in a while but its always the same BS, (obama and illegals)

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    the real problem is that there are locals that CAN drive there but only know RJF from the show. They see the business portrayed as a walk-up type place, and drop by. There have been several episodes where *customers* just drop in and start asking about this or that, and some are even taken back to fire a few rounds. I admit, I'd be a little disappointed too if I drove all that way only to find out it wasn't as portrayed and I couldn't even get in the parking lot.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I don't have a horse in the race either- but I can certainly understand why they choose to operate by appointment only.

They are known mostly as a specialty / high-end custom shop- not a retail store. At the risk of sounding like a snob, I could not even begin to imagine a shop like this dealing with walk-ins from the general public. It would absolutely, for-sure, 100% without a doubt drive them batshit crazy.

If anyone thinks they are behind schedule now (which has everything to do with their reputation for quality work), I shudder to think how it would be if they tackled walk-ins looking for obsolete gun parts all day.....:doh:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    the real problem is that there are locals that CAN drive there but only know RJF from the show. They see the business portrayed as a walk-up type place, and drop by. There have been several episodes where *customers* just drop in and start asking about this or that, and some are even taken back to fire a few rounds. I admit, I'd be a little disappointed too if I drove all that way only to find out it wasn't as portrayed and I couldn't even get in the parking lot.

I want to say on the show I've heard them say it is by appointment only many times, at least during season one.

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I want to say on the show I've heard them say it is by appointment only many times, at least during season one.

maybe so, not saying they haven't. it is a stronger message IMO to a viewer, who may not know about the appt. only thing, when you see someone (an actor) who obviously didn't have an appointment just walk in and start asking stupid questions for the sake of drama. it has already been discussed here that there is staged drama, for filler between explosions, but obviously the guy who drove over there and called W&J was either truly out of the loop, or it was C.J. Hebert.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    W&J need their advertisers. Red Jacket obviously doesn't need to do much advertising these days. I doubt this hurts their business at all.

I always figured RJF was appointment-only to keep down on overhead. They don't need to pay college kids to unlock display cases for them :dunno:

Top Bottom