Sometimes Old Is Just A Lot Of Fun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Good article, I don't own BP revolvers, just a homebuilt hawkin's, but I have known many people with them, have fired them many times, and always thought the were great, effective handguns, and have been in my bucket list. I once met someone long ago who was a convicted felon, and he carried 3 in his car, loaded for protection, as you could buy them in TX at the time with no backround check (not sure of the laws now.) He thought it was funny how he couldn't buy a magazine fed handgun, but could walk into a store, show a DL to prove he was over 18, and get 3 guns that would kill you just as dead, just as fast. He is most likely in prison for firearm possession now, as I always thought just 1 suspicious traffic stop would end it for him.

300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi
    Good article, I don't own BP revolvers, just a homebuilt hawkin's, but I have known many people with them, have fired them many times, and always thought the were great, effective handguns, and have been in my bucket list. I once met someone long ago who was a convicted felon, and he carried 3 in his car, loaded for protection, as you could buy them in TX at the time with no backround check (not sure of the laws now.) He thought it was funny how he couldn't buy a magazine fed handgun, but could walk into a store, show a DL to prove he was over 18, and get 3 guns that would kill you just as dead, just as fast. He is most likely in prison for firearm possession now, as I always thought just 1 suspicious traffic stop would end it for him.

Interesting story about the convicted felon you knew. Yes, a cap an ball revolver at close range is nothing to laugh at.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Another interesting story/idea you may like, one of my friends (not the felon) used to "roll" the measured charge and ball into a rolling paper before we went shooting in the woods, then we could open one end, pour in the powder, and seat the ball.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Another interesting story/idea you may like, one of my friends (not the felon) used to "roll" the measured charge and ball into a rolling paper before we went shooting in the woods, then we could open one end, pour in the powder, and seat the ball.

Just like the civil war era battle loads. That's an awesome idea.

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Good article. I read somewhere that the old gunfighters who used percussion pistols would go to the edge of town, fire all 6 chambers, then clean and reload DAILY. They had to be SURE their guns would fire when needed. That routine must have gotten very old very fast. Interesting that the author's guns fired reliably months and years later.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    When I lived in Wyoming, an Oregon trail rider/re-en actor that came to our school claimed that most times, these old revolvers were only loaded with 5 cylinders, the 6th left empty and hammer down, as it was unsafe to carry the gun at half cock. He went on to claim it was a popular practice to carry your paper money in the empty cylinder. I don't doubt the 5 cylinders, If I was carrying one of these guns all around, on-off horses, I wouldn't trust the half-cock on the hammer either. As far as the money? Who knows, it would be interesting to roll a dollar in a cylinder and see if it burns when the adjacent cylinder is fired.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom