Sons of Guns - I am done

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    wow . that's a lot . LOL I really seem to remember covering all this , but ... ok :) 1 , Thank you , while our market has been national for 8 year's , BR has been our home . And "home" is more then just an address for us . Let me give ya'll a few bit's that may help you understand the show and why the producers put it together the way they do . In each 30 minute show , there's 23 minutes of air time . They have 2-3 .. call it "plot lines" going . These must have closure by the end of the segment . It's not a soap opera where **** just run's on forever , they want each show to stand as a completed job . Somtime this works out with real life , somtime it's a bit arbitrary . Time lines and deadlines , they can come from several directions , but they are real . There is no scripting . sometimes wish there was , we're not actors , we're just "us" . Try explaining what you're doing in a manner that everyone watching will understand ... With 160 hours or so of film to get compressed down into 10-15 minutes , no , they're not showing a rivet getting smashed for the 1000th time . The show is going to an hour . Filming starts in a week on season 2 . They will be able to show more detail , but , end of the day , it's not a show about making gun's [AGI videos are for that] it's a show about a group of people that make guns . It took a while for the production guy's to get to know us , it took a while for us to get to know them , I'm hopefull that going forward we'll all be better at our job's . We're a top ranked show on cable now , I'd like to redefine what "top ranked" means .

Glad to hear the show is going to an hour. My wife and I watch it every week. We think you guys are doing a great job. Mike with the cannon lives down the street from me. Drove by his place a couple weekends ago and he that thing out in his driveway. definitely an eye catcher!

One thing we were wondering. Are you guys filming and those stray people seem to wander in off the street on thier own? Like the guy thinking he could just buy a SBS or the old man that was very confused.

Last edited:

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Also, there are a lot of people complaining that they aren't showing enough how to. I think thats more of a legal issue than anything else, you cant show people how to make class 3 and AOWs on basic cable. Even though it says dont try this at home, if you make it simpler to do at home some moron will. I can see it now, MODEL ROCKET HOUSE FIRES LEVEL CHALMETTE :D

What do model rockets have to do with the NFA?

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Glad to hear the show is going to an hour. My wife and I watch it every week. We think you guys are doing a great job. Mike with the cannon lives down the street from me. Drove by his place a couple weekends ago and he that thing out in his driveway. definitely an eye catcher!

One thing we were wondering. Are you guys filming and those stray people seem to wander in off the street on thier own? Like the guy thinking he could just buy a SBS or the old man that was very confused.

You wouldn't believe the people that come up to the door . Some we let in and film , some we let in and handle , most , we let stand there till they read the " Appointment Only " sign that has been on the door for 4 years .

ltmdrbr

fishnhunt
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Will, Thanks for the clarifications and insight. After reading thru all of these posts I think many are missing the point you made about the show being about people making guns rather than just about guns. Sure, the unique aspects of the work you do drive to attract an audience. I mean run a promo clip that says "This week Will and the boys clean a .22 that has been under water for a year" and see how many folks it attracts. Certainly it is the flamehtrower (awesome episode that was incredibly moving to watch btw), Thompson sub, etc that is going to attract the national audience that the network, and of course advertisers, are looking for.

I am not familiar with the inner workings of how shows like this are produced, but I hope you get a fair amount of input into what you do and what they show. So far it seems to have been a pretty good balance. Yes, for me some of the pyro stuff seems a bit over the top, but I am sure there are many more that actually look forward to it. (I say it is over the top primarily because I am not there to enjoy blowing crap up, lol)

Thank you for doing a really good job of representing those of us from BR and south La in general. I would guess it is very easy to get producers that want to perpetuate the image that has grown over the years. Thankfully guys like you, Mike Kleibert, and Troy Landry just to name a few do not make all of us look like a bunch of illiterate yokels. Now if we can just get Shelby to tone it down a bit. (Then again I met someone that knows him and says he really is that throwed off. Said he was a great guy, just throwed off)

Again, thank you, congrats on getting the 2nd season, and continued success.

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Will, Thanks for the clarifications and insight. After reading thru all of these posts I think many are missing the point you made about the show being about people making guns rather than just about guns. Sure, the unique aspects of the work you do drive to attract an audience. I mean run a promo clip that says "This week Will and the boys clean a .22 that has been under water for a year" and see how many folks it attracts. Certainly it is the flamehtrower (awesome episode that was incredibly moving to watch btw), Thompson sub, etc that is going to attract the national audience that the network, and of course advertisers, are looking for.

I am not familiar with the inner workings of how shows like this are produced, but I hope you get a fair amount of input into what you do and what they show. So far it seems to have been a pretty good balance. Yes, for me some of the pyro stuff seems a bit over the top, but I am sure there are many more that actually look forward to it. (I say it is over the top primarily because I am not there to enjoy blowing crap up, lol)

Thank you for doing a really good job of representing those of us from BR and south La in general. I would guess it is very easy to get producers that want to perpetuate the image that has grown over the years. Thankfully guys like you, Mike Kleibert, and Troy Landry just to name a few do not make all of us look like a bunch of illiterate yokels. Now if we can just get Shelby to tone it down a bit. (Then again I met someone that knows him and says he really is that throwed off. Said he was a great guy, just throwed off)

Again, thank you, congrats on getting the 2nd season, and continued success.

Going "over the top " with the pyro is about the only real fun part of making TV LOL ;) It's mostly just work and more then I'd have ever imagined . Thank you though Itmdrbr , I'll tell you this , just about ever conversation we have , somehow get's back to " How can we do/be better ? " . From products to service to TV show , we're all determined take it to the top . Will

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    What do model rockets have to do with the NFA?

Nothing, I was using it as an example of things that were shown on the show that shouldn't be tried by people who are somewhat lacking upstairs. I also used the simplest thing to do(that ive seen) on the show as a humorous idea of what could happen. Not to be taken seriously, you know, humor.

Top Bottom