Sound Off

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Please post your participation in the ACTIVE support of the Second Amendment.

I'll start, current member of the NRA, GOA, and JPFO, as are my wife and daughter. The Missus and I are registered voters that will never vote for a candidate that supports any Civilian Disarmament legislation in any form no matter how "reasonable" it is. Who actually vote in the primaries and on election day.

Now watch the view count to this thread compared to the replies, sad state of 'support'

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    I carry a gun on a daily basis. I educate as many people as I can about gun laws, and gun rights in the State of Louisiana as well as the United States. I try and teach anyone I can about firearms, and firearm safety.

I don't consider being in any organization such as NRA as being active support, since they support gun legislation in some forms. It kind of contradicts your viewpoint of not voting for a candidate that supports any "Civilian Disarmament Legislation" when the NRA themselves were supporting the MG Ban in '86.

Just my $0.02

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    I carry a gun on a daily basis. I educate as many people as I can about gun laws, and gun rights in the State of Louisiana as well as the United States. I try and teach anyone I can about firearms, and firearm safety.

I don't consider being in any organization such as NRA as being active support, since they support gun legislation in some forms. It kind of contradicts your viewpoint of not voting for a candidate that supports any "Civilian Disarmament Legislation" when the NRA themselves were supporting the MG Ban in '86.

Just my $0.02

+1, and same, also, at least for now, chapter leader for SCCC at my university

number1gilla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am a member of the NRA. I also try to take an understanding, helpful, and non condescending approach to educating others about firearms. I find that one of the biggest reasons there are so many f'ed up rumors and bad info in the firearms community is lack of civilized conversation. I just recently began posting on gun forums and have mainly stayed away so long because of the holier than thou attitude so many have. If someone states something that is rediculous then politely correct them. Do not call someone a moron for asking a question you found the answer to three days ago. I have become somewhat of a guide at my place of employment in terms of passing along firearms knowledge. I am not trying to say I know everything but simply that when approached with a ludicrous statement (the ak is the only gun that can shoot underwater)(if you coat a bullet in teflon it will penetrate body armour)(a .50 bmg will take your arm off by just passing within three feet of you) I am polite and calmly explain why the statement is wrong. After having my current job for awhile now the people at work who have taken an interest in firearms comment all the time about the rude, arrogant, and unpleasant people they come in contact with at gun shops and shows. I know the people working at these places hear all sorts of crazy nonsense and deal with A**hole customers but it would be a benifit to us all to atract as many new shooters and collecters as possible to help protect our rights

Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    I am a NRA member as are my sons. I vote in every election, and always consider the candidate's stand on gun issues. I am a polite but vocal supporter of our gun rights whenever the issue comes up, and I'm always willing to share my limited knowledge of guns with anyone who is interested in learning.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA

What he said. i was NRA but it lapsed (my own fault and I plan on renewing) but also will become GOA.

i've also written to several businesses and representatives about firearm-free postings and about legislation respectively.

webb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA. / Mobile, AL.
    I am a Member of the NRA. I vote. I introduce people to our sport when I have the opportunity. I might be guilty of having that attitude when it comes to questioning my second ammendment rights. I "pledge" to try and work on that. The second ensures the first and the fourth. My workplace is full of pro-gun people, I am the guy that people ask if they are getting a good deal before a purchase. In return I ask for help with e-mail and phone correspondence when law makers are sitting on a bill. It works pretty well for all involved. BTW, nice thread subject.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    NRA Member in good standing. I write my Congressman/Senator on legislation. I even had a meeting with Congressman Baker on legislation. I vote every election. Do a fair amount of reading on current events. To celebrate the inaguration I renewed my CCL and will be carrying as soon as it arrives. I am also a member of Rotary, The Chamber of Commerce, and other civic organizations. I do more than sit on my butt and complain on the internet when I don't like something. :)

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    I'm a lifetime member of the NRA, and I've been using firearms for years to end the tree rat problem in my neck of the woods :P

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    NRA Life
    GOA
    Honey Island Range Officer
    Donate money/gear/supplies to the US Merchant Marine Academy shooting teams.

Always write and call to my representatives regarding any gun issue. Don't forget to write to them after they vote in your favor and thank them. I think that goes a long way. We all like to feel appreciated.

Same as below regarding education of others. People come to me with gun related questions all the time.

I hope to be able to help more to teach kids. I want to get the boy scout troop I am associated with out shooting and also try and get more involved with LSA and their Jr. programs for high power shooting.

Just my $0.02

I can agree with the first part of what you say.

As for the NRA, if you don't like them go with the GOA. They do not compromise. Larry Pratt is in the local and national spotlight on tv and radio (at least I see him often enough).

reelkaos

Rookie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Springfield
    NRA
    GOA
    Registered voter.
    I email and sometimes call representatives for different bills, not just guns.

Joining the GOA or NRA gives gun owners an organized platform. They may not always be the best, but they do get attention.

chrisjfontenot

Fontenot
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Louisiana
    I have been a member of the NRA as long as I can remember. My Dad always had me a membership when I was growing up. I am now a Life member and my daughter is a member. I do not vote for anyone that is against the second ammendment.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    On the topic of this thread, I just emailed Vitter and Landreau to voice my opinion regarding this new proposed legislation:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-45

As well, I try to articulately and calmly educate the sheeple about the real reasons behind gun control. The difference between gun violence prevention and control is HUGE and completely unrelated. I am a soon-to-be member of the NRA, and practice my rights to carry, own, and bare firearms. I also teach the young the rules of firearm safety, that there is a discipline that comes with the benefits of using them, and that there are repercussions for their actions. I believe responsibility is learned and embraced. I believe that by teaching it to more and more people is how we will turn this country around.

Top Bottom